Skip to main content

Save as much as $7
Select your trim:

Getting to know it: First Hybrid purchase

Tosh , 01/07/2024
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid MAX Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Prior 2016 MDX base which was fine but needed a replacement (high mileage).  I needed another SUV w/ real 3rd row capability.  Telluride SV other fam. vehicle.   GH:  2000 miles so far including road trip.  Only way to get Hybrid Max in this area is with Platinum package.  Lower engine options hp unacceptable for car of this size/capacity.  I LOVE TOYOTAs:  RELIABLE &  QUIET. Favorite car owned ever:  1997 Camry LE.   TOYOTA REALLY MISSED THE SWEET SPOT ON THIS MODEL:  NEEDED ALL TRIMS AVAILABLE WITH ABOUT 315 hp  HYBRID OPTION.    This vehicle is a refined monster:  no want for power.  Would give up some hp for better mpg: there is a want for better mpg.   Would have liked XLE but not paying this much to be stuck with insufficient hp.   Other options...these are my opinions. CX90: for some safety features have to go to higher models (Shameful) but these only come with captain's chairs in middle.  3rd row was unusable leaving an overpriced 4 seater with limited interior room/storage/trunk space...otherwise beautiful car/drive but overpriced because lack of functionality. Pilot:  Where Hybrid?  Wallflower styling: 1st & 2nd generations were distinctive.  Putting a trapezoid window in back of 3rd model to make it distinctive is just lazy:  Honda owners deserve better.  MDX:  Where Hybrid?  Great Styling. Overpriced.  Touch Pad...Acura...you must  be joking.  Acura isn't a real luxury brand but has luxury costs.  That being said, the MDX handling is AMAZING:  like a performance sedan.  Moving on from an MDX to a GH, I accepted I would be giving this up. Pathfinder:  Where Hybrid?  Great Styling/functionality.  Fit/finish second to Toyota.  ?reliability compared to Honda/Toyota. Lexus?  I think their styling is a combination of if J.Crew was mixed with Mad Max/Road Warrior.  It's just odd and styles go out of fashion (the original LS/Rx were beans/eggs with tires). Current TX Grand Highlander equivalent:  Grille looks like house aluminum siding...keeping with gaudy Lexus styling tradition.  Why pay more when lower TX models don't stack up to GH-platinum?  The TX F-Sport does seem like an awesome drive...but the cost/excess isn't practical.   Back to G.H. Hybrid Max.  Smooth ride.  Awesome room (storage/seating/cargo). Solid.  Amazing power (don't need it all).  Excellent Fit and Finish.  Lexus like (I've never owned one so hard to compare).  Don't have to rely too heavily on TouchScreen...but it isn't easy to use friendly: I'm old school and rely on dashboard buttons...really wish there were no touchscreens.  Exterior styling rather pedestrian (I like that...to blend in...no one knows this is a Lexus in Toyota skin) but handsome and timeless:  it won't go out of fashion (pay attention Pilot/Lexus).   Criticisms.  I would have none if I could get the XLE with around 315 hp.  Since I had to pay more for enough hp, with more cost comes criticisms. For this much money I have the following gripes... Colors:  Telluride, Pilot, Pathfinder, CX90 all come with MUCH better exterior color options (and interior).  Interior color:  GET RID OF BLACK DEFAULT on dash/upper interior, interior roof...it sucks up the light.   I would like to choose interior seat color as an option.  Fuel Tank Capacity sucks...esp for long trips.  Needs to hold about 4-5 more gallons.  I don't need the, "Grand Highlander," written in lights on the ground when I open the car at night...spend the money elsewhere. How about making the Touch Screen Easier to Use. No apparent off button for the Cruise Control...or I'm not smart enough to figure it out without watching a video on YOUTUBE. I can turn the radio on...but that's it. No self evident way to set AM/FM channel defaults. Won't list all my Pandora channels and I don't know how to fix this. Summary:  knew what I was getting, happy it's a Toyota.  Hope to drive it 10-15 years.Best option for me given what's currently available. Wish more hp on lower trims.   Grateful that I could accommodate the extra cost to get the Hybrid Max even though it means lower mpg/more money on fuel. TO ALL CAR MANUFACTURERS: I plead the following. Make the Dash/Tech/everything user friendly and so one doesn't have to rely on a Touch Screen. TOUCH SCREENS ARE DANGEROUS AND DISTRACTING. There are a lot of buyers older than me who will have no clue how to use it or get into trouble because the can't use it. I'm a 50 year old surgeon who performs Robotic Surgery: the company who makes the Robotic Surgical Platform is called, "INTUITIVE," because their platform is easy, INTUITIVE to use. Figuring out a car's Touch Screen or Tech shouldn't be harder than performing surgery. I guess I have to live with the idea that Technology has passed me by at age 50. I feel like the angry old man trope who can't deal with the modern world. Also, "ALL BRANDS," stop trying to make your transmission settings cute. YOU ARE GOING TO CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. It's simple with the shifter: PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, DRIVE, LOW GEARS. Current GH you have to shift into neutral and then up for Reverse then back down for Drive if you are wanting to back out of a parking spot then drive. Recent Acura had stupid buttons...ACURA...you are going to cause an accident with these. The ignition button is about the same size and feel as the Drive button (which is used again to switch from regular/sport mode). A couple times because of the feel and when I was tired I hit the wrong button and turned off the car. Recent Nissen Pathfinder rental same problems with shifting. ALL car manufacturers: how about not trying to be, "distinctive or unique," you are just being annoying and unsafe...shifting is nothing special...you don't need to be differently...you are just being stupid. No one is going to purchase your vehicle over another because the transmission shifting is unique.

3 out of 5 stars

Love this car!!!

Candice, 01/21/2024
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have the Hybrid Limited version. Not only is it a beautiful car but drives like a dream. The 3rd row is so much better, even I am comfortable sitting back there if needed. Better cargo room then most SUVs I have driven. I was getting about 32-33 mpg average during the summer and fall but with the colder winter I am averaging about 30mpg. It is a new model so of course you are going to have some kinks that need to get worked out(like some of the gas models having the transmission light up thing, although I heard Toyota has since fixed it) But overall just a fantastic vehicle. I don’t love driving, but I actually enjoy getting to drive this car.

Great Ride

Miguel , 09/03/2023
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love the Grand Highlander. Nice ride, very comfortable. The only downside is the 7” dash. After having the 12” on the Bronze Edition Highlander I miss it. But if I hadn’t had the 12” before I would not even have noticed. Quite lots of room. Love large glass roof. Great mileage.

5 out of 5 stars

Nothing short of amazing!

MBS, 10/11/2023
2024 Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid MAX Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The HybridMax is amazing, we LOVE it!

Great car