Used 2002 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews - 347 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

If you want a vehicle that lasts!
By Nancy Martin

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Camry is, by far, the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. We've had a Ford, Chevrolet, & Chrysler vehicles before that, but now I am completely convinced Toyota is the best value. We purchased it new in 2002. I still drive it every day. It has 210,000 miles on it. We just replaced the catalytic converter and an oxygen sensor, because our mechanic believes the car will run soundly for several more years. This car had absolutely no mechanical issues until it was over 12 years old. We did replace the timing belt when suggested, as per "scheduled maintenance." Only once has it failed on the road...and that was due to the alternator in the 13th year, which is to be expected. If we have spent more than $5000 in repairs over the last 16 years, I would be surprised. We have replaced the brakes twice; the battery twice, replaced a chip in the air conditioning system once ($10.00 from Autozone); repaired (not replaced!) the exhaust system twice, replaced the alternator once, and now the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. I generally still get about 24-25 mpg. I am considering shocks/struts, since I've decided to keep the car a few more years. I'd like to add that we are not good about vehicle maintenance and still the car performed well. The one thing I do not like about that car, is that the seats are not deep enough. But for this kind of reliability, I will put put up with that.

First year of Camry computer runs car
By Dalia

2002 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a dangerous car. This is the first year the computer totally controlled the accelerator and the brakes and they can fail. Toyota should pay to fix all these cars that are still on the road.

2002 camry xle
By sonya

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great reliable, like any other car, as long as you take care of the maintainece and treat it responsibility it will last.

Great car?
By Harold Stark

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been one of our all time favorites and we are now in our 70's. Very comfortable on long or short trips.

Good car but, not the greatest
By Steve D.

2002 Toyota Camry XLE V6 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had a Toyota camry 2002 xle v6 it was a good car I had about 200k on it. I kept on having to replace parts every year. It was something that was very unique like gas tank, I was always replacing rear rotors and brakes because a flaw on the camry is that the calipers would freeze causing the brakes to work harder on the front which caused the need for brakes to be replaced sooner than needed. I purchased my camry when it was 7 years old paying 7500 with 104,000 miles on it. Ive had to replace the oxygen sensors on it, the flex pipe twice the calatic converter, the gas tank along with the neck to the gas tank, the computer module. Also the car would stink like a burning smell. The steering wheel would always squeak when turning. I was also experiencing the engine to stall out randomly Ive taken it to Toyota dealership with them saying nothing is wrong with it except if it happens again let them know. This car has gotten me through college and graduate school and the beginning of my career. I held on to it as long as I could. The reason why I did get rid of it was I started noticing issues with the transmission and I could not back up on a hill it would just sit there and jerk. It had 200k on it and I'm sure if I were to replace the transmission and then next I would have to replace the engine with a car that was 15 years old and 200k on it. I was able to trade it in and purchase a new 4Runner SUV. Every year it was costing me about 1500 dollars to keep the maintence up including basic wear and tear. I was only getting 20 city and 26 highway. My new 4runner which is a 2016 gets 18/22 so really I wasn't loosing out to much on the gas so there wasn't a big difference there. Plus I'm tall and this was my only option for a college student and now that I am working I got something that I can grow into.