Used 2000 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Camry for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

347,000 Miles and still going strong

Paul, 08/09/2015
LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this Toyota Camry new from the dealer. I have never had any issues with this Camry. I have only had to do the recommend maintenance, and now with over 347,000 miles on it it is still running as strong as the day I bought it no oil leaks it is the best investment I ever made I will keep this car until it no longer runs and at the rate it is going I will expire before it does, best car ever built.

Most reliable car ever!

Diego, 09/28/2015
CE 4dr Sedan

I have a 2000 Toyota Camry ce automatic. It has been absolutely amazing, the acceleration is great and the speakers are really bass heavy and prime. It's also comfortable and easy to drive. This is one of the most reliable cars ever. You will almost never need any maintenance issues. It's also super practical because of it's big trunk. If you have an opportunity to get one you should do it, you will not be disappointed.

I know I'll never have a car made this good again.

Clay, 07/10/2017
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this 2000 Camry XLE as a certified used car from Toyota with about 25k on it. I had just been diagnosed with prostate cancer and i wanted to buy my wife a reliable car to drive if I wasn't around. That was over 15 years ago. I'm still around and so is the Camry. The only parts I have replaced (other than routine maintenance items) are the rear struts. They went bad at about 230k miles. The car now has 250k miles and runs, drives, and looks as well as it ever did. I don't know how far it will go, but I think now it could well outlast me.

The Best Vehicle We've Ever Owned

Nick, 10/22/2009
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

My grandfather purchased our 2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6 brand new in fall 1999 fully loaded with all the options and accessories: with only one option lacking: fog lights. I am happy to say no one has suffered as a result. It was effectively a Lexus ES. The 3.0L V6 engine in this car makes it the most responsive car I have ever driven. When I need to pass someone on the highway, it's a snap. I can't imagine having anything less under the hood. Yet it's so quiet at idle that I can barely hear it. This car can barrel down the highway at 80 miles per hour as smooth as silk. I will drive this car forever, or until it dies, which doesn't seem possible anytime soon. It's 100% reliable.

EGR valve

excamry, 07/18/2010
LE 4dr Sedan

At 88,000 miles the computer analyzed a faulty EGR valve. Replaced the valve ($170.00). The engine check comes back on. I took the the vacuum connected little valve right next to it out and examined it. The top comes off and it contains a little 1" diameter filter inside. Replaced the filter and check engine light was history. Sorry I spent $179 when a little foam filter from the lawnmower did the trick. Otherwise the carry has been a gem never a repair in ten years. This is for doityourselfers to save some money

Great Car!

suzie, 12/14/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Camry new and it now has 110,000 miles and is still driving great! I do all the routine maintenance on it, regular oil changes, had the timing belt changed before it went out... as precaution. This particular Camry must have been well built. The only trouble I had was the battery went dead and I had to replace it. I'm looking for a new vehicle but can't hardly bring myself to buy one! I won't get rid of my Camry no matter if I buy a new car!

250,000 miles and going strong

Lauren, 04/04/2017
CE 4dr Sedan

Great reliable car! I have had this car for 17 years and it has had minimal problems, besides the normal wear and tear. Cheap to maintain, but must be kept up to get a fantastic lifespan. The power is not the best, but if you are buying a Toyota sedan you are buying for durability not power. Only problem arising is that I am starting to smell a burnt oil smell. Overall, a great first car with a lot of storage!

So far so good

Greaseman, 06/15/2010
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I've only had this car about a year and a half. So far this car has been great. Only have had one problem which was that I needed to replace the starter at 106,000 miles. The dealer wanted $307 for a new starter. I found a new Bosch starter for $125. I love the V6 engine. It's very quiet and smooth and is a very good highway cruiser. The premium sound system is top notch. My mechanic told me I made a good choice and in his opinion the Camry is one of the best cars built today for the money. Gas millage is what is advertised as long as you don't get into the throttle. Got 27.2 mpg on a trip to Vegas. The large gas tank gives a good range between fill ups.

Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned

topspin456, 04/07/2015
LE 4dr Sedan

I got my Camry when it had 90,000 miles on it and have put 70,000 miles on it in the past 4 years. During this time I have had no expensive issues. I just got new tires last summer and will likely need to replace the brakes soon for the first time. About 5,000 miles ago the driver's side door handle came off, which I guess is pretty common with this year of Camry. It's a pretty simple fix that you can look up on youtube though. My dad had a 95 Camry that he traded in at 290,000 miles and when he drove his new Impala off the lot he missed the smooth ride of his Camry. Toyota's are just well made. #1 in reliability in my opinion.

Satisfied Camry Owner

California Camry, 08/29/2010
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

A couple of years ago I used Edmunds in the process of selecting a used vehicle. I was impressed by the favorable remarks of countless Camry owners. Subsequently, I purchased a well maintained 2000 V6 XLE with about 90K on it. I have been very satisfied with this car. Rides nice, plenty of power with the V6 which I recommend to anyone who needs the extra power for highway merging and traveling up steep highway grades. Getting about 27 MPG highway with the A/C on. No problems inside or out. Recently had the routine 90-100k maintenance performed. Prospective owners should not skip this. Not a luxury or performance auto, but dollar for dollar the most reliable and practical sedan so far.

I Can't Wear It Out - No Excuse To Buy A New One

Marsha S, 09/21/2015
LE 4dr Sedan

The 2000 Camry is a legend at our house. Other cars come and go, and it soldiers on. You forget that things can go wrong, because nothing ever does. We do a good job of suggested maintenance, but I can't say enough about the reliability and comfort of this car. It wasn't fabulous in deep snow, and we live at the top of the hill, so I bought snow tires for it and that solved the problem. AT 150k miles, the only problem is that it does now look like an older car, because it is one. I think a new one would be good for my "image" but I don't know how to find a new one that will really measure up. Great job, Toyota!

Great car

Joe, 05/06/2018
LE 4dr Sedan

One of the best cars I have ever owned. After 17 years it still runs smoothly and looks good too.

Love My V6 XLE

ShaAnn, 05/01/2010
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my car use with 32,000 miles. It now has 107,000 and no problems at all. One spark plug change and front brakes, use Mobil 1 oil every 6 thousand miles. Love the car, the leather, stereo, rims, and moon-roof. Nothing like it. My 96 Mustang blew head gaskets at 100,000 just after the warranty was up. I will keep my Camry, thank you.

Best generation of Camry, in my opinion

loneranger07, 05/14/2014
LE V6 4dr Sedan

Always liked this generation the most, later they declined in build quality and too many electronic refinements: drive-by-wire throttle, automatic climate control. Also they stopped offering V6 with stick. Mine has leather, alloy wheels, sunroof. Bought used in 2009 with 64,000 miles for around $7500, probably could have negotiated dealer down but really wanted this car because of rarity. And besides regular maintenance and some worn out parts: suspension springs, clutch, and evap. charcoal canister, have had no unexpected issues. Engine is one of the best Toyota has ever made, great compromise between power and fuel economy. We have 123,000 now, happy that we bought it. K&N air filter too

Great vehicle

Steve, 11/06/2018
LE 4dr Sedan

This cars reliability is unmatched.Feel safe driving this car.No issues at all,only routine maintenance.Would buy another Camry in a heartbeat.

Best older gen Camry

Tim Ruth, 11/19/2015
LE 4dr Sedan

Camry's really don't get better than this in many ways. The next year was the remodel with engine and safety improvements. But after 2000 Camry's became small Buicks with Toyota Quality. These Camry's feel strangely like say a older Rover(English) sedan. And thats a good thing. This Camry is ALL about ' legendary reliability'. My Camry took care of me like my Mom. I can't say more!! I drive a Acura TL now and when I get in the Camry I still love it. How do Yota's roll 350K?? Because ever nut, bolt, and most of the vehicle you don't see is done Toyota Right.

Reliable Work Horse

Larry Cass, 07/10/2008
LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with more than 70,000 miles, and has been a very reliable, and trouble free car. The powerful V6 engine delivers a lot of power even when climbing hills and mountains--lots of torque.

Transmision

T.K., 01/11/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in 2004 because of it's reputation. It's been very reliable, only wearable parts needed to be replaced. Although when I first got it, I was spending a small fortune trying to keep the check engine off, just learned to live with it (they really need to fix their sensors). For 5 years it has been a good daily commuter, until last week when the transmission went out, which will cost $3000 to replace. It's a lot of money for a car with 135K. I was planing on driving this car for at least another 50K, most cars now a days will run at least 150K.

Loyal Toyota Owner

Linda, 03/20/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

My Toyota Camry has required absolutely no repairs, other than regular maintenance, until now at nearly 170,000. How many other car manufacturers can boast that type of reliability. The transmission finally went out. I replaced it with a wrecked model's low mileage transmission and she's running like new again. Engine light has been on for nearly 6 years now without any problems. Looking forward to driving her until she reaches 300,000 miles. Then I'll be buying another Toyota Camry!

BEST car ever

hellosunshyine, 08/04/2014
LE 4dr Sedan

I'm sad to say mine is gone, I rolled it while driving the canyon, both me and my sister came out fine. Whoever did it's safety tests did it right. Got GREAT gas mileage and had no problems! I would definitely get another camry.

4 years in LA traffic...

hermesc, 05/05/2011
LE 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for almost 11 years (bought it brand new) and drove it for 4 years in stop and go traffic in LA before moving out of California. It's a great vehicle, very reliable, comfortable, and good gas mileage. Even at almost 170k miles, not much to complain about. I make sure to take it in regularly for it's maintenance at a certified Toyota dealership (it's well worth the slightly higher prices). Hoping to keep the car well past 250k, and there are no signs suggesting otherwise.

Sad it's Dying

shanny720, 08/12/2012
LE 4dr Sedan

My grandma talked me into buying a used 2000 Camry LE from a sporty car that I had been eying. It was the best decision made. It had 40,000 at purchase (2004) and how has 162,000. It has been reliable driving through MN snowstorms and flash floods. In fact, I've made it through snow where bigger vehicles had gotten stuck, and "puddles" where bigger vehicles had flooded. Few problems. The only reason why it's dying now is because I didn't change the oil every 3,000 miles. VERY important to keep up on the oil changes with this car!! I was hoping to keep it around for another few years. Make sure to also use Toyota parts.

Family hauler for 13 years, still going strong

bond_fanatic18, 05/18/2013
CE 4dr Sedan

My parents' third Camry and our family hauler for 12 years until my dad bought a Honda CR-V last July. Our Camry has been all over Eastern North America including the Maritimes (PEI, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia). I learned how to drive on this car and my mother drove it to work for several years. Never any problems, except a small rattle that started 2 years ago, goes away when the engine warms up. This thing is a tank! It has 144K (about 89,000 American miles I think) and still has tons of life left in it, barely any rust. I drove it to high school and as a high school (university now) student I love it, fantastic first car, will last forever, is a beast in the snow, and reliable as hell.

Reliable, and fun!

tyylerr, 08/02/2011
LE 4dr Sedan

I bought my camry new in 1999. It has been the most reliable car I have owned. It replaced my 1996 Lexus ES, and had better options, and was more comfortable. I've changed the oil every 3,000 miles, which is just about every month for me, I'm a. The 2.2i4 has almost as much power as my Lexus had! I've been in 2 accidents, only damage was to the front corner, and was cheap to fix. Replaced the timing belt, both ignition coils, and 2 oxygen sensors, and it still runs like new! 278,823 miles and counting! I plan on buying a new camry this week, deffinately keeping this one for my sons first car!

Going, Going, Still going

bill knab, 03/20/2016
LE V6 4dr Sedan

Toyota means reliability, not flash or gadgets. Do you want a dependable, efficient, safe car or a home entertainment system on wheels with ignition systems that can take your life like GM? March, 2018 I gave the car to my daughter and son in law and its still going at 200K! A few things don't work like power mirrors, an instrument dash light is out, but still no qualms about driving it dependability and safety wise. I wanted a sedan as my main trip car for long trips. With the V6 it was fun to drive and I didn't sacrifice too much in mileage. As of this writing Honda dropped the V6 in the Accord so that leaves the Camry and Altima for the family man who needs a family sedan versus a performance car but wants something fun to drive . The most recent Toyota Camry commercial with the family in the camry, deer and camper says it all about the target market.

Love My Camry

Holly, 05/04/2010
LE V6 4dr Sedan

I have had my Camry for 10 years and have loved it. It has needed minimal repairs: new brake pads after 5 yrs, new battery after 10 years and a couple mufflers. It is fun and extremely comfortable to drive, and in fact is the only vehicle seat that doesn't aggravate my back condition. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Best car for the money by far!

BigJake, 10/25/2005
LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned 158 cars over the past 14 years. I am an expert on honda, toyota, and nissans. I originally bought a '99 camry and I ended up giving it to my mother. She now has 210K on it and it still drives just like mine with 70K. Through all my experience I have decided that the 2000-2001 toyota camry is the best car for your money. The styling is a bit plain-jane shall we say, but after you've driven one for awhile you get attached because it just feels so damn reliable. These cars are extremely quiet and their road manners have a peaceful, serene feeling like no other car I've owned. If the timing belt breaks, it won't harm the engine. I'm in love with these cars.

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

lvrebel85, 03/29/2010
LE 4dr Sedan

This car has been with me almost six years and it's been a good run. This was my college car so it probably got quite a bit more abuse than most, especially in the Nevada desert with 115+ degree days. I love the reliability and with regular maintenance still runs like new at 140k. It's at the age where more problems pop up (bad cam/crank seals, timing belt, transmission, pwr window regulator, brakes brakes brakes) but I think any car would do the same. fuel econ worsens with the age of the car too. They don't make camrys like this anymore or else I'd buy a 2010 - shame. My next purchase will be a '10 Ford Fusion; hopefully it will be as good to me as my camry.

Love It!!

Healthlady, 03/04/2004
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

This is my first Toyota, but won't be my last. I truly love my Camry. It was a hard choice between the Camry and the Accord, but I am glad that I chose the Camry. I am glad that I purchased a vechile with all the options, because I use them all!!

On reliable car

Anonymous, 09/09/2016
CE 4dr Sedan

I got the car when it had 77k on it. Seven years later and 30k miles on it, it still is running. Other than the exterior (which rusted near the wheel arch, bottom of the car, and door frame) the car runs smooth. When I first got the car, it had an alternator problem two months later. Then the brake pads needed to be replaced at around 89k. Around 90k, the AC went out as it had a leak. Replaced it for $600 and the problem wasnt solved. Then the timing belt and water pump needed to be replaced. Gasket seal for the transmission pan at 98k, followed by an exhaust system replacement at 100k. Then finally the spark plugs had to be replaced even though it was replaced less than two years ago. Seems like the original spark plug that came with the car was superior than the one bought at Advanced Auto Part.

Best vehicle I've ever owened

T. Alva, 06/03/2008
LE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new in 1999 (V-6 2000 model). I've put over 168,000 miles on the car (driven across the US twice). In snow, ice, & sandstorms. Never a whimper of trouble. Getting 30 mpg. at 70-75 mph, and 20 mpg in-town. Replaced tires three times (Michelin Hydra - the best), windshield once, brakes done three times. Use only Mobile-1 oil. The only problem I had was when replacing timing-belt, had a new water-pump installed since the access was there. Service center used a non-toyota (cheap) pump that went bad in two months. New Toyota pump replaced and been running perfectly since (68,000 miles ago). I hate the thought of having to sell this car.

No More Toyotas For Me

Pgcorky, 05/15/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I think we all know the Camry history, solid - if unexciting - performance coupled with legendary Toyota reliability. Unfortunately, it's clear that Toyota has seriously lost its edge and my confidence. At just over 80,000 miles the engine on our Camry seized - and it's likely that 'oil gel' or sludge is the culprit. Even following the manufacturers recommendation of 7,500 miles between oil changes was insufficient. So we basically now have a junk car when we thought we had another 100,000 miles in her. I guess I'm a Honda man now.

Oldie but young in miles

Ray Robison, 02/13/2017
LE 4dr Sedan

I'm selling my car because of my age disabilities. I'm driving so little that my battery kept dying on me until I just recently (February 2017) had to buy a new battery. This car has thousands of good miles left in it. I sold my car a year ago - hated to part with it. THE CAR HAS BEEN SOLD!

Outstanding car

dewey, 07/04/2008
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

Bought car new, just put first set of brakes at 75000 miles. Put an oxygen sensor in at 72000. No other repairs as yet, just normal service intervals and one set of tires, uses no oil. We'll run it forever. I've owned 8 Toyotas and this is one of the best manufactured; also have now a 2006 Avalon.

Car Rating

Sandra Gums, 04/28/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

The Toyota Camry is a very nice and is a very reliable to drive. The gas consumation is good. I only wish that the interior came standard with more comfortable seats (Lumbar etc.), also when you adjust the seat (manuel) the seats don't rise very far so I have to use a pillow so I can see over the steering wheel. Other than that the car is excellent.

My Camry

Stephanie Benavidez, 05/17/2002
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I leased my 2000 with the full intention of keeping it for only the duration of the lease. I'll be keeping it at the end of my lease in October. I love the car.

I love it!!!!!!

Camry Forever, 03/15/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

Brought new in Fall of 1999. Regular oil changes and brakes, had to replace water pump and timing belt recently. It has been a great purchase use it now in the winter and for trans to work and back. Brought used CTS 2yrs ago, which is okay but I hate to say it. If I had to decide btwn the two I would take my Camry over the CTS although it has twice the mileage. Will probably sell Camry next year, trade in CTS and buy a new Camry if economy improves. The lucky kid that buys this car is going to get a good deal.

Wow! Awesome

BuckleUpSon, 10/04/2009
LE V6 4dr Sedan

I've been driving this car for about five years, absolutely no problems. Which was a pleasant surprise considering 4 of the 5 years were from college driving, which was very tough on the engine I'm sure. Other than regular scheduled maintenance (oil changes, filter changes, etc.) I haven't had a single problem with the car, not one. Also, I have the v6 model, and was quite surprised at how "peppy" the car was even at high speeds.

Best car ever

J Schaefer, 10/06/2009
LE V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car in 2004 with 48,000 miles. Currently has 222,668. Still on original brakes. Absolutely no repairs during ownership...has survived two deer crashes. Will drive 'til the bolts fall out. Certainly will replace with another Camry. Interior and exterior still look like new. Check engine light comes on when refill with gas. Mechanic turns it off each time I get oil changed. Terrific car!!

Average Car

W.G.B, 12/05/2009
LE 4dr Sedan

I have owned three Camry's in the past and have found most to be great cars. The 2000 Camry has been a disappointment because it started to have different maintenance issue. It started with rear-end noises that were hard to diagnose. It turned out to be a rear barring. Then I had the the shocks replaced front and back which started several noises first rear which turned-out to be bad shocks. Then the front noises started which still are not resolved. Many parts may be the problem say the mechanics. The parts are expensive of course

10 years old and still running strong...

Ben, 03/09/2010
CE 4dr Sedan

I've been having my 2000 Camry since 2005, before that my aunt owned it. she had regularly scheduled maintenance ever 3,000 mi as have I with minimal maintenance. It's easy to work on and drives smoothly @ 148,000 mi. Added short ram to it and have only changed out the radiator plugs and wires, and replaced gasket seals on the valve head and oil pan and door handles. other than that its an Awesome responsive ride.

Reliable car for work

quin, 04/07/2010
LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 and has use for 154,000 miles till today. Had it maintenance with oil service ( 4 quarts of SAE 5W30 oil preferred for Toyota 1MZ-FE engine good for fuel economy and good starting in cold weather) with oil filter changed @ 4,ooo miles as recommended by the manufacture or penzoil synthetic oil $20(Kmart) @6,000 miles. Had my coolant flush at about @50,000 miles with 1 gallon of antifreeze coolant $18 at toyota dealer. Had my 1 gallon DextronII transmission fluid $10 done @50,000 miles. Front Brake pad ($40pad+ $40labor)change @40,000miles and Back brake pad change@ 70,000miles. Battery change @6years. Windshield wiper change @5years. Tires change@40,000miles.

Never again

enrun, 12/20/2002
LE 4dr Sedan

Most uncomfortable car I have ever owned. Power seat adjusts only 4 ways. When seat is back to where it needs to be I have to extend arms to reach steering wheel. If I adjust wheel down it rubs legs even with seat completely down. Power is barely adequate and fuel economy is only so-so for a 4 cyl car. I expected more. Road noise is so bad that radio has to be turned up substantially at highway speed. American cars had better radios 25 years ago.

I love my Camry

Paul Huet, 12/30/2002
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I love my Toyota Camry. I love everything about it. My Camry is always reliable, and it is a pleasure to drive. I love the way it looks inside and out. I could not be happier with my it.

easy going ride

torres, 01/20/2003
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a Toyata after driving my brother inlaw's Toyota. I feel good driving this vehicle. This vehicle model looks better the the latest model.

Well Pleased

SteveR, 11/16/2003
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

We bought this car to replace our 1997 Camry LE. While some interior finishing seemd to be inferior to the LE, the XLE overall is an excellent car - comfortable, reliable, and fun to drive. Recently we noticed some throbbing of the brake pedal and it appears that the rotors are warped and worn to the point of requiring replacement; brake pads and tires are worn out and require replacement at 62,000 km (38,000 miles). At least, that is what the dealer tells me; seems a bit soon to me. Windshield replacement is cheap.

6 cyl ......the only way to GO

camry red xle, 08/16/2004
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

I love driving my camry...I owned rav 4 and celica and sporty is my style but the camry has been the Best..I gave up sporty for reliablity. My sport car is a volvo convetible. two GREAT car choices I am Happy with..

The Camry

Nick2000, 10/30/2004
LE V6 4dr Sedan

One good Car thats all I can say. We bought the car certified in April of 2003. For 3 years old we got it for just under 13,000, and 36,000 miles. Not one problem after a year and a half. The car has the reliabilty part down to par, but now we have to get some excitment. The V6 was probably the fastest in its class for 2000. The suspension is a little bouncy, and the interior is a little ugly compared to the Celica. Toyota could have a better car then the passat all around. But deffinitly would buy another one. Best car I ever bought when it comes to down to the money. Awsome sound system and its not the JBL version.

Camry XLE

loveit, 02/18/2005
XLE V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first Toyota and I love it. V6 has good pick up and power. XLE model has all the options to make it comfortable and fun to drive. Bought it used but it was a Toyota certified vehicle. Haven't had any mechanical problems.

2000 Camry love it

David Carrier, 04/27/2006
CE 4dr Sedan

Love my 2000 Camry.You raise the hood to check the fluids, you close the hood... because it needs nothing but usual oil changes,etc. Although i have had to put on brakes on him a couple of times (70k miles). That's the only thing, really are the brakes. Other then that ... love that car. Got my dad away from Cadillac after he saw the way my Camry wasn't in the shop!! dave

51050