Used 2012 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 4Runner for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

It is what it isn't

urbanadventur, 06/23/2013

Dollar for dollar, the latest generation 4runner is the best body on frame suv ever. Obviously, this is not a car. It is not a crossover which is nothing more than a tall car in suv clothing. The 4runner eats rocks and mud for breakfast and then with one pass through the car wash rolls down main street with class and style. It is not designed to slalom like a sedan. This is intentional. The 4runner ride is exceptionally smooth and the off road capabilities and reliability are not comparable to any other vehicle in this price range. If you want nothing more than a tall car buy a Durango, Equinox, Cherokee, Explorer or even a Highlander. If you want a real suv buy a 4runner.

Makes Me Laugh!!

pipes3, 02/21/2013

I laugh every time I read the reviews about the 2012 4runner because they are all way off!! People, please remember this is not a sports car or a preppy crossover which all of the experts unfairly compare this truck to. What these so called experts do not realize is that there is nothing out there comparable to this burly, reliable, beast of an SUV. Consumer reports with the 4-foot red-head who bashes the 4runner is ridiculous! She has the truck going through a slalom and says there is too much body roll! Really!! This truck is solid as a rock, will run for 300,000 miles and looks tough as nails. Do yourself a favor and test drive this truck and do not listen to the bad reviews....

Got What I Expected...

eglzfan, 12/26/2012

Purchased a 2012 4Runner 6 months ago. After 10K mi. the vehicle still performs as it did on day 1. The 4L engine is the largest V6 available in a mid sized SUV. Fuel mileage avgs 19-20 mpg with the best at 23 on longer road trips. If you actually test drive this SUV you will notice a stiff ride, similar to that of a truck...that's what I like about it. Ample storage space satisfies the needs of our family and all our stuff. Dashboard electronics work as expected and nav system got me up north without a problem. Biggest complaint would be lack of headroom. At 6' I'm at the upper limit without hitting my head on the roof. Compared to similar SUVs out there this is a great buy.

It's a Truck!

toytruck1, 03/15/2013

Had my 2012 for 10 months with 8,200 on the clock. Be aware: the 3 models have different suspensions; the SR5 being the softest. I didn't need the Trail, the Limited was a bit pricey, so I opted for the SR5. I swapped out the soft factory shocks for Bilstein HD's all around. Well worth it. No more nose dive or side to side wallowing. Gas mileage excellent. I consistently average 19.5-20 mpg. T4R is built like a tank and very tight; no squeaks or rattles. A few caveats: a few interior bits are cheap (door grips), transmission is quick to upshift, could use more sound deadening. Engine feels like it has less than 270 hp, but mash the pedal and it scoots. No problems to date. Nice truck!

ALMOST 5 YRS OF OWNERSHIP

ROBERT, 07/22/2017
SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our third 4runner & (still have the 1998 limited & the 2008 limited). The 2012 runs great but is a little underpowered getting up to freeway speeds quickly. Doors sound tinny when closing. More room inside than the older models. Third row seat never used to date. Leather option still looks great. Nav screen not illuminated enough. Overall satisfied as it never has had problems. Plan to keep atleast a few more years. It's garaged and i use amsoil with mobil one oil filters on all three.

Fun and Awesome!!

mrc12, 01/09/2012

I love my '12 4Runner. I previously drove an '08 Highlander which I liked very much but it had a very hard ride. I originally never considered the 4Runner because I thought it was too much of a truck. Once I drove it, I realized I was wrong. The ride is smooth and quiet with minimal road noise. The ride is also very soft and floaty. Some people may like this, others not. The vehicle does dip a bit when breaking though. When I hit bumps or ride over RR tracks, I don't feel a thing. I have the sport seats, w/ 3rd row and Entune/NAV package and it is fun to use. The HD radio sounds great for stock. Heads turn when I drive by and I can say this is the most fun I've had driving a car.

So Far Its Great!

echiasson, 05/02/2012

I have about 500 miles on it so far. I am 6'2" and if i put the seat all the way back i can barely reach the petals and still have room in the back seat to spare. You don't buy this SUV to get 40+ MPG but i avg. about 19 MPG so far and the engine isn't nearly broke in yet. Purchased the Premium Package with the SR5 and the leather interior is awesome! sun roof is good. Entune Nav is somewhat complicated. Took a few different techs to show me how to use it. Make sure you have Unlimited Data on your smartphone because having Pandora and Bing is awesome but it can eat up data packages quickly. I highly recommend this vehicle!!

A Mini Land Cruiser

ixuonrahm, 05/30/2012

Owned vehicle for 3 weeks. So far no problem, hope in future too. Like its tall trim, off-road capabilities and features. The cabin needs some improvements though - stereo isn't as good as my previous Audi A4's one, a little too much of plastic. The navigation screen is way too tiny, yet useful. Entune is a great feature, yet needs to be filled with more usefull apps. Bluetooth iPhone integration is another nice feature. The leather trim is very comfy. 2nd row provides plenty of space for passengers. 3rd row will also be needed one day, so it's good to have it. Very happy with it, so it won't disapoint me in the future.

A Toyota for life

James, 05/04/2018
Trail 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Can't go wrong with Toyota. Always starts. Pretty comfortable for small to mid size person. Not for big or tall

Poor Over Road Ride

dmacri, 09/27/2012

I just purchased a New 2012 4runner Limited. I purchased the Limited over the SR5 because it was supposedly smoother riding. The vehicle pulses through the steering wheel at all speeds. I spoke to Toyota and had it back to the dealership twice. They both told me that it was a truck and that is the way it rides and I should live with it. I owned 12 new trucks before this and none rode this bad, of course none were a Toyota. I personal feel that it is th 20" wheels and tires that they put on this vehicle. They are hard riding and poor handling. I am limited to 2 tire manufacturers with these wheels so i can not even buy touring tires.

51050