Used 2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Promaster Cargo Van model:

What a nightmare
By Jordan B.

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 1500 Low Roof 3dr Van w/136" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this new, didn't drive it very much initially, which we greatly regret, as we could have used our state lemon law. The rear door latch was broken when we bought the van. It was repaired five times by the dealer. We started driving the van more in 2017 and hit some major problems: van started going into limp mode at around 15k miles. The check engine light went on, van wouldn't go over 40 mph, and engine would rev to 1500 RPMs. The dealer said they might have to charge us to diagnose problem. My husband did a quick internet search, saw this is a common problem with Promaster vans. Shut down car and restart once, this takes it out of limp mode. Restart it a second time and the check engine light went off. We hoped this was a one time thing, but it kept happening. The Service Department at the dealer is worthless. They pretend that we are the only Promaster owners having problems, treat us like we are unreasonable for being upset that our van is so unreliable. For each repair they keep the van for a minimum of 2-3 weeks. We have to call frequently to get status updates. For limp mode, the dealer replaced the throttle position sensor, but this did not work. When we took it back a second time, they replaced the main computer/PCM. When we picked up the van after this repair, some of the lights (seat belt, battery) stayed on on the dashboard. The dealer thinks this is the instrument cluster. They want to charge us for this. At around 16k miles we heard a loud sound in the engine. The dealer said they might have to charge us to diagnose and repair this, but it was a broken fly wheel, covered under the 5 year powertrain warranty. The service advisor told us not to take this on long trips, but to "stay local". So we have a $30k van with 16k miles on it that we can't use. When we picked it up after the fly wheel repair, it started making a different engine noise. We dropped the van off again at the dealer to replace the instrument cluster and diagnose this new noise. After 2 weeks they hadn't even attempted to diagnose the noise, just called us and told us the van was ready to pick up. We refused to take possession of it until they determined what the noise was. The service advisor yelled at us, said, "You'll never be happy", and "What am I supposed to do, it's not pulling any codes". We finally got the service manager to agree to diagnose the new noise - it is a broken idler pulley (which they'll charge us for). Or is it? The dealer really doesn't seem to know what to do with these vans, just keeps replacing parts hoping that something will work. So now we are out of our 3 year warranty, and we're too late for our state lemon law. I have contacted a lemon law firm that thinks we may have a case. There is the federal lemon law, breach of warranty, and basic consumer safety laws that may cover us. If we had just driven the van more when we first got it, we would have had a very clean cut case with the lemon law and not had to go through an attorney. We have also called Fiat Chrysler, but all they do is recommend arbitration. It's non-binding to the consumer, but if you agree to terms from arbitration, you have to sign away your right to a future class action suit against FCA, and no way would I do that. These Promasters are a nightmare and there may very well be some sort of class action litigation in the future.

I loved it until the transmission fell out...
By Chris

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 3dr Van w/159" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Transmission mount broke at 28,000 miles, Chrysler said mount is not covered under Limited Warranty. Dealership did cover it though, I got lucky. Brakes and struts bad at 30,000. Trans-axle bad at 31,000 miles. When it rains it pours with this mistake of a Van. It probably was a decent van until Chrysler got a hold of it.

I really wanted to love this van
By Long Time Chrysler Buyer Feeling Cheated

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 3dr Van w/Extended Length (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Plagued with numerous problems. Tons of recalls. Less than 20,000 miles and needs all new brakes and rotors. When I drive it, the wheels are hot to touch and sometimes smoking. Headlight bulb replacement 3 to 4 times a year, and not an easy change. leaks everywhere. Bad wiring everywhere. Very few dealerships can work on them, and in my case, they are pretty incompetent. Ram doesn't seem to care about this. Servicing the engine is horrible. location of the fluid fills are horrible. Same for oil filter location. The trans leaks, but there is no dip stick to check level! Front clanking bump sounds developed after about 10k miles. Trans periodically slips and changes gears for no reason. As someone who uses this van to earn their living, not only it has cost me lots of money to maintain, I have probably lost triple that in lost work because it was in the shop. If the engine or trans goes, it will put me out of business.

Go with the Transit or the Sprinter
By Ken

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 3dr Van (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Last company I worked for leased a fleet of these overpriced dung-heaps. The electronics are glitchy, and the factory rushes these things to the lots. That being said, connectors come loose (mainly with lights), and during the first cold snap, half of these things spit out EVERY error and warning message stored within the vehicle's computer. Fuel economy is CRAP compared to the Transit, Sprinter, and even the Nissan NV (the NV was HUGE). Don't buy these unless you wanna spend a lot of quality time in Firestone's lobby.

Very satisfied
By Ahmadabdalla

2014 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 3dr Van (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love my van