Used 2016 Nissan Titan XD Consumer Reviews

Used Titan XD for Sale
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Good Work Truck

Clifford Matthews, 11/07/2017
SL 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

What I love most about the truck, is that you get the fuel economy of a diesel in a truck that rides as soft as a 1/2 ton truck. It tows a modest camper very well, is very stable on the road, good in the snow. It is also heavier than competitor's 1 ton trucks, so it handles in a cross wind with a camper very well. Dealerships are still learning how to handle the diesel engines. It has been a routine occurrence where the dealership has not had the diesel tech available, or a lift that could handle the truck. Be prepared for high dealership services costs, ~$350 to $600 every 10,000 miles. I will not be going to dealerships once the warranty expires. It has plenty of power, but not as much as a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. The diesel is most advantageous on the highway and towing. Having the engine's maximum torque output at 1,800 RPM makes a big difference during typical driving and towing.

FITS A NITCH!

Joe, 10/12/2016
SL 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I traded MY 2015 RAM ecodiesel with 37K miles for this truck. I pull an Airstream trailer & don't need 3/4 ton but felt a more powerful heavier pay load truck was needed so after much research & a very long test drive I pulled the trigger & couldn't be happier. I took advantage of year end incentives plus big dealer discounts and could not be happier, I selected the SL trim level which has most of the bells & whistles adding up to a smooth ride, very attractive appearance and assume cummin's diesel power.

Nissan Titan XD Sucks!!!

Mike Agoston, 08/02/2017
Platinum Reserve 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Purchased brand new 2016 Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve my second diesel truck first Nissan. All I can say is wow!! I'm now only at 7K miles on the odometer!! This is my sixth Nissan/Infiniti up till now every vehicle has been bullet proof. Have to say every single issue being reported about this vehicle seems to be absolutely true. Transmission abrupt shifting, diesel odor in cabin, clunking noise in front end, power cut off when turning, and electronic issues!! Transmission shifting hard up and down. On the way home from the dealership in TN headed to OH the vehicle was barely drivable. It shifted so hard down that I was seriously concerned it would damage itself so I had to drive it at constant speed making trip intense to say the least. Note this was after the TN dealership supposedly completed the "transmission update". I limped vehicle into dealership in Dayton OH. Dayton Nissan dealer completed transmission update and advised vehicle good to go. Picked up vehicle and drove it off lot...first lot clunk! All day long...downshift clunk!...upshift pop!. Oh man now I'm really getting concerned. I'm so concerned about transmission damaging itself that I'm overlooking the other problems. But lets talk about those. My next main concern is the loss of power when turning. You turn and hit the gas to accelerate and there is nothing there!! I'm not talking turbo lag I'm talking literally the power goes to zero! Then equally bad when after it goes to zero it lags big time then abruptly comes on. I've been trying different driving habits to see if it does this in straight aways or if it is strictly on turns. It is most definitely more pronounced when turning. Talk about dangerous!! Just today pulled out at major intersection and gas truck coming towards light in first lane...pull out quarter way when I realize man this guy can't stop. Turning left. Hit gas to get away as smoke is billowing out from under his truck and nothing!! Thank Jesus as the truck was going to smack me broadside power kicked on and I escaped major incident if not death. Wow!! Had I been driving my BMW X5 diesel under same circumstances it would have jetted me away so quick I wouldn't have even thought about it later in the day. This thing is a potential death trap! Ok so enough drama. The odor enters the cabin while idling, driving slow, and occasional a waft or two while tooling down the highway. My friend the other day while idling was like "dude seriously this thing is making me nauseous". I'm like well you get used to it after awhile. He was like hurry up and get me to our destination I don't know how you are driving this like this. Electronics are full of gremlins on this baby. Get in fire her up and on comes the screen stating tran data is being transmitted...shift into R and camera should kick on ...would be nice...but instead screen doesn't change! Good thing I didn't back up because a kid was standing behind my truck and well...hmm...accident!! Are you kidding me?!! What good is a back up camera on a vehicle if it isn't reliable?! It is more unsafe might as well disconnect it!!! Ok so lets talk about more issues that are nuisance but not going to cause bodily injury or death. Back up and get to bottom of drive and springs in front compress as wheel is turned and squeak squeal creak groan. Is this a new Nissan Titan XD Premium or a 1952 Ford? I would argue the 52 Ford pickup wouldn't make these many noises when simply backing up! Embarrassing to say the least. I could keep going but I'm tired now of hating this vehicle already. I've owned probably 75 different vehicles mostly new and never anything remotely like this beast. Right now it is a beast of burden. Going back into the shop next week I'll keep you posted. Expectations very low at this point based on the fact Car and Driver just rated Nissan Titan XD they have at 30K and it most definitely is a lemon!!

$65,000 trash can

Ash, 02/14/2016
Platinum Reserve 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

After owning many Titans, I opted for the diesel when it came out to better suit my needs. Truck started acting up exactly two days after purchasing. Hard shifting, check engine light, speed limited to 5mph due to def malfunction. Several trips to the dealer and almost a month without the truck, def tank was replaced and that was the only problem solved for a l short period of time. Other issues included nav screen going blank. iPod not working. Hard steering. From away at link fell off. Very poor fuel economy towing a 18' car trailer with a Kawasaki mule on the back (8mpg). After going back and forth to the dealer while continuing to pay $1000 a month for the truck, Nissan bought the truck back as a lemon. Cummins engine has no power at all. It's a dog! Aisin transmission doesn't seem to know which gear it should be in and bangs in and out of gear. Def system that's Manufactured by a German company doesn't work but once in a while. Pretty much everything that didn't fail was actually made by Nissan. Everything else failed very rapidly **UPDATE** Purchased another titan xd after the first one was purchased back. Second one is also getting purchased back due to several quality control issues

Second Titan.

Brad, 05/30/2017
Platinum Reserve 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.0L 8cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is a really great truck. Pulls my 25 ft. trailer with ease, good fuel economy, roomy interior, quiet, and the wife loves it. (most important thing). First Titan was gas powered. This is my first Diesel. I am very surprised at the performance. This beast pulls like a mule. Update. It's now been 7000 miles and I can't say any thing bad about this truck. The more I drive it the more I like it. Well they asked me to update. We are at 10,000 miles. Still love the truck. I can't think of anything negative to say. I do a little remodeling on the side and just yesterday I loaded 25 sheets of 1/2" sheetrock and 8 boxes of mud. The truck didn't even know it was there. 19000 mile update. So far so good. Still runs great. The only negative thing I can say is the factory tires ( General ) are not what I would call a very good tire. Horrible in the snow and anything that resemble wet. Other that that, I still love my truck. I guess they want me to update again. 30,000 miles now, no problems, changed tires, installed cold air intake, new canopy. Cold air intake seems to be working well. Upped the performance and increase fuel economy. Still love my truck.

12345...10