Used 2002 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews - 127 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Nissan Frontier Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Frontier model:

Little Big Truck
By Jerome

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

None to worry about if all maintenance are performed according to specifications.

Just about worth every penny!
By Greg D

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Originally purchased this vehicle new from a dealership in San Diego. Paid invoice for it. Bought it for my wife. She drove it for 13 years I've been driving it since. The wife is 5'6" and around 120lbs. I am 6'3" and over 250 lbs. We have done some dirt road off roading. Not any hardcore 4x4ing. I have nicknamed the truck Bart. In the city and on the highway it drives great. We have had extremely aggressive off road tires on it and now has the least aggressive. Bart served us well. It gets the same gas mileage towing or not. We towed two Jet Seadoo Jet Ski's about 5 hours one way to the rivers and lakes and never ever had an issue. After 15 years we had to put about $8,000 (not all at once, a portion was a battery, new tires, normal wear and tear items) into it for various items; replaced the suspension, rebuilt the supercharger, replaced the steering linkage and various other items. Since then for about the last year I have been driving it 60 miles per day. The A/C doesn't blow that cold anymore and it uses a lot more gas when I use it. If I keep it under 65mph I get 16mpg. We have serviced it often. The transmission slips once in a while, during a hot day, I drive it for 30mins then turn it off for an hour, after I start it it runs very rough for a few minutes then back to normal and I'm back driving again. It's due for another timing belt and new struts. We never lifted it nor put anything after market on it except a stereo with Bluetooth and a new 6" subwoofer (the old one dry rotted). Bart has always been garaged so the paint is in good shape. I replaced the headlights and the cargo lamp because the plastic gets old and fogged. We love how Bart looks and he's fun to drive. I'm considering replacing him but we will probably just continue to dump money into him because it's less than trying to replace him. Grace & Peace

Fontier 2002 2wd 4cyl auto just shy of 200k
By truckcommuter

2002 Nissan Frontier 2dr King Cab XE 2WD SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like my last of the little Frontiers. Unfortunately it will get replaced by a car because all manufacturers have gone to to over-sized, gas wasting behemoths they call mid size pick up trucks. My Frontier is a daily commuter, still gets 20-24 MPG always did. Regular maintenance (oil , trans fluid, belts , shocks, muffler,etc.) has gotten me up to 195.5k . Dealer replaced one rear axle bearing during the first month of ownership due to a factory error. Dealer ignored assembly issue from factory for installation error on an intake coolant hose , the fix was picked up by my (independent) mechanic who says he had three more of the same truck with the same problem in the 6 months following. The only unusual items were the infamous steering linkage replacement that plagued 2wd Frontiers at about 75k (Nissan does not sell replacement tie rod ends individually). Both rear brake cylinders had to been replaced about the same time .Water pump around 105k. Had a piece of wiring harness ground out and kill the engine a couple months back. My mechanic said that the insulation became brittle and rubbed off. What do you want for a 14 year old truck? 1 hour of labor and its up and going again just like before. My mechanic said years back that I should be able to make 200k, so that's where I'm goin. Should hit that this summer at about the time the truck turns 15 years old. The dealer parts source I use in Texas is now having a hard time getting parts for my previous generation truck. Its doesn't have NAV, blutooth, backup camera or , power windows, and has a cheezy 2 speaker stereo ,but it does what its supposed to do, roll down the windows and drive. Sometimes with a mower or furniture in the back. I'll miss it.

LOVE my truck!
By Gena

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SC-V6 4WD SB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I have had 3 Nissan trucks. A 1983, 1986, 2006 Titan and this one. I looked for months trying to find a crew cab 4x4 long bed. NOT easy but I drove 6+ hours to Utah to get this one. A friend went with me and we stopped to look at another one same year and she ended buying that one. Hers had a lift kit.

So mine is a SC super charge model and I am glad I got that one because the SE which is the one she got does not have the power I have. But I did put a lift kit on it and I really love how it handles. We took off into the Mts of Utah with 4 feet of snow and the truck did awesome. I have Bridgestone AT on both trucks and they really get you moving. Suck up the gas though but hey.

I also have a cap on it so the gas sucks even more. I get a lot of looks and folks say it's a sharp truck but the gas mileage is not up to par. I have to use the mid grade which is now $2.56 a gal. Doing a tune up was a challenge. I had to remove the super charge unit to get to some of the plugs. I had an upgrade muffler put on. I mainly have the truck because Nissan is the only truck that has a crew cab with a long 6 foot bed. I have had notes left on the truck from folks wanting to buy it.

I haven't had it in the shop much because I had a bunch done to it all at once which was a fortune but my friend did it. We drove from Las Vegas to Pennsylvania during the bad snow storm and I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have an issue.

If you do get this truck get the lift kit because it really does make a difference in the handling. Much more fun to drive.

As far as the comfort of the truck it is way better than the other trucks I was driving before this one. We drove both trucks 6 days across the coast during the worst snow storm and we probably drove 10 hours a day with several breaks because we have 2 very large shep mix dogs who rode in comfort as well in the back of the truck. I love driving this truck! It is comfy and I installed a JVC CD player with USB/Bluetooth. I have seen a couple trucks in my area but they are the extra cab short bed and they stare at my crew cab long bed wishing they had it!!

Best truck ever
By Alan Sargent

2002 Nissan Frontier 4dr Crew Cab SVE-V6 4WD LB (3.3L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I've had this truck for almost 14 years, it's been in the shop once. It still runs and looks great.