Used 2009 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Buyer Beware/2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
By TimA

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is really fun to drive. Great acceleration. Corners likes its on rails. Its essentially a legal go kart. Now the bad news: Your gonna pay for all that fun. I bought this car with approx 65k for around $8k a couple years ago. Every single time I take this car in it will cost anywhere from $500 to close to $3k per visit. Items fixed/issues: timing chain, thermostat, backfires, recall: high pressure fuel pump, engine blasted with walnut shells, new valve cover. This is all that comes to mind at the moment but there is much more. By the way...the car is at 108k...the timing chain is knocking horribly again...getting towed again today as I cannot drive it in the condition it is in. The 1st timing chain above was redone December 2017. I have almost spent as much as I paid for this vehicle in repairs. Unfortunately this is the last straw...it will be fixed and sold. This car is trash. Unreliable, design issues all over this vehicle. I would have expected more especially from BMW. I know what your thinking...well I am going to by a good one with low miles...it doesn't matter...this car is a money pit. By all means don't believe me....good luck to you and your new mini. Blech.

Blast to drive but a burden to own
By James K

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The mini is such a blast to drive. It accelerates very well and hugs the road better than any other car I've driven. Plus the exhaust from the factory sounds pretty good. I loved the thing very much. Unfortunately those are it's only strong suits. I don't drive it too hard and if I'm lucky I'll get 28 mpg highway. Combined it gets 25 which is very disappointing from a small 1.6L engine. For reference I had a 2004 Impala get better highway mileage and get 25 combined with a 3.8L v6. However very poor reliability is the downfall. In the short time I've owned it I've had coils go out, a water pump failed, and now have a bad lifter. Not only is it unreliable but parts are hard to find and very expensive. If you want a mini Cooper I strongly advise getting a 2011 model or later. Those are far more reliable than the 2010 model and earlier.

Defective timing chain!
By bill

2009 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you get this care beware of the faulty timing chain tensioner, i've owned my vehicle since 54 miles, car now has 59,000 miles and the timing chain failed and caused $6000 in repairs! I threatened to sue BMW and they offered me 50% of my repairs on the faulty parts.

Mini Ha ha
By Delphine Lawson

2009 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

It's a fun car to drive. Bought it for our daughter and she loves it. Drove it 1/2 way across country to her and it was not so comfortable for these old bones. Got great gas mileage.

Love my mini
By Lynn

2009 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

Love the gas mileage, handling. after having it 7mo, love it more.