Used 2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

A great car!
By Wesley

2006 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2016 from an auction for a great price. I was a little hesitant after hearing scary reliability stories and having the CVT, but it was a great decision! I owned the car for around 2 years and was sad to see it go. It makes driving everything else feel like you're in a 1970s Toyota! The transmission was a little laggy, but I dealt with it. In all honesty the worst part about the car was that the key had such a bad range, other than that, I couldn't complain. I sold it to a nice family for the same price I bought it for (2years later) and I was going to buy a Prius for the MPGs. Well, a Prius is not a fun car. I'm currently looking for another Mini Cooper, because after driving a street-legal go-kart, it's hard to switch to an average car!

Old Guy with Old Mini
By Barry Whitman

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback w/John Cooper Works GP Kit (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

This car has the unlikely distinction of having very successfully replaced a Lexus sedan. It is a poor man's Porsche (I've owned a couple of Turbo Porsches in my time), with excellent tracking, braking and performance. Its ride is on the stiff side, due to its extra springs and run-flat tires, but perfectly acceptable because of its performance. It is happiest at 70+ on the Interstate, but does just fine around town. The mileage is almost always in the 30's, but bear in mind that it prefers premium fuel. If I were buying today, I'd add a Sirius radio (for station variety) and navigation, but I would not change much else. I have just under 79,000 miles showing, and I'll drive it well over 100,000 if I'm still around.

Great classy excellent condition car.
By Clement Danhoui

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Mini Cooper S *Yes or No*
By z31526@gmail.com

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

First I might say I loved this car. Second thing is I was scared to drive it. Scared that something might break. There are things you need to know. I have been a diy mechanic for many many years. This is not your average car to maintain. This was a super clean car when I bought it and traded it in. I had this for a year 58,000 miles to 66,000. I did the following things to the car. Tires - Most of these cars require run flat tires, because there is no spare! This will cost you more. O2 Sensors if you do not know what this is DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! 2 of them and 80.00 a pop. Brakes 140.00, Water outlet gasket just the gasket if you can find it 16.00. Plug wire and plugs 120.00. I was a fool for buying this fun car and even dumber to put money into it. What they don't tell you is the added expense if you do not run premium gas. You will eat O2 sensors up all the time. Clutch

1. Don't loose the keys this will be spendy
2. Repairs - You better have money a clutch is upwards of 1800.00
3. Only a mini dealer can clear some of the codes this will cost you.
4. If you have snow beware the car might be able to do it but take a look under the car there is a cooling fan that sucks up from the bottom of the car to cool the engine. Snow will ice up and bam ur back at that mini dealer again.

There are so many things im sure I have forgotten. This was not the car for me or my family. She was a ton of fun but not that much fun had it up to 140 and was scared. Took corners at 60 and wow was cool. Then I realized mmmmm im Married and 42 years old.

So I leave it up to you. They say this was the most dependable year to have. Stay away from automatics just read the blogs. Took this car on a 1600 mile round trip and that was enough for me to get rid of it. Tale care!

For The Last Time, It's a Sports Car
By Miguel

2006 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl S/C 6M)

Something to get out of the way really quickly here: a Mini is a BMW. Knowing this you can expect expensive repairs, expensive parts, electrical issues and more...if you don't take care of it. A Mini Cooper, while accessible to everyone, is very much a sports car and souls be treated and maintained as such. I bought mine used and while I love it, I poured a good amount of money into it on repairs because the previous owner didn't take care to buy original parts, perform regular oil changes, or just maintenance in general. It's a very fun car but just be sure to take great care of it.