Used 2018 Lexus RX 450h Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used RX 450h for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best Family SUV for the Money

Emre Afsar, 08/09/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am an enthusiast and shopped for months for a larger family SUV. In terms of comfort, space, and fuel economy there is nothing in the market that comes close to the RX 450h. It feels solid and substantial behind the wheel. Effortless steering and acceleration, great visibility thanks to the A pillar and side mirror design. Whisper quiet at any speed and the hybrid powertrain works seamlessly. Definitely go with the upgraded 12.3 inch infotainment system as it has better input method with the joystick (as oppose to the wheel controller on the base system) and the definition of the screen is very high. Averaging 32 MPG on our first tank so far with the AC on all the time. Speaking of which it is the best AC system I have experienced in any car. Works in conjunction with the heated/ventilated seats and cools the cabin incredibly fast and works super quiet. No negatives or complaints so far, an excellent luxury mid-size SUV. Highly recommended!

My second Lexus

JS, 03/20/2019
F SPORT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I’ve had my RX450h F Sport for about 8 months now and have driven it for 8,500 miles. My lease was up on my 2015 IS 350 F Sport and I loved the color combo (Atomic Silver with Rioja Red) so I decided to go with the same combination on the RX. I’m also leasing this vehicle as I’ve never had a hybrid nor have I had any vehicles with a CVT. My original thoughts on the RX were that it’s a reliable, sleek Lexus that is affordable (compared to competition) and has a low cost of ownership. When originally test driving the RX Hybrid, I loved how smooth and quiet it was. My sister has a 2017 RX350, and I’ve had two of these as loaners. If you’re shopping for an RX, definitely consider both the 350 and the 450h. For 2018, Lexus reduced the price of the Hybrid. When comparing a fully loaded 350 vs. 450h, it was roughly $1k more for the hybrid. My RX has every option — 12 inch navigation package, Mark Levinson sound, parking assist, 360 camera, tribeam headlights, panoramic roof, tow prep package, etc. Pros - Lexus reliability and customer service - Smooth and quiet ride - F Sport adds a little more fun around corners - Red interior is gorgeous - Plethora of safety features - More than enough acceleration power for typical drivers (coming from someone who prefers small, sporty cars — I think the RX is plenty powerful) - Tribeam headlights are fantastic and the package comes with headlight washers, cornering lights, and self-leveling height - Extremely helpful 360 camera is a must-have (my favorite feature) Cons - Driver’s side exterior mirror shakes. The dealer replaced the entire mirror (swapped with a vehicle on their lot) but it still shakes. It’s not a one-off situation either — I’ve noticed the same in two loaner RXs (hybrid and regular) - F Sport seats have heavier side bolsters, which show wrinkles quite a bit - F Sport (and regular) seats show creases on the seat bottom pretty easily Overall, I highly recommend this generation RX! You really can’t go wrong, even with the few gripes I have.

You won’t regret of getting it

Eric, 07/06/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Smooth and quiet even when you accelerate! Transition is great and great fuel saving! Have been considering GLC or GLE and was hoping for better handling at corner but I gave up in the end. Comfort for passengers (front and rear) was one of my very decisive metrics to go for RX 450h. I upgraded it to premium, with better interior, audio and larger wheel. It is worth it even I pay more than my original budget. I can’t say about reliability as I only own it for 4 months.

Happy with my decision

paul, 07/30/2018
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

comfortable, quiet ride - luxurious. Controls are annoying - mouse. Voice activation a big help. Needs quieter tires. Will replace originals with Michelin. Mileage lower in winter/cold 28.

Great ride but disappointing

G Anderson, 02/10/2019
4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok here's the update (01/6/2021) - 30K miles. A big disappoint (for a Lexus) as I've had it in for recalls, sunroof issues, wiper issue, Driver's side inside door handle broke, and other minor interior issues. Tires lasted only 20K (others have the same complaint on User Forum - and yes I rotate them). Not great in the snow. On top of that, the infotainment system acts irradicably (No sound out of the radio when it's extremely cold - have to restart the car) and no upgrade available to Apple Car Play. Tough to defrost the front windshield. Can't really haul anything that sticks out the back. Ice or snow on the sensors causes havoc and the car to beep at you and beep at you and beep at you (you get the idea). Would be helpful if they squared off the back from a cargo perspective. Do my own service and everything is easy to get to and the brakes aren't even 1/2 worn. Gas Mileage is averaging 25 MPG. Lowered to a 3. Won't buy this again. ---> end of update What I like: Ride, Interior materials, Comfort, MPG, space, and very quiet. What I don't like: Infotainment, Sound system is just OK. Terrible in cold weather (doesn't heat up, wipers freeze, front defroster takes too long), controls not exactly intuitive (i.e. how do I turn off the sensors for the car wash?).