2017 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Rock solid after 20,000 miles
By Brian B.

2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Td6 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Maybe I got a Wednesday car, right after bonuses were announced, because mine has been as close to perfect as I could expect from a first model year of an all-new design. You cannot find a better combination of luxury and capability in any vehicle, in my opinion, than the Discovery 5. The ride on the air suspension is smooth on the road, composed over potholes and road joints at speed, and (even with aftermarket AT tires) quiet. The only issues were a false warning of incorrect DEF quality, fixed by a software update, and a service campaign to replace an air suspension component that could fail, which I did not experience before the service was performed. If you off-road or tow, the diesel engine is the ideal powerplant. It's amazing that I can touch 29mpg on the Interstate in a massive AWD SUV and average 21-22mpg around town. When you're off-road at 10,000 feet in the Rockies or blasting over a 12,000 foot pass on the highway, the torque makes this thing unstoppable. The only drawback is that the service interval as recommended by the vehicle based on and estimation of engine oil life seems to be shorter than the 15,000 miles advertised by Land Rover, though this appears to be because of...you guessed it, software. Actual measurements of engine oil quality show that it's been just fine when the vehicle thinks it needs an oil change. This is my first Land Rover, and if they have fixed their infamous reliability issues as it appears they have on my vehicle, then I may be a Land Rover owner for life!

2017 is a Lemon - Unfortunately
By LandRoverOwner

2017 Land Rover Discovery SE 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

Purchased the 2017 Discovery with high hopes. Within a month the air conditioner stopped working. It was in service for over 40 days of the 6 months I’ve owned it. They replaced the AC, did everything they could yet it would not blow cold air. When temps are above 100 degrees with a baby in the back seat, it gets very concerning. Land Rover has emailed me they are purchasing the car back after I opened up a formal case and it taking 30 days of review, but are now taking their sweet time getting back to me with details on the repurchase (it’s been 2 weeks). Car looks great, but us surpringly small inside, has a rough ride, and has the unfixable issue with AC. Dealership was very nice to deal with.

Never Buy a Land Rover Discovery
By Nikki Meyers

2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Luxury 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

Picked my Disco up last August...it was flat bedded back to the dealership within hours! It is in the dealership right now...it is the SIXTH time, and they usually have my car for 7-10 days every time. Only has 5000 miles on it and have had non-stop issues, many that you have featured on here. The infotainment system has been "update" 7 times and is STILL very much broken. Cameras, sensors, apps, nav, bluetooth, gets stuck off then gets stuck on even when the car is turned completely off and I am out of it...you name it...it's broken. It was in for nearly 2 weeks, and within a week I had to have it picked back up. Right now they are trying to fix: Hood cable is too long and could be a "very bad situation" (their words), the infamous infotainment system disaster, no less then 3 warning lights on, windshield washer fluid spilling everywhere and always showing it empty (even though it has not ever been used), and this big one: Twice while driving down the road (not while at a light, etc..) the car randomly shuts off and goes into an idle mode! The service guy today told me that he doesn't know why no one ever called me because it could have been very unsafe and he was sure that it scared me (it did!), and that this "should"take care of it. Apparently it was something with the ECM and their was a needed update to the engine control unit that is the Powertrain for the vehicle! Hand to God that's what he said! Iv'e been trying to give this car back for months...such a ridiculous situation and company. never again. Keep in mind this is only about half of the problems I have had

Like Riding on A Cloud
By VL Fowler

2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl S/C 8A)

We have had our Disco for 3 months now and never for a moment have we regretted the purchase. Before ordering the Disco we drove MANY other luxury models and were leasing a Benz. Nothing compared to the comfort and capabilities of the Disco. We were trading in our pick-up that was used to tow our 22' sailboat, and the Disco has taken on that duty with panache---never a groan or complaint. The dealership and sales rep were very accommodating and a pleasure to work with. I am certain that we will be repeat customers of Land Rover. The quality and craftsmanship are unsurpassed.

2017 Discovery Diesel.
By Porsche Fan.

2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE Td6 4dr SUV 4WD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

The car looks and drives like a dream. The great majority of my cars were German, this particular car drives better than what I had but the reliability is questionable. The car had being in the shop now 3 times with only 16K miles. Biggest issue had being with the Turbo Management system, it had gone to Restrictive Drive 4 times and check engine light is now in the dashboard. Disappointing experience after I had spend $60K in an SUV. My expectation for the brand was much higher than what they are delivering. I'm hopping that I can get the issues resolved as I love the how the car drives.