Used 2004 Land Rover Discovery Consumer Reviews - 117 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Land Rover Discovery

View reviews for a specific Discovery model:

Don't Front!
By Jungle Fever

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

If you cannot afford a highline sport- utility vehicle do not buy one. This is NOT a KIA Sorrento, Suzuki, or a GEO Tracker. I have owned mine for 4 years and have had no problems even though I have well over 100k on it now. I regularly have the fluids changed and scheduled maintenance done. No it is not cheap. Do a True Cost of Ownership. If you live pay- check to pay-check you will not like the MPG. Again it's not Suzuki, KIA or GEO. I enjoy the vehicle and it is very comfortable. It is an all-weather, all-terrain SUV. Handling and torque is sufficient. You do not need to go 0-60 up a mountain in 4 seconds. Buy what you can afford , not what you want your friends to see you in.

The Land Rover Discovery has great ergonomics, utility, equipment and is well appointed. Dual sunroofs and safari windows are a nice touch.

None!

C'mon people!
By DOC

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've really enjoyed having this SUV! All the complaints about service is probably because a lot of "yuppies" who don't know the first thing about taking care of a car own them! Basic maintenance and upkeep will eliminate these problems. Enough already about the gas mileage...IT'S A V8! Great SUV in my eyes!

Stlye and reputation.

Interior front seat door handles are tricky to find.

So Far So Good!
By Cegibbs3

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchase this vehicle used from a dealership in Florida. So far so good! It has been very dependable and it doesn't seem to have any of the issues that some of the other reviews I've read have had. I'm 6'4" so the interior design is a bit tight but that's nothing new to me. I enjoy the heck out of driving this vehicle on and off road. It's my first full time 4-wheel drive and I'm extremely impressed with the handling in rainy/bad conditions on the road. It feels like I'm driving in ideal conditions even when they are less than. The stereo is the best I've ever heard in a vehicle from the factory! Real high quality! The looks are unbeatable! Anyway, I'm enjoying it! So far so good!

Looks, handling, stereo!

I suppose better fuel economy would be nice and a little more interior room for us tall guys!

we bought a lemon
By jeanned

2004 Land Rover Discovery S 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our 04 Disco new and have had nothing but problems. I love it, I love to drive it but the rear fog light burned out after 3-4 months, cannot access it because it is sealed. The radio/cd player went out, dealer did fix that, front headlights are full of moisture, the passenger side window motor broke, dealer did not fix, 500+ to fix that, transmission has leaked since around 20,000. Dealer would not do the warranty to fix this except for a seal, started throwing fluid again while on vacation in FL, dealership would not cover it, brakes locked up while on vacation again, dealership did cover that one, now it needs a new engine, dealer won't cover, LRNA offered a small amount.

the looks, the handling, the safety, it was go almost anywhere. I love driving this vehicle, nothing else compares to the solidness of it

For LRNA to make good on the problems that we have had, their dealership in Charleston WV messed up when they did not honor warranty work at 38,000 and caused the problems we are now having. We used to tell everyone to buy a LR, now we tell everyone not to.

Wish I would have stayed with Nissan
By Zachary

2004 Land Rover Discovery SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Disco because my father has owned one since 1995 and has had very good luck with it. So when I finally got the means to afford a disco I purchased my 2004. The first issue I had was the tranny coolant line went and left me stranded 6 hours into a road trip. Now I'm also having issues with flooded floor boards after car washes and AC usage on very hot days. The thing's a gas pig and has a rear differential leak and maybe and engine leak. I had my oil replaced a month ago and had to add a quart of oil to the engine. Is this normal I would hope not. Over all I'm thinking of taking a hit and purchasing another Pathfinder.

Styling and interior even with some of its downfalls. It's very good off road and in snow conditions.

Redesign the AC and exterior drain holes and improve gas mileage.