Used 2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Jaguar X-Type Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X-Type model:

Jaguar X-Type Great every day driver
By P

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a good every day driver that can perform well.

Best car I ever owned
By Colonel D.

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Every popular magazine and website dissed the Jag wagon when it came out. Boy, were they wrong. I bought mine used, have owned it for eight years, and NEVER had a major maintenance issue with it. Performance is tops, just like the day I got it, and it now has 130k miles. Small and nimble, but with the extra room of a wagon and every extra you can imagine. Sweet ride. Car & Driver called it an "exotic" since less than about 1500 were made between 2004 and 2008. They were right about one thing: it's a head-turner and a conversation starter with knowledgeable Jag owners. If Jag still made these, it would be my next car.

Keeps on "Truckin"
By pandahenry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the Wife's "Dog and plant hauler"
It is just a bit past 77k mi. and still works fine., in fact on the highway, the fuel economy is an amazing 27-28 mpg!
The ride has deteriorated" in part to recent tire purchase ( TOO high performance)

In the 9 years we have owned= only 4 problems..
#1.a brake boost seal (replaced under warranty.)
#2. expensive performance components like the Special F Brake discs.
#3 Passenger seat-seat belt buckle malfunction..= new and VERY expensive female seat belt clasp
#4 the led light that allows view of temperature numbers is out and cannot be repaired easily

I see many of these vehicles still on the road here in Coastal Southern California
I know that this car is fast "like a Jaguar".....it is fun to drive "like a Jaguar" it has unique style and grace,"like a Jaguar
We are glad that Jaguar has re-introduced the SportBrake " (as they call it in England)
We wanted to order a new Sportbrake, however,we are looking at the F-pace because this Sportbrake-Wagon
rides low to the ground and a few inches of taller ride would help us navigate the gauntlet of distracted drivers in Coastal Socal

We might be selling soon

There is absolutely NOTHING in the world like driving a Jag
By skargo

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car used 6 months ago and I still hate the fact that pulling in my driveway means that my drive has ended! I look forward to getting into the car every morning and looking down the amazing curves of the hood to follow my chrome cat to work. The car handles like a sports car. You can do the sharpest turns and curves at the highest speeds and the car doesn't flinch. It is small but comfortably room in the front - I can't say as much for the back - it's kind of cramped...but I will only ever be sitting behind the wheel of this car! You are surrounded by wood, leather, and an amazing Alpine sound system...who could ask for more!

The car is a head turner. It absolutely does not look its age and the style is still extremely sharp. Most people that see it think it is brand new. The Alpine system in it gives a great full bodied sound and the remote features from the steering wheel are awesome. The car is really very simple to operate, and is a great balance of not too simple looking and not looking like the cockpit of a fighter jet - they really did a beautiful job designing the interior. The power heated memory seats are firm and very comfortable. The color combos are amazing...mine is cream with a darker brown and a wood grain that meets in the middle. AWD is AMAZING in snow. I live in RI and have no issues at all.

The ride could be a little softer - I have a sport suspension so the handling is amazing, but it can sometimes feel like my old Jeep. Changing a headlamp is shear insanity - aside from that I cannot express how much I love this car! Excellent value for the money, and you'll feel like a million bucks driving it!

Jaaaaaag Wagon
By Lymeboy

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L Sportwagon 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven mostly BMW's for the past 20 years. I purchased this 05 Jaguar Sportwagon in July 07 and I am delighted with the design, build quality, aesthetics, and driving dynamics. It can not be compared to BMW, MB, Audi, etc., as it is British, not German. The wagon is elegant inside and out, it is comfortable for a guy with back problems. I have only seen one other Jag Wagon in the state of Maine---I do not see myself coming and going.

The growl of the exhaust when I step on it, heated seats, manually shifting the auto box. The beautiful lines of the exterior and the elegance of the interior.

The fuel mileage is less than ideal and the transmission shifts into fifth too soon for my taste. It feels like the engine is bogging in 5th gear if the tach is below 2000rpm.