Used 2010 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

Good Minus a couple things
By Alex

2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

For the price I paid, my Sonata has been great. Mileage is awesome, roomy, comfortable car. Got it at 40k miles, now at 120k miles, I think it has a lot more in it. BUT within a 3 month period my front passenger door handle and my driver side read door handle both snapped (Cleveland winter, probably 20 degrees F outside). Went to a Hyundai dealer and they said they wouldn't cover it and it would cost me $500 a door to fix so I told them to go kick rocks. Left the broken handles alone for almost two years (absolutely a safety hazard). Then in the summer a couple years later my head console which has my interior lights, sunroof control and blue tooth control FELL OFF the ceiling and hit me in the head. Whilst driving....The console was hanging there by the electrical cords. Took this to a local shop and asked them how much to fix both door handles and the center console (all of which needed to be completely replaced). Under $700. Hyundai dealership wanted $500 per door handle. Last thing is my transmission kind of jumps when the car downshifts as I slow down to an eventual stop. Never had an actual mechanical issue with the engine or transmission so I live with it. Long story short; comfortable, good mileage car and a good value. There's a couple shortcomings on the quality/craftsmanship and don't expect Hyundai to help you out if something breaks. I've read a lot of reviews and that seems to be the recurring theme.

Great car
By Ira Levinsky

2010 Hyundai Sonata SE V6 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second sonata and have driven about 375,000 miles without any major issues.Still runs like new with lots of pickup.Never trouble with engine,transmission,or a/c.

Sonata a great value!
By Bob

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

The Sonata is great value for your money. I've had one for 8 .5 years. Everything has been great with the possible exception of the tires.The original equipment tires had to be replaced at 28k. Everything else is good quality.I'm buying a new one .

An old familiar face
By John Hickman

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

This Sonata has been very kind to me. Extremely reliable. Total repairs required since I purchased the vehicle new has been one ball joint replaced. I never had so much as a bulb needing replacement (headlamps are still original) until 120,000 miles, when bothe brake lamps finally burnt out after almost eight years. Very comfortable for longer trips (I'm 6'5"/280 lbs.), and gas mileage has been on the high side of predicted. The engine does not consume or lose any oil, which I attribute to Hyundai quality and to having used Mobil 1 oil and oil filters every oil change. I actually prefer driving this Sonata more than my 2015 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited, which seems ponderous in comparison (though I love the gas mileage on longer trips). In my nearly eight years of ownership, the car has never failed to start, has never stranded me on the roadside, and has not so much as suffered a flat (sheer luck, I'm sure). I've owned eight Hyundai vehicles since 1999, and I believe this has been my favorite.

My door handles fell off!
By R. Scanlon

2010 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Within a 3-week span last year (2017), 3 of my door handles came off in my hand. No rough treatment, just opening the doors. The car was only 6 years old. I jury-rigged a rope and pulley system to open the driver door through an open back window. Sweet. I called Hyundai to see if these were covered by their much-touted 10-year warranty. No, door handles are only covered for 5 years. Apparently people should just naturally expect them to only last that long and should plan to get them repaired after that. If you can get into your car to drive them to a shop...