2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...20

Pros
Cons

My first Hybrid! UPDATE*

Boricuizzi, 02/20/2019
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in a 2013 Ford Focus that was plagued with transmission issues. I had been wanting to get behind a new car, but nothing checked all my boxes. I wanted my next car to have some form of electrification, LED headlights, smartphone integration technologies and active safety assistive tools. When Honda announced the Inisght was making a return, and I read about all the standard equipment it would have I thought it was going to be an expensive option. I was so disillusioned with the Prius' design, but considering it at the same time because there was no other "normal-looking option out there. Thank you Honda, for exceeding what I was expecting on my next car. I feel like I have a car that will last for years, and become a reliable option in my household. Also, when I learned that, technically, this new hybrid setup does not formally includes a transmission... I was sold! I live in a mostly flat town, with lots of city driving, so my MPG is great, and also I don't have a lead foot, so instead of road-raging with strangers on the road on who gets in front of each other every morning, I push myself to be polite on the road and skimp on the gas pedal, which is paying off greatly. Now, my Insight is about to turn 1 and I am already at over 15K miles. I have not had any issues so far. It’s been such a flawless ride everyday. I’ve driven Florida from Tallahassee to Boca Raton (not on the same day though), I’ve driven to New Orleans, and Jacksonville. It’s just so smooth and pleasant to drive. This car feels (and looks) so upscale, it’s not uncommon that people think it’s an Acura. My husband drives a Jetta and he just told me how he wishes his gas tanks were $16-20 everytime, like mine; and it lasts around 12 days (mostly city driving). I’m averaging 48MPG. I have been able to drive from Orlando to Tallahassee (4-hour drive) with just one tank, going at 70 mph. Anything over that and it chugs more fuel and I’d have to stop for gas. It’s just such a wonderful piece of engineering for the price. It’s my first Honda and it certainly won’t be the last!

The Balanced Hybrid

Mervyns Fontillas, 09/25/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car looks and drives great. It isnt necessarily a fast car but it isn't boring to drive either. The Sport mode makes it more responsive and charges the battery better but it also makes the cabin a bit noisy. Most reviews will say that the cabin tend to be noisy when the engine kicks in at about 45mph but I personally dont dind it to be loud. See, when in EV mode it is very very quiet, thus the engine noise is noticed when it kicks in and that noticeable change is what makes it seem exaggerated. The battery pack is not too big so it is as not as big of an environmental burden in terms of production. I love this car but i have yet to test it on the snow. I live in New England and ive only put some 2031miles on it. The performance in snow will be a deciding factor for me on whether or not to keep the car at the end of my lease or not. The biggest win for this car is the MPG. I get an average of 50.3mpg now but I used yo just get 47.7mpg. This went up as i have been trying to drive less aggressively. True enough, even on an hour of commute, i can get as much as 73mpg. It all varies by driving condition and driving style. The biggest downfall for this car is that most of its competitors are hatchbacks and carry more cargo. Another thing is the lack of lumbar support and manual seats. For the price point of the EX trim, at least heated seats wouldve been a nice touch. The interior has a lot of soft touch plastic but doesn't look cheap, with the leather stitching on the dash that adds a classy look. The infotainment is phenomenally easy to use and straightforward, the half digital guage cluster is informative and the volume knob is a great touch. The lack of a shifter knob is polarizing but I personally think they are okay, they arnt the greatest thing but they arnt all that bad either. I am not a fan of lane watch though, rear cross traffic alert and blind spot monitoring wouldve been a better and more helpful solution. Overall, it falls in-between of the Accord and Civic in terms of features and feel but tops the two in terms of fuel efficiency... And in my opinion, value.

Still loving it after 24 months and 45,000+ miles

Ron Belisle, 07/15/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I bought the Insight EX at the end of June 2018 the first day it hit the dealership. Here are some thoughts after more than 18 months and 36,,000+ miles and four major cross-country trips. Have averaged 55+ mpg in town in moderate to warm weather. That goes down some to about 45-47 mpg in town in cold weather (We live in Spokane, Washington along the eastern border with Idaho). On the highway (mostly interstate driving) in summer it gets 42-43 mpg. And this is driving long distances to the Midwest and then to Texas and a few states (about 12) with posted 80 mph speed limits, so we are often cruising at 83-84 mph with A/C on. In winter the mpg goes down to 36--38 on the same interstates at the same speeds when conditions are safe. And by the way, it handles very well on snow and icy roads. Very happy with the smooth ride. The car handles well and the seats are comfortable. It has the feel of a full-size heavy car which we like. Love the adaptive cruise on the interstates and highways. The car automatically keeps its distance from the car in front. In my opinion, this is a huge safety feature for us. When the adaptive cruise is set to 75 mph and the car in front of me slows down, the Insight automatically slows down. When I change lanes and no one is in front, it goes back up to the cruise set speed. It uses radar for this. I've been told it will automatically stop to avoid collisions if I don't stop in time. Love the 8-inch touch screen with Apple CarPlay which we use all the time. I use either Google or Apple Maps for navigation and of course Apple Music. The speakers are good. Some of my audio books apps appear in Apple CarPlay on the screen as well. The backup camera provides a wide angle when backing up. Love it. Regarding other safety features. The lane departure warnings are useful. The backup camera on the 8-inch touch screen is fabulous. It has a wide view behind the car and you can see well to the sides. What I don't like about it is the engine noise when accelerating, going uphill, etc. It's loud. However, highway cruising, which we do a lot of, is generally fine. However, after a few months, I started not noticing it that much. We paid about $25,000 and feel it's an excellent value for the money.

Ad
Build Your Insight

pleasant surprise

DLF, 04/30/2019
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car feels more luxurious than one expects. It is very quiet with little wind and road noise, and the suspension absorbs bumps and road imperfections with aplomb. When the gas engine kicks in it is noticeable but only because the rest of the car is so quiet. I dont find it nearly as bothersome as some claim it to be, and i am noise sensitive. It handles very well, leans very little in corners and the steering feel is quite good also. So far i am averaging 53 mpg overall in mixed driving mostly in Eco mode. Note that the mileage indicator is very conservative: In a very recent test in Motortrend in which they independently measured mileage, it was quite a bit better than what the car indicated. This is different from systems in other cars that can be too optimistic. The electronics and electronic safety features are comprehensive especially for this segment, and are easy to use. I find them more intuitive in their layout than in a BMW 3 series. If i had to pick one nit, it would be that blind spot monitoring is not available on the left side. Overall i am extremely pleased with the car so far. 3200 mile update: Nothing has changed and i think the car is perfect for commuting. I am still averaging 53 mpg over the life of the car although as it is getting colder mileage is declining a little as expected for all cars. I still think that the blind spot monitoring on the driver's side would be important, and i would prefer the radar based system instead of the camera that is currently used for the passenger side. Lastly, the automated wipers i could do without. They do not work properly and often wipe too much when the wind screen is dry and (in the same setting) arbitrarily fail to wipe enough when wet. The conventional manual variable intermittent controls are much better. Otherwise the car and its equipment are great. 7000 mile update: no changes, the car performs very well, no issues at all except for the annoying rain sensing wipers. The 2021 Insight will have a radar based blind spot monitoring system on both sides which is a good idea. I end up not using the camera based system on the passenger side the often. Overall, the car is great and i recommend it wholeheartedly still.

So far a great experience

Tom, 03/14/2019
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is a red Touring version with no extra options. I have not had it long but so far really loving it. I'm getting 50-60 MPG around town, but no real road trip tests yet. I think the Touring option was worth the extra cost. The car handles well for it's size and weight. The low profile Continental tires on the Touring edition really stick to the road. There is likely a mileage trade-off for that. There is very little lean in the corners. It's so much quieter than the 2015 Civic I traded that I can hear the audio system well on volume 3-5. The Civic had to be up to 11-13. Speaking of audio, the premium 450 Watt system is incredible. One reviewer complained about having to reset the paddle-activated regenerative braking after every use. In fact this feature is redundant. The brake pedal also activates power regeneration in addition to the brakes. Light braking seems to be all regenerative. I think that is also safer as it lights up the brake lights to warn following traffic that you are slowing. Coming off a stop light the initial acceleration is very good even in Eco mode. I've owned 8 prior Honda/Acura cars and the fit and finish of this one is excellent compared to any of them. It took a while and some owner manual reading to explore all the instrumentation options. Wow, I have never owned anything like this. Pretty amazing stuff. Can't wait to take it on a trip! Now it's a few months later and there have been a few issues. About a month ago Apple Car Play quit working, but the wife's Android phone still connected to the car system. I went to the local Apple store and Car Play did not work with their phones either. Next stop was the Honda dealer, lucky for me just 2 miles away. The dealer disconnected the 12v battery to reboot the entire entertainment system. That fixed it. It's happened again since, but an iPhone reboot fixed it. The offending iPhone is a 6s running the latest iOS. Just 2 weeks ago the engine started running rough, a dead miss on one cylinder. I popped the hood open and #4 was cooler than the other 3. The car would not do over 45 mph because the engine monitor would not let it rev high enough to produce more power. I limped into a local dealer a few miles away on a Friday afternoon. By the time I got there the entire Honda Sensing system was showing errors for every sensor plus the check engine and emissions system issue lights were lit up. The dealer was covered up and could not get to it until Monday. The service manager took one look at all the error messages lit up and let me have a brand new Accord EX as a loaner. He called on Monday morning with the news that the #4 spark coil was bad and it would take 24 hours to get one. Tuesday he called again and I went to pick up the car. It's running as good as ever, but I'm sure glad it happened so close to a dealer. This experience made me very happy about buying the 60,000 mile extended warranty.

12345...20