2019 Honda Insight Consumer Reviews

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...20

Pros
Cons

Looks like an awesome car, overall

Jay, 08/25/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this 2019 hybrid, EX Trim. On the very next day, drove 600 miles on the highway. Being a hot day, AC was on a blast and the fuel economy was at 45 mpg with cruising speeds of 70 mph. Technology, lane assist warning (it wakes you up by jolting the steering wheel which is good), warning the driver to apply brakes when you are very close to the vehicle ahead - very useful and true companion for the driver. The only discomfort I felt was at high speeds - say 70 +, there is some kind of a big sound - not booming but clearly audible. Maybe because this is a no transmission type as Honda claims but if that high speed is smooth, it would be better. Having used a Honda Civic EX for 10 + yrs and also having used Honda CRV and Toyota Camry, I felt Insight is compact like a Civic but rich in features like an Accord. City drive is silent as battery is so smooth. Highway also was comfy. With no spare tire, better to take the Honda road side assistance and the tire package.

Saving Gas

Lauren K., 09/17/2018
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car is advertised as having mpg of 51 city / 45 highway. For the first few days when I was really conscious of driving fuel efficiently, I surprisingly got up to 60.1 mpg. However, I got too impatient of accelerating too slowly, so I ended up driving "more recklessly" and getting an average of 52.8 mpg. This is my average after driving 402 miles in the 1st week I've driven this car, which is really good knowing that more than 90% of the miles came from highway driving. My tip in getting the best gas mileage is to avoid accelerating too fast, that was what lowered my mpg the fastest. One thing that I want to tell people is that with this car, going uphill really drains that battery. I live in Happy Valley, OR which obviously (in its name) consists of a lot of uphill inclines to get to my house. And I've noticed that once the battery meter goes down to 3 tick marks or less, the motor starts making a lot of noise (I'm assuming that it throws away its noise-canceling aspect in return for the battery to last a bit longer). However, this doesn't seem like much of a problem because once you go down that hill, the battery is charged again. So I don't see it as much of a problem, just a friendly advice for people who live in really hilly neighborhoods my neighborhood is mostly averages like 40-degree inclines and 45-degrees at most, so its a bit on the extreme side). Overall, the engine is extremely quiet. I love this car.

Soooo happy I chose this car!

BlueDevilGirl07, 07/13/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great car!!! Drives like a dream, very smooth!! Acceleration takes some getting used to, but it really only sounds/feels a little different until you get used to it. There’s more than enough pickup for wheeling and dealing as needed. Gas mileage is everything they say it is. If you’re going to spend the money at least get the EX for the 1600 more, it’s worth it for the interactive screen alone. My only very very small grievance, they should have power seats in the EX. Also, I’m a pretty average size woman—5 foot 5 and 140 lbs, I feel comfortable enough but I wouldn’t call the front roomy. My husband is 6 foot 2 200 lbs and he wishes the seat would go back further. All in all, I’m struggling to find anything truly negative about this car. I’d buy it all over again—3 weeks and I’m in love!!!

Ad
Build Your Insight

12 MONTHS OF THE 2019 HONDA INSIGHT TOURING

Bob Bee, 07/25/2018
Touring 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

UPDATE: With 12 months and 9,000 miles, I still like the car. GAS MILEAGE is not even close to what I was expecting. At 70 mph I may get 40-42 mpg. At 45 mph I get 50 mpg. I think the issue is one that Honda can fix with a computer update. It appears the EV mode doesn't kick in fast enough to get those extra MPG like the Prius does but that comes from experience with the engine. Gas mileage is "fickle" because first the engine has to warm up before the EV mode available then the computer decides between charging "UP" the battery or putting the energy into better gas mileage. I owned a Toyota Prius Touring Edition and loved it. It has been a few years since I have purchased a Hybrid and looked at the 2018 Prius and new 2019 Honda Insight. Both cars I looked at did not come with a spare tire but I insisted and got one. I selected the Insight first because it was a 2019 model and price was good. Prius had a few better "features" but the Insight seemed like the car of choice. It drives very nice, very comfortable, mostly quiet and it is a "state of the art" updated Hybrid. It takes time to learn all the buttons and how to "personalize" everything but all in all, I think it will be a great car.

Honda Insight EX

Dr. Norbert Rosario, 09/01/2018
EX 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This vehicle is a great buy, but it needs an additional 12v adapter as it only has one, and it only includes 2 USB ports. The cloth seats do soil easily, but the marks come off easily. You would have to be careful when driving as the nose of the car does scrape if you do not take caution with bumps/ramps (entries into parking lots/businesses) on the road. Also be weary of the cement parking blocks. Other than that, the vehicle does get great gas mileage, takes bumps well, and steers/handles easily. Would recommend to those who do a lot of city driving.

12345...20