2019 Honda Clarity Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $4,005
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

I’m averaging 500+ mpg. Love this car.

D. W., 04/09/2019
Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Currently I have gone 1,900 miles and still have over 1/2 a tank of gas. I may go 5,000 miles on a single tank of gas (7 gallon tank). Mileage is incredible. I plug in a work for free so electricity cost is low. It usually costs $1.40 cents to charge at home and I can travel 50-60 miles per charge. My daily work commute is 56 miles and I make it 99% of the time on all electric. The gas motor will turn on if the battery is fully charged and then you apply regenerative brakes, thus overcharging the batteries. To prevent this Honda reduces regen and turns on the motor. To avoid this just use the brakes, no regen, for about a mile. I love this car. It is quiet, big, fast enough, and gets crazy gas mileage. I own a Volt, but the Clarity PHEV is better in most ways.

Love our 2018 clarity!

Kevin, 04/20/2019
Touring Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Love, Love, Love this car. Once you get past the skirts on the rear wheel wells (which apparently many people like) there really is nothing not to like. I mean, we got the $7500 tax credit, and have put over 5000mi since December and have probably filled the 7gal tank about 8x. When on the highway I’ve found I’ll get overall better mpg if I put it in hv mode, leaving the battery charged for when I’m doing more city or stop and go driving. It’s kind weird seeing the distance left going up as i coast or slightly break but who could hate that? The car is very comfortable inside however it does annoy me a little not having the driver side lumbar support but nothing is perfect. My only real regret is that we didn’t get it sooner. - VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER

The Clear Choice is Clarity

Curt Barnett, 04/22/2019
Electric 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

We have owned a Volt for 3 years and our other car was totaled and needed to buy a new car. With GM abandoning the Volt, we looked at all plug-in hybrid options. By far the best choice is the Honda Clarity, and we even like it better than the Volt. It gets about the same electric range (about 47 miles) and total range (400 miles), but it is way more spacious and comfortable. The tech is impressive, The seats are incredibly comfortable. The ride is very smooth. And above all it's great for the environment!

Ad
Build Your Clarity

Battery performance in the cold

Jimmy, 07/14/2019
Electric 4dr Sedan (electric DD)

In my first review I wrote: "The big question is WHY HONDA WON'T SHIP the Clarity to MN?" Now approaching 10,000 miles I can write that the answer is cold weather. Even in my attached garage, my car normally charges to 30 empg which is a significant decline from warm weather charging. Still, most days driving from suburb to city and back, I often use no gasoline. Strategic grocery shopping where free chargers are available can help boost my range but increasingly I have to switch from EV to HV mode. I estimate my total gas consumption to be 30 gallons in 9600 miles so still not bad at all but the burning is significantly higher in the winter, just because my overnight charge is so much less. Probably because of the mfg tires, traction isn't great and the inability to shift to a lower gear without triggering regenerative braking has made it impossible to attack steep, slippery streets. Thankfully my area is largely flat. I have learned that when approaching an ice covered intersection, using the regenerative braking paddles bring me to a stop FAR safer and faster than just applying the brakes. When I accelerate while burning gas, the engine whines like it's a two-cylinder. Switching to Sport mode helps with this but then I am burning more gas. It's still a comfortable ride in most conditions and there is plenty of back-seat space and a very generous trunk.

I call it "Rocket Car" due to its advanced tech

Stan Peyton, 06/11/2019
Plug-In Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It is roomy, quiet and solid. The gas mileage and electric range numbers live up to the billing. However, I find the front seats to be very uncomfortable. After about 45 minutes behind the wheel, I am squirming. I am 6'0" and 185 pounds. And, of course, the infotainment system is bottom shelf stuff.