Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 164 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

A terrific car, but not without its faults.
By Nick Beversdorf

2012 Honda Civic Si 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

After driving my 2012 Civic Si 4-door for nearly four years, I have yet to actually get tired of driving it. Whether it's the couple-mile commute to work, driving on some back roads or flying down the interstate, the car is and has always been a joy to drive. But there are a few slight issues that prevent it from getting a perfect five stars, and the chief "issue", if you could even call it one, would be the engine. There's nothing wrong with the Si's 2.4L engine, but it seems it could use some extra power. Off-the-line acceleration is a little lacking, but once you get past 2,000 rpm it becomes much more responsive. Passing power is phenomenal, especially when you downshift. That isn't to say the car feels under-powered in any way, it just seems that a few extra horses would have gone a long way to improve performance. Actual driving is wonderful...shifting is slick with the short-change six-speed manual and the steering is perfectly balanced...you never feel like the car will skid or slide on dry road (and it has never done that in my experience). Feel free to take this car and a winding road and feel how it stays firmly planted on the road, even at higher speeds. At that, it does have sport suspension and you WILL feel every bump and crack in every road and street you drive on. That's par for the course with most sporty cars, but it's especially jarring in this one (for what it's worth, I've only ever driven the car with all-season tires). As sporty and fun as this car is, it's still an incredibly practical car. It gets decent highway mpg and phenomenal city mpg thanks to the aforementioned manual transmission, and there's plenty of space in the front and back for passengers, although three adults in the back would be a squeeze. There's a decent amount of trunk space as well. Premium fuel is recommended, I'm sure you can get away with regular but if you want the best performance and fuel efficiency, you'll should stick to the more expensive gas. Maintenance-wise the car has been mostly perfect. Besides the usual tire rotations, oil changes, etc... the only issue has been rust in two of the tires' TPS causing a slow but steady leak over time. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but two out of the four tires is somewhat concerning. At that, if you see this car for sale, seriously consider buying it. While not perfect, you'll love it the second you get in the driver's seat.

Great on Gas
By David Rodgers

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Very reliable, excellent gas mileage

Great enonomy ride
By WK Mac

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car far exceeded my expectations. It's a winner.

I love my Civic!
By Annie

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my 2012 Honda Civic. I switched to Honda a couple years ago and I am so glad I did. At 6 years old, my previous car (not a Honda) had already blown through a starter and an alternator along with other random things that would happen to it. My Civic is very reliable and gives me NO problems aside from the normal wear and tear that every car goes through. My only issue is the paint. This was a known issue awhile back where several Hondas made in certain years had very weak paint jobs. The slightest, and I mean just a light swipe into it with a laptop bag or purse will create an obvious scratch. Granted, I do have a black Civic, but it seems it shouldn't be this easy to impact the paint job. Luckily, I was able to get some paint in the door jam fixed through my warranty and I did some other body work myself in order to avoid rot in the future. It also can be difficult to see if you're short. You can jack the seat up but you still won't be able to see everything around you so you have to be extra careful when backing up or parking. Later models have the backup camera so that is a great improvement. Structurally, this car is wonderful. I am considering getting a second vehicle so that I can have 4 wheel drive, but I love my Civic so much that I will not get rid of it until I have to. I hope Honda keeps making cars like this, I will be a Honda customer for life.

Civic ex
By Happy owner

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Great car. Reliable. Never has a problem mechanically. Gas mileage A+