Used 2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great on Gas
By David Rodgers

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Very reliable, excellent gas mileage

Great enonomy ride
By WK Mac

2012 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

This car far exceeded my expectations. It's a winner.

I love my Civic!
By Annie

2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love my 2012 Honda Civic. I switched to Honda a couple years ago and I am so glad I did. At 6 years old, my previous car (not a Honda) had already blown through a starter and an alternator along with other random things that would happen to it. My Civic is very reliable and gives me NO problems aside from the normal wear and tear that every car goes through. My only issue is the paint. This was a known issue awhile back where several Hondas made in certain years had very weak paint jobs. The slightest, and I mean just a light swipe into it with a laptop bag or purse will create an obvious scratch. Granted, I do have a black Civic, but it seems it shouldn't be this easy to impact the paint job. Luckily, I was able to get some paint in the door jam fixed through my warranty and I did some other body work myself in order to avoid rot in the future. It also can be difficult to see if you're short. You can jack the seat up but you still won't be able to see everything around you so you have to be extra careful when backing up or parking. Later models have the backup camera so that is a great improvement. Structurally, this car is wonderful. I am considering getting a second vehicle so that I can have 4 wheel drive, but I love my Civic so much that I will not get rid of it until I have to. I hope Honda keeps making cars like this, I will be a Honda customer for life.

CNG Automobile has carpool access
By John Cox

2012 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Honda Civic performance is excellent, but CNG vehicle carpool access is awesome for a commuter.

This is the car that drove us from Honda forever.
By IndyMike

2012 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.8L 4cyl 5A)

Ugh, where do I begin? We also have a 2002 Honda Civic LX Coupe that was purchased new in January, 2002 that is a much more refined vehicle. This 2012 edition is actually louder, gets worse mileage, is less fun to drive and RATTLES. From, like, everywhere. The cheap, hard plastic dashboard is the worst offender. The rear suspension has a weird squeak that developed in about the third year. The road noise is less now that we got rid of the OEM tires for some Yokohama Tornantes, which greatly helped the handling but it is still difficult to hold a conversation at highway speeds, especially when the road is rough or it is windy. The driver's seat has a stress tear in the fabric between the side bolster and the center of the seat about halfway between the bottom cushion and the headrest that developed in our third year of ownership because it sits so low and the seat bolsters are so aggressive you can't get in without bumping into them. It is painful to get in and out of and sits very low. We have to drive through the Ozarks once or twice a year, and this thing with its 140 HP is a nightmare on even well-paved hills. There just isn't enough power and many times we've felt unsafe trying to pass. The transmission shifts at odd times and frequently has to hunt for the right gear, and we don't even use the "Econ" mode because that just makes you floor an already slow car to get up to speed. We have always had Honda do routine maintenance and they have already had to add an additive to our transmission at the last fluid change because it had developed a mild shudder and slight slip. Almost any vehicle that pulls up behind us blinds us at night due to the low ride height and the huge back glass. We really dread going anywhere in this. It's a total piece of crap, and there's only 81K miles on it. If you simply must have a used Civic, do NOT get the 2012 model in any style or you will live to regret it. We're so angry with Honda's admission that they didn't think they needed to make this car nice from the start because Americans were having financial troubles and wouldn't know the difference that we will never trust them again. Seriously, who does that? We're done with this company. Looking at a new Subaru product for our next vehicle. Sorry, not sorry, Honda.