Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

HONDA [non-permissible content removed] EX
By Debbie

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the car for 6 yrs and have only put 38000 miles on it due to the fact that its parked more often than not. First it was the tranny then the head gasket then the front end right now its the valve cover gaskets [oil in my plugs] and the 4 ignition coils [auto stores want app. 50 bucks each thank god for Amazon got for 60] I used to think Honda was good. Now I no they are good GOOD FOR NOTHING Would not recommend to my worst enemy .

Really Can't Complain!
By Honda Driver

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car new, off the lot, in 2001. It has been a great car, up until about a couple years ago when, at 165,000-plus miles, the clutch gave out. I still have my questions about that, but I no longer frequent that mechanic. That was my first major repair. The original battery lasted 11 years!! Gotta agree on the headliner; several years ago it started drooping and I just used clear packing tape, and it's pretty bad now, but I'm not forking out $$ to fix it (the car is aging and is less than nice looking anymore). Upon going to a dealer for a recall fix, the service tech told me they see a lot of that. Made me wonder if it was some sort of defect. And the headlights - the last few years they seemed to go out quite frequently - annoying! I also had the SRS light go on and didn't want to bother with it, but, again, upon the recall for the airbags a couple years ago, the dealer checked it out (I didn't ask nor mention it) and it was the seat belt buckle - they told me Honda has a lifetime warranty on the seat belts so they fixed it free! I've gotten 39-40 mpg on the freeway (I stay at a steady speed) and roughly 34-35 in town. That has started to decrease a little in the last six or so months to maybe 36 hwy and 33-34 in town. And the dashboard lights, about a year ago, went out partially (the right side of the speedometer and the gas gauge), but, again, with the age and condition of the vehicle - not gonna fix it. It also started using oil a couple years ago, but the usage has remained roughly unchanged so far and, oddly, is better when I get an oil change/filter. I now have managed to get it to 189,000 and don't know how much longer I have. It has to be smogged very soon (I'm in California) and I don't know if it will pass this time (California gets more strict with older cars). I passed two years ago with flying colors, but now not so sure. If it passes, I'll be happy and keep going as long as the car doesn't $200 me to death. If it doesn't pass, whether I keep it will depend on what's wrong and how much $$.

**An update. I passed the smog. My new mechanic, I noticed, now uses 5-30 synthetic blend oil for my oil changes (it had always been 5-20 regular oil), and my oil consumption has decreased. Go figure. I'm hanging in there!

Durable and Reliable
By Steve G

2001 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 08 with 120k on it. It's now at 180k and it's still running without having done any major work on it. Just oil changes, a few batteries, and a new set of tires. Every year I spray the metal parts down with lube, and so far, I've had some issues with the axle rusting, the muffler completely rusted off, and someone was able to use a crowbar to just pry off my passenger door handle to get into my car. Overall, it's been a good first car, but I'm excited to upgrade to a new Civic.

Served me well for 15 years!
By Honda Owner

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

2016: Time for a new car, but the 2001 Honda Civic LX was great for me. It had very little problems during the time that I owned it, except for the "check engine" light, which seemed to go on and off like a bad light bulb. Having driven it for so long, I knew exactly what conditions would cause the light to go on (it had nothing to do with a "tight" gas cap). Driving the car for a couple of days would always cause the light to go back off. Other than that, I gave it regular oil changes, tire rotations, scheduled maintenance, etc. I never had any serious issues. I ran it for 145,000, but a trusted mechanic said it could easily pass 200K.

The unkillable honda
By Chris

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car just to get me through college thinking I would get something better once I got a decent job. I have said decent job but the car is hard to give up. I have been in 2 accidents with it both I was fine after and the car was running. Its never had any major repairs aside from a radiator after one accident. Fun to drive easy to upgrade. Compared to the 2002 corolla and 2006 acura RL I drove before the Civic by far was the best vehicle