Used 2016 GMC Yukon XL Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Yukon XL model:

A Fancy Suburban
By W Mendel

2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

This is a very comfortable SUV. The Denali 6.2 engine is worth the extra cost. It is very responsive and has good gas mileage. I get 17 mpg around town (not too many stoplights) and I get 21+ mpg on highway running at 76 mph. The on board computer is optimistic about gas mileage, telling me I get about 1 mile per gallon more than I really get by my own measurements over several long trips. Nevertheless I get better gas mileage than most pickup trucks and many smaller SUVs. Cargo area is not as good as my old Suburban and the second row seats do not fold flat--a problem if you haul a lot. With the Denali 6.2 the car drives and handles very well--this is a fast SUV.

Electrical nightmare / general poor reliability
By Mike

2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

Over 15 visits to repair electronics. Random faults would appear and had to replace electrical harnesses in the first year. Replaced front wheel bearings after less than 1 year. Continual reprogramming of software. Electronic transmission was erratic and took 3 times to repair. For almost $80K very disappointed. Traded fo Infiniti QX 80

Very Disappointed in GMC YUKON
By Shelly Bowen

2016 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

At 53,000 miles the luggage rack came loose and would hit the top on the Yukon and sound like someone hit it with a big boulder. It wasn’t covered under the warranty or Ext warranty. The dealer did talk to GMC and it cost us $100.00 instead of $1200.00 but instead of replacing with the Chrome Railing like it had they replaced it with solid black. Also, the control panel that is on the front window fell off and messed up the automatic lights as well as the cruise control. The seat belt would not retract after we picked it up at the dealer after they fixed the roof rails/luggage rack. So, back in the shop. Very disappointed after paying over $60,000.00 for a vehicle that continues to have problems! It’s was our first GMC and our LAST GMC!!! We have friends that has had some of the same issues with.

Dumped it after 6 months
By rob kowalski

2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

Bought this SUV brand new. Loved the ride height, power, and engine sound.

We have 4 small kids. The only way to change the rear zone temp is from the rear. My kids were in car seats, and too young to manage the controls anyway. Bad design. Heat was either on or off, couldn't adjust temp.

After five weeks the rear view camera stopped working every third time we put it in reverse. GMC replaced center console 3 times and it never fixed. I told them it must be a wiring issue but they said that is too hard and expensive to try to fix. It was a brand new truck! They told me they were going to charge me $3200. The truck was a few months old at that point, and I had bought it brand new from that dealer with 10 miles on it.

After 5 months a plasticky smell started coming from heat. Dealer could not find anything wrong and said it must have been our fault and they were done.

Lost a good bit of money but traded it in for another Sienna minivan. So much happier again.

Think twice!
By Caleb Rutledge

2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4dr SUV 4WD (6.2L 8cyl 8A)

We bought this vehicle because we love the yukon Denali's. We replaced a 2009 Denali. Unfortunatly the price does not reflect the quality. We paid just under $85,000 out the door for our loaded Denali XL. We knew going in that there could be transmission problems because of other reviews. What we didn't know is that everything in this vehicle is cheaply made. It shows nice but is only "skin deep", and it has very thin skin. We are very disappointed in almost ever aspect of this vehicle, when you pay $85k for a vehicle you have certin expectations. It is on it's way back to the dealership for it's 3rd warranty work, on the engine ( same 6.2 from 2007-2014 ) we don't even mention the deterioating leather and low quality of materials to thhe dealer. Oh and the Yukon only has 21,000 miles so far. We are planning on selling it at this point, probably go to Toyota, BMW, or Mercedes-Benz for quality, GMC isn't cutting it for the price tag they want.