Used 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sierra 1500 model:

Get ready for a nightmare
By Georgie Montes

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

The main point of a car is to get you from point A to point B safely and hopefully in a comfortable manner. Again, the main point would be the transportation part everything else would be secondary but of course a nice to have. Well this GMC does the exact opposite. You will (this is the good part) have the best-looking truck out there I can’t tell you how many times I've gotten complements on this truck and it is completely stock (no lift it does have 20" from factory). Interiors are very comfortable I am 6'8' and this is by far the most comfortable vehicle I've driven. Parking sensors and a backup camera are a big plus. Acceleration is ok I would have expected more from this engine but again it was the best looking truck in the lot. Now to essential part getting from point A to point B part. The truck has a horrible transmission problem I don’t remember the last time I drove this vehicle on an acceptable condition. The truck hard shifts (clunking), it stalls when you go from park to drive (press the gas, it revs up but it doesn’t move) it vibrates while driving (this was solve when they replace the torque converter), doesn’t shift properly ( you stop completely it goes down to second or third gear instead first so when you press the gas instead or reacting the vehicle stalls for a second while it decides it would be a good idea to go down to first gear since it was on a dead stop and then it goes), when shifting in to high gear it feels likes it goes one down and two up (very rough), etc. I've been to the dealer on multiple times. In the first visit they drain the transmission and replace the torque converter, this got rid of the vibration while driving but all the other problems remain. Seeing that didn’t really fix the problem the second time they replace the whole transmission brand new baby in there and it did nothing, the problems remained the same. Bough it back to the dealer and was told the valve body inside the brand spanking new transmission was bad (GM QA needs a six-sigma class) and it needs to be replace so I am waiting for that at the moment, that was three weeks a go and the part will ship a month from today. As every other part in this story it was on national backorder I’ll let you make your own assumptions as to why that is, mine is that they see this problems so rarely that they barely have a need to make the parts anymore. But not to worry while you go thru this whole ordeal GM will assign a friendly customer service representative (she really is) that will call you from time to time to assure your problem will be solve (eventually) and how sorry she is you are driving potentially unsafe truck while not really doing anything else. In conclusion I am telling you what I tell every persons that complements me on this truck STAY AWAY from it, buy a horse feed it properly and take it to the vet regularly and you will have a more reliable method of transportation.

Everything you need to know about the 2016+ SIERRA
By Alen Agic

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 8A)

This is probably the only review you will need to read as I will cover almost everything. I have an extensive knowledge of vehicles and have owned 96 vehicles in my lifetime (yes, keep record of every single one) for either work, pleasure, or daily driver. Start of by saying I have owned the vehicle since September 2016 and I have almost 30k miles, so I know it pretty well. I was looking for a stylish, but yet functional truck as I do drive clients, but also go to home improvement stores quite often (both for work). This vehicle has served as a work and personal vehicle. Prior to purchasing I looked at the Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado, Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra. I chose the 2016 Sierra Denali because I have favored GM vehicles in the past (owned several Corvettes and Impalas) and more so because I believe it is the best looking truck in its class (towing, payload, etc didn't play that big of a role in my purchasing decision). There are MANY complaints I have about the truck after owning it and I have found out that most of the complaints I have are common ones. I am starting off with the complaints as that is what I look for first when reading reviews. Also this is the only vehicle I have ever reviewed.
*Power train Concerns*: Engine - I went with the 5.3l V8 as I wasn't able to locate a 6.2l, I would strongly suggest anyone doing even any light pulling to avoid the 5.3l, calling the engine weak and under-powered is an understatement. Transmission - I was after the 8 speed transmission due to thinking it would provide better fuel economy over the 6 speed, although I am not certain, I can honestly say that the 8 speed transmission is one of the worst transmissions I have ever witnessed. The transmission is simply HORRIBLE. I took it to the dealership 3 times as I started experiencing problems around 7,500 miles, the transmission would downshift and you would hear and feel a loud thud, as if someone took a sledge hammer to the bottom of the vehicle (no exaggeration). That would happen between 1-2-3 gears and never past the 3rd. Along with the jerking of the transmission, if the vehicle sits over night and there is a variance in temperature when starting the truck and putting it in gear the transmission would slip, then quickly hold, and jerk the car - I almost took out my garage door! This is a major safety concern as someone could EASILY get injured this way. The dealership reprogrammed the transmission the 3 times I took it in, the problem still happens, not as often, but definitely still not OKAY. *Quality/Concerns*: The GM crew cab trucks have a severe problem with rail dust/rust (basically flakes of iron from when they are shipped get embedded into the paint and over time with oxygen and water it rusts and shows as little pin dot rust spots). I noticed this at 500 miles after owning the vehicle, GM offers 1 (one!) detail to remove the rust, basically what removes it is a clay bar... but the amount is so much that I still have spots all over mine after 3 professional details (even one back to the selling dealership in a neighboring state (Kirksville, MO). The shark fin antenna leaked water (driver side headliner), local dealership replaced - all is well. The passenger side taillight leaked water, local dealership replaced - all is well. At 29,450 miles and a trip I just got back from (reason for writing this review) - the truck shakes HORRIBLY going over 70 MPH! I have yet to take it to a dealership, but this is a common problem from GM, friend traded in his Silverado because it was doing it at 12,000 miles and the dealership couldn't fix the issue! We will see what my experience is and I will update accordingly. *Feature Complaints*: It does NOT have push button start, boo! This is just my opinion, but if this is your "top-of-the-line" truck, you should have this fairly cheap feature! The auto-folding mirrors, yeah they don't exist, you have to go through the settings to 'enable' them, but all that does is give you the ability to push the mirror button so they fold in, they will not fold in on their own once parking (not a big deal, but wth?). Automatic windows, the driver side goes up and down with one push... the passenger you have to hold to get it up - wow, how did GM overlook this in 2016 as my 2003 Escalade EXT had it. *The Good!* - Looks/Style, the exterior and interior are very well designed and aesthetically far more pleasing than the competition. The back bumper step, once you have it you can't go back! The soft close tail gate! In conclusion, I would rate the truck overall as a 6.5/10. I will be looking to trade it in and most likely will NOT be for another GM.

Good MPG for a V8
By Earl Red

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Double Cab SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Good truck overall and is very good towing 5,700 lb travel trailer. Transmission is a bit sluggish at times. Quiet ride, but can bounce over bigger potholes, railroad tracks, etc. Hope it will be as realiable as Tundra, but doubt it.

Too many defects
By Joel

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD 5.8 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

Have had too many issues with truck since buying it. Have took it in to dealer for issues with rear camera sometimes not working (still not fixed). A/C condenser also not working (still not fixed). I've also had issues when pumping gas the nossle just clicks off as if tank is full. maybe this is due to emission laws or whatever but its annoying and i can only pump gas at certain places witch is inconvenient (also still not fixed). Many people seem to have the same issues and GM nor the dealer can admit it. Will never buy GM ever again.

Best truck I've driven
By John

2016 GMC Sierra 1500 4dr Crew Cab 6.5 ft. SB (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

I had several Chevrolet LTZ's over the years but this truck is way better. So many upgrades and I still keep finding more. The ride is like cloud. Plenty of power even though I have it lifted and large tires.