Used 2015 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Ford Focus ST Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

I expected a lot more out of this hottest hatch
By Rob Edmunds Williams

2015 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Within two years of the original sale the AC had failed and the heater core was leaking. I'd have better luck selling used dairy products door to door than selling this car as a pre-owned item. It depreciated faster than any other new car I've ever purchased. In addition to the fanboi base that this car is popular with, it's price/performance puts it in reach of new empty nesters looking for a useful yet sporty car with reasonable mileage. Face it, trying to get your hands on a modern performance sedan with a sunroof and a manual transmission isn't the easiest of tasks, and that said, this car seemed like a great option. Meh, not so much. Let's compare it to the MKV GTi it replaced; mileage was easily 7-10 MPG less, storage space was much less thanks to a small, oddly shaped rear hatch/lower roofline and the rear seats not coming close to laying flat. Torque steer during acceleration was a nightmare and a prime reason why I ditched this thing. The GTi had about the same HP and it was a dream to throw around a twisty road or track, never feeling like it wanted to kill us. The interior layout was just confusing and busy instead of intuitive and easy to look at. I fit in the seat fine, but anyone who isn't athletic felt like they were being wedged in. In the end, twitchy power delivery does not equate to handling, and a hatchback does not guarantee useful space. I hope the next owner can afford getting the AC and heater core fixed.

Focus ST purchase
By Aron Eaker

2015 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Don't overpay for a used one. These can be picked up fully loaded for 28,000 or less. At that price it is a deal. Car is very comfortable and very fast for a small Hatchback. The turbo is a lot of fun.

4 cylinder with v8 torque and race car handling!!
By Jaime Perez

2015 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I had a 2015 focus st for a year. There was nothing wrong with the car. I only traded it in because I've been wanting to own a mustang since I was a little kid so when I was given a great offer for a 2017 mustang gt new I couldn't reject it. I will say that I will own another focus st as soon as I have room to have it sit next to my mustang in the garage. The car is amazing. I'm not new to high performance cars. Having worked at a dealership and being able to drive cars home and owned fast cars for extended periods of time, I've driven ferraris, Lamborghinis, cámaros, mustangs, corvettes, Porsches, sti's, golf r, mclaren, Nissan GT-R, M bmws like M5, M3, AMG Mercedes, RS audis , SRT cars. To make short I've driven the best of the best. The focus st has amazing steering and steering feel. Supercar like. I haven't driven a car with better steering even a supercar as good but not better. Anyone with a budget who needs 4 doors, trunk space, MPG, hp, reliability should buy this car! The car has plenty of power! And add just a couple upgrades and this car will have 400 torque. More that some v8's. A hatch rocket that gets 32 mpg!! AWD wrx or golf r not always the best. AWD gets worse gas mpg. I drove this car through snowstorms in Buffalo and New England winters. Snow tires and you're all set. What makes this car better than all the cars I've mentioned is that it's a car you can enjoy! You can floor it and take turns fast. Straight line acceleration is very good too. Lots of torque!! Very easy to drive in town. Push a supercar to the limits on the street and you will go to jail. Even the 435 hp mustang gt that I currently own has too much power that I never use. The focus st is the most fun car I've ever driven. This car is super tossable and corners like it's on rails!! When I want to relax it drives like a regular car. I know some people don't buy it because it's a manual but it's European based build in Germany. In Europe they still sell more manuals than autos. Manuals are less costly in the long run! You can run a stock focus st at the racetrack all day without the car even flinching. The quality is very impressive. The best steering I've ever seen and felt. It's a recaro of course. Very easy to drive and very quiet stock. Very easy to park and find parking. I added a flowmaster Super 10 muffler and it really woke up the car. I recommend it only if you don't mind a louder exhaust note. No rattles after a year. Brakes barely wore. Tires plenty of thread. The eagle f1's are amazing. Nothing but oil changes, tire rotations. If you buy a focus st make sure you put a sticky tire during the summer so the car sticks like glue and you can enjoy it to its full potential. The car is very fuel efficient. I would take it out for joy rides for an hour on backroads now and then and it would barely use any gas. I do recommend an intercooler because the car heatsoaks after a couple pulls. The only other ISSUE WITH THIS CAR IS CARBON BUILD UP!! CARBON BUILD UP ON THE VALVES SINCE ITS DIRECT INJECTED. MY VALVES WERE DIRTY AFTER 20,000 MILES. If ignored car will shutter at cold start up and can cause an engine light due to misfire like it happened to me once. Once cleaned it runs like new. Plan to have the valves clean every 20,000 miles or you can use valve cleaner from an auto parts store. Common issue with the direct injected ecoboost. Ford has no approved procedure so the dealership will most likely not touch the car and will want to replace the whole cylinder head which is completely unnecessary. Has to be take to an independent shop that knows how to do the process. Just google intake valve cleaning in your area. Most commonly you will run into a shop that does it regularly on some audis and bmw's. Don't shy way from the car because of this. It happens to any direct injected engine like some audis bmw's, Hyundai, Volkswagen, ford, chevy. Car has nice stereo, Bluetooth, keyless entry, push start, HILL START!! WILL HELP IF YOURE WORRIED ABOUT A MANUAL ON HILLS. Computer will hold rear brakes while you release the clutch so the car doesn't move backwards. Awesome feature!!! Very fun car to drive. Soft clutch. Manual so much fun. Drove it cross country twice!! No problems. Just watch your speed on the highway because this car was build for high speeds on the autobahn since it's based for Europe and you find yourself cruising at 85-100 mph without noticing. The suspension might be a little rough for some people but it's what makes that car handle like a race car! I don't doubt that you can easily put 300,000 miles on this car plus it's a ford at the end of the day. You can find parts everywhere and cheap to maintain. Buy this car. You won't regret it.

Update - 2015 Focus ST @118K (s)Miles
By Andolina, V.P.

2015 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is like traveling in a group of butterflies and hummingbirds, and you're a killer bee...

Positives
Fun to drive, great handling and acceleration
Tall gearing is economical and minimizes use of turbo boost
Excellent build quality and reliability – only repair costs to date are a battery and rear shocks (total less than $500)
Can transport large amounts of cargo for its size, especially with rear seats folded down

Negatives
Small cabin with minimal rear seat legroom
Weak HVAC with poorly placed outlets
No heated seat or mirrors if the leather seat option package is not purchased

Suggestions
For best off-the-line acceleration, start slowly and avoid wheelspin until the tires hook up
Manually run AC or heat at high levels at first, then adjust when desired temperature is reached
Continental ExtremeContact tires provide a smoother ride than the O.E. Pirellis and also provide more than adequate traction
Keep safety in mind and avoid attention-getting high speed weaving through slower traffic, which is frowned upon by law enforcement

Amazing bang for the buck.
By Ken M

2015 Ford Focus ST 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

When I went looking for a new car I really wanted some sporty but practical. I really loved the Subaru WRX but with a bare bones WRX it was over $26k. Found out about the Focus ST, did some research, and I had to test drive it. I ended up with the basic 2015 Ford Focus ST (no Recaro seats, dual climate, etc). I paid far less than the WRX and got much more; standard it has fog lights, LED running day lights (give it an aggressive look) Bluetooth, back up camera, great looking exhaust, all four power windows have one touch up/down, stainless steel pedals, very nice low profile wheels, and on top of this better gas mileage. I can't account for how the Recaro seats feel, I've heard mixed reviews, but the cloth seats that come with it look great (gray and black with ST logo stitched into seat) and are super comfortable, even for longer rides. As a daily driver it's a great ride. You have the speed when you want it and fuel economy to match. Merging onto the highway is a thoroughly enjoyable experience now and picking up speed on the highway takes no time at all. Where it's most fun is a good backroad, the steering is really tight, precise, and has a great feel. Add onto this the practicality of a hatch and you've got one great car. I can't account for the longevity of the vehicle but I'm hoping for the best, so far I've had 0 issues with.

Pros:
Great bang for the buck given everything that comes with it standard.
Great gas mileage for a sport car with a turbocharger (have gotten up to 33mpg on the highway).
Hatchback fits a lot, after removing the privacy cover I've fit two 80lb dogs comfortably in the back without lowering the seats.
The acceleration.

Cons:
Only a 60,000 mile warranty through Ford, which is kind of pitiful compared to their competitors.
Ford says you can use 87 octane fuel but from what I've researched you'll lose a little bit of fuel economy and 9 horsepower, no change in peak torque though.
The backup camera occasionally won't turn on when you put it in reverse, have to pop it into neutral and then shift it back into reverse.
Comes with summer tires standard which is great until the winter. Does not do well in the snow at all, but I am cheap and could not justify buying brand new all seasons or winter tires when I've got a new set of tires already on it. It may perform well in the snow with better tires.