Used 1996 Ford Contour Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Contour

View reviews for a specific Contour model:

Good first car
By jvhofw24

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

Overall, the car drives well. It has the right amount of zip when you need it, and I found it to be pretty reliable. I owned the car for almost six years, and up until a couple months ago, I only had relatively minor problems with it. (i.e. brake rotors, 1 alternator, 1 battery, and a window motor) I put about 90,000 miles on it while I owned it, I drove it all around the country, and it got me everywhere I needed to be. At about 160,000 miles, the car sort of began to fall apart, but I guess that what happens when you drive a Ford. I still feel I got my money's worth.

It drives smoothly, it's easy to drive, and it has good acoustics if you put a decent stereo in there.

Built with a lot of cheap parts. And lacks power in certain situations when you need it. It seems like buying one is sort of a gamble. It might work very well for many years, or it might not.

Eleven Year Ownership.
By D.Adams Contour LX

1996 Ford Contour LX 4dr Sedan

This car has been one of the most reliable and economical I have owned, especially after 11 years of mostly city driving in San Antonio,Texas.

The extra features of the LX model and its pleasant interior.

Seat adjustments for drivers of small stature could be improved. I have had to use extra cushions in the driver's seat.

Don't Buy This Car!
By hiker78

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I'm at 128,000k and it's sitting at a repair shop right now waiting for the auto salvage guys to pick it up...tranny finally blew and I'm done dealing with this hunk of junk, multiple and frequent problems beginning 3 months from purchase date; alternator, blower motor, brakes, sway bar links, outside window trims, temp gauge that burns out every 6k miles, serpentine belt, wheel bearings, broken cup holders, gas cap cover had to be pried open every time, various inside lights constantly burned out, paint peeling off front end, heat slow to warm up, weak A/C and the fuel pump wiring was at the point where I had to lean back and hold the plug down while turning the key to get the thing to start.

I liked the handling, smooth and responsive when it was working, good gas mileage (mostly in town). Took it on a cross country road trip and the seats were comfortable and the interior and trunk were roomy enough to accommodate baggage along with camping gear (tent, bags, food etc.).

I don't think this thing can be salvaged. These cars are lemons as a general rule and count your lucky stars if you got a good one...you're the exception to the rule. This experience has taught me the importance of doing your homework before buying a car!

My all-time favorite car
By rbsjrx

1996 Ford Contour GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my Contour used and have put a lot of happy miles on it. It has the largest standard wheel/tire combo available and I suspect the engine management chip may have been tweaked by a previous owner. It handles like a dream, virtually the same as my '03 Focus SVT (it helps that it's lower and wider than the SVT). Power from the Zetec 4 is quite adequate for occasional gusto driving, and works well with the OD automatic transmission. The state troopers once gave me a certificate that it can indeed go 92 MPH without breathing too hard. The only costly maintenance has been to replace the timing belt at 60k miles as recommended.

Excellent balance of comfort and performance. Overall, I have to say it's my favorite of all the cars I've ever owned, including the SVT I replaced it with when it reached 80k miles. My wife now drives it, but I still take it out to blow the plugs off from time to time.

The cup holders stink, but I understand they can be replaced with larger ones from later models. Now that it's 10 years old, it's apparent that Ford could've used better grades of plastic.

A nice looker & driver / keeps you broke
By Larry James

1996 Ford Contour SE 4dr Sedan

Car purchased by my wife with 35k miles, she puts 34 miles a day to work and home. Within the first year tires were shot, alignment bad, replaced ball joints, the large belt. Then at 50k to 60k miles front wheel bearings, Brake rotors, calipers. since then alternator, large belt. Now at 120k the front wheel bearings and brake rotors (warped) and now head gasket!

The handling on the road, straight as an arrow.

Wheel bearings do Not! go out at 55k and then at 120k as well as rotors warping. Design, design, design reliability. To late now for Ford