Used 2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Max Hybrid model:

Save the Planet and Have Fun Too!
By Gary

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think the C-Max never found its market niche. Environmental types wanted the Toyota Prius because of its better gas mileage. Families wanted an SUV because it can haul more stuff. Performance enthusiasts wanted a sports car because they craved more horsepower. But the brilliance of the C-Max is that it combines high levels of fuel efficiency, performance, and cargo capacity in one impressive vehicle. Over the past 1100 miles, our C-Max has averaged 42 miles a gallon in combined city and highway driving. Despite this frugality, it is a blast to drive. On the freeway, it rides like a bigger car. On a twisting two lane road, it is a real joy, with nimble handling and plenty of power. On a recent two-hour drive down Vermont’s Route 7, I passed everything in sight! Our previous car was a Saab 9-5 with a 250 hp engine, but the C-Max feels quicker. There is also a surprising amount of space in the car. With the rear seats folded down, I can load up my bike without removing any wheels, add all of our stuff for a long weekend away, and still see out the back window.

Pros:
- great gas mileage
- precise steering and sporty handling
- lots of power
- surprising storage space
- quiet interior
- large display screen with SYNC 3

Cons:

- the brakes are touchy. For best fuel economy, you need to use them very gently. It took me a couple days to get used to this.
- the tailgate is not as handy as it might seem. It opens up automatically if you have the key in your pocket and you swipe your foot under the bumper. But you have to stick your foot pretty far under the bumper to make this work, so it’s a little awkward.

Peppy, Well Handling Car
By Julie S

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I like everything about it except the lack of interior storage space. I wish there were more trays or cubbies.

It's Sportier Than You'd Expect
By L. Brown

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was in the market for a used car and was originally looking at the 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid. After test driving the Fusion Hybrid, I felt that the car lacked the roominess I was looking for. For the last 12 years, I've been driving a 2005 Mercury Montego Premier which has an incredible amount of space inside the cabin, between the front and rear seats, and in the trunk as well. I had hoped the Fusion would emulate that cabin space and was disappointed at how cramped the car felt overall. I noticed the dealer had a 2016 C-Max Hybrid SEL on the lot, and I was curious at how the C-Max stacked up against the Fusion Hybrid. On initial test drive, I was very surprised at just how much cabin space the C-Max had, especially considering it's relatively small size. The seats were tall and the doors large which made it easy to get in and out of, and overall were quite comfortable with lots of adjustments for the driver. With the driver seat set to fit me (I'm 6'0", 225lbs, with a 32" inseam), it was easy to get in and out from the driver side rear seat. The cabin felt spacious and the controls were easily laid out and easy to get familiar with. The cargo space was definitely small because the hybrid batteries take some significant space, but not terrible. I could easily fit a couple of large suitcases back there, but not much room for anything else. The view from the driver seat was impressive with a clear view forward and around. The moon roof provides a fantastic view for passengers whether in town or out. The headlights provide excellent forward and side lighting in low beam, and great distance on high beam. The thing that really surprised me was the powertrain. The 188hp hybrid motor attached to a CVT felt much faster and more responsive than the 205hp V6 that came with my Mercury Montego. The engine is quick to rev when under heavy acceleration but because of the CVT, it never feels or sounds peaky or revved out. Instead, it provides decent initial acceleration on take-off and when passing. On a curvy road at night in mixed weather (some wet and dry pavement) and uneven road surfaces, I was surprised at how composed and quick the car felt. Accelerating hard out of the corners, the traction control felt neither overbearing nor inadequate, and instead the car remained fairly flat and composed. I drive for Uber and Lyft, and I have received several compliments at the amount of space available for my passengers. As well, I am pleased that spending 5-10 hours in the driver seat doesn't make me feel like I need acupuncture or chiropractic care, unlike my wife's 2006 Mazda 3 Wagon. The overall gas mileage has been impressive as well. On an average Lyft/Uber night, I've seen 42 mpg regularly and up to 47 on several different shifts. Currently, my overall gas mileage has been 44.3 mpg with mixed driving in heavy traffic and on the freeway. So far, I really like the C-Max and I look forward to revisiting my review in a year to see if my opinion has changed.

Great deal on an excellent city car
By Jack R.

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Incentives for leftover 2016 CMax were fantastic - I was able to lease for three years with a residual that would bring total purchase/lease price under $20K. The car is lacking some items included in 2017 models (e.g. rear camera) but on the whole, the car is technologically light years ahead of my 12 year old Focus. I'm very pleased with the roomy interior while maintaining a compact profile, particularly the ease of getting in and out of the driver's seat. It fills my needs quite well for getting around in city traffic 95% of my driving time.

Great Car
By Tom

2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this about 8 months ago from dealer. It was sold as a used car as the dealer had used it as a service loaner, but it only had 2300 miles on it, so was almost new. I got a great price. So far I am very impressed. Vehicle is very quiet for its compact size and is delivering at or above the EPA ratings. Handling is excellent. Also, it actually doesn't look ugly, unlike the Prius and Prius V.