Used 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Ford C-Max Energi Consumer Reviews

SEL 2.0L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (30 reviews )

Red CMax Energi
By Mark G.

2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great overall car with lots of headroom F&R, fantastic utility and cargo carrying (hauled a few dishwashers and other large objects with seats folded down, brakes will last a long time with regen braking. Cons: when new was getting about 25 miles on electric as car and battery aged down to 15.... Ford support OK but not all dealers know how to work on plug in hybrids... Ford fights to replace battery even under warranty....

Did we just get a bad seed? Miss the Prius.
By Ed R

2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I see a lot of people pleased with their Cmax Energi, so maybe we just picked a bad apple. We bought this for the fact it would get me in the commuter lane and at the time there were no all electric options (other than Tesla) that I could comfortably rely on to make my round trip to work. Here's my take after about 4 years and just hitting 60k miles. Fuel economy - Battery has never gotten me as far, regardless of whether I drive freeway or local streets, as what Ford said it would get me. I'm lucky to get 13-14 miles on a charge, and I was expecting 20+ based on what the dealer and the Ford brochure suggested. Comfort - A much harsher ride and seats are not as comfortable as what we were used to with our 2004 Prius. Tires are lower profile and I know it's touted as being more sporty than our old Prius, but it's really not been a comfortable ride for trips out of the area. Road noise - Very noisy, especially if you are on stretches of freeway that are concrete vs asphalt. Tried to find replacement tires that might help the issue, but the difference is minimal at best. FYI - do not go to the snow, you are not supposed to use chains or cable chains due to the very low clearance of the front tires. Interior layout - Various controls are, in my opinion, in odd places. It still just doesn't feel natural after 4 years of driving the car. Infotainment system - Voice recognition is terribly inconsistent, and anything from asking the car to dial a phone number to asking it to find a destination has been very unreliable. If you turned the car off with the radio on, would you expect it to come back on with the same station when you get back in the car? Ours doesn't. 3/4 of the time you get in, it says it's on, no audio is coming out, and the only way to get it to actually turn on is to change the station (local dealer brushed it off like it was not that big a deal). GPS software is way out of date (like it doesn't recognize roads that have been in place in this area for 10-20 years). System was able to recognize iPhone, but has had ongoing problems since we switched to a new carrier and no longer use iPhones. Storage space - The battery eats up a ton of space, but that was clear from the first time we looked at the car. Reliability - Just got stuck with a $1350 bill for repairs associated with an injector failing. That stunk, and I question why this happened at 59k miles on the Ford when our Prius went for 170k miles without having an injector fail. Other random issues include the AC spontaneously failing to work on the seemingly hottest summer days, wind noise, backup camera is dysfunctional, and foot sensor operated lift gate rarely works as advertised (and seems to only respond to my foot which really makes my wife mad). In summary I have to say I'm disappointed and will not be looking at Ford products in the future. Even from a service standpoint, our experience with Toyota service centers was superior to what we have experienced through Ford.

Rear main seal leak ($1700 repair) & Low gearissue
By ItsB

2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Since there are not a lot of cmax energi vehicles on the road compared to other models I feel this review will inform a lot of used and possibly new car buyers of potential costly problems with the cmax energi. I need a $1700 rear main seal replaced to stop an oil leak and $100 software update to stop the car engine turning on when the battery is full in L gear. Also I recently spent $500 on tires and alignment because we had really bad wear.
GET THE CAR INSPECTED before you buy used. Have a mechanic pull back the plastic cover under the engine and inspect for leaks. Also test the car in Low gear immediately after recharging the EV battery to full and let it regen going down hill (more on that below). Check the wear on the tires!
POSITIVE NOTE: I will say that outside of these issues, I do like the car. My wife likes it a lot too. Lots of upgrades and features in the car.
I bought my 2013 cmax energi used with 98kmiles in 2015 for ~$11k. I have had electric, plug in hybrid and gas. The benefits of an electrified powertrain is lower maintenance costs and longer lasting. I figured this plug in should last longer than a conventional hybrid (like a prius taxi) with less major repairs if any at all.
To my future self: don’t buy first year a car model is made. I get the feeling Ford slapped this together without a lot of testing or R&D.
My Cmax odometer says 116k miles but the car display says 82k gas engine and 34k miles electric. I guess the rear main seal started leaking a lot earlier. This to me is a design flaw. Google cmax rear main seal leak and find the cmax forums and you will see many posts with rear main seal leaks at 28k, 48k miles, and even after repair leaking again 5k miles later!
Thank you reviewer who posted at 160k miles his transmission went out and repair cost $7000! I realized that my leak could become a major problem if not fixed! But since I am out of warranty if I pay $1700 and it leaks again after 2 years, unlimited mile repair warranty I have to pay $1700 again. Also what if the reason that reviewers trans went out was not the seal!? It probably was though, oil leaks out, transmission breaks. FYI My car is only worth about $8000 on kbb.com with 116,000 miles.
Ford did offer me a $300 discount on the repair after calling them many times and reminding them of all the Ford’s I have owned (4) in my lifetime. I also mentioned this would be the last Ford I buy if they can’t recognize this as a design flaw or help me with the cost of repair. $1400 is still a lot of money. Ford HQ made me take my vehicle back for an inspection before even trying to work out a discount (inspection was free with $30 oil change at a Ford dealer). I can’t afford the $1400 but will consider doing it soon. They only gave me 30 days to take their discounted offer.
On to the tires briefly…Get an alignment! And rotate your tires. I’ve seen uneven wear in two of these cmax so I think its something you should pay attention to in order to avoid buying new tires before you need to. Not a biggie but something to pay attention to. We had tow in and tow out on our wheels and the tires were bumpy. Could have been the last owner not paying attention. Rides much better now.
The engine turning on when the battery has been fully charged only happens in Low gear when I pull out of the garage and coast immediately down a slight hill incline the engine kicks on and revs pretty loud. I now never put the car in Low gear until the battery has depleted a little. When it’s fully charged I leave it in Drive not Low. A dealer told me it’s ~$100 to fix apparently it’s a software issue. Ford has no recall on this that fixes it. I have experienced this in another cmax energy as well as mine recently. If you pull over turn car off then on again the engine won’t go back on and it will run on Electric as designed.
I hope this has helped. I hope Ford stands behind their products and stop just sending me to the dealer to pad their pockets when this is not a common issue in any other hybrid that I know of. I also hope that this car can get permanently fixed and I can drive it with no other issues for years until I purchase my next car. And to Ford’s credit I do respect they never took a bail out in 2008 but if the car buying public keeps getting penalized for their poor designs with expensive repairs I will not buy a Ford product again.
I cannot understand why a 100+ year old company that has engineered and built 400 million cars cannot design a car that has a better crucial seal!

Beats a Prius
By darkcoupon

2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We got this car for my wife and I've ended up driving it more than she does. This thing has surprisingly great acceleration for a hybrid, and it handles like a go-cart. It looks pretty boring on the outside so you get a lot of surprised looks when you pass people on the highway or jump off the line at a stoplight to get ahead. The ride is incredibly smooth, especially in EV mode, and the interior is as nice as anyone needs. We live about 10 miles from my wife's work and the EV battery lasts long enough to get her there and back without using a drop of gas. The biggest drawback is the complete lack of storage in the front seats. I don't know how you build a car after 2010 without a space to hold a phone, but there is literally no storage aside from the cup holders, door cubbies, or center console. The touch screen is also a long reach, which makes it difficult to use while driving, and the entertainment system is pretty slow. The navigation runs at about 5 frames per second and connecting a phone or changing audio sources can be cumbersome. When the engine kicks on it can be a little jarring, but it's smooth while driving, and highway mileage isn't great. It doesn't get the best mileage in it's class, but if you want more from a hybrid than just good gas mileage this one is for you.

Buyers remorse, 5 years left to pay.
By james

2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, this car gets great gas mileage, especially if you plug it in every night. It's comfortable, easy to get into and quiet. Problem is the sync system by microsoft. Big fail. it also has myFord touch, a system that you can see how you car is doing and program some of the features for the car using your cell phone. It does not even start to work. It was one of the reasons I wanted the car, because I thought it would be neat to program the charging times, see the charging, start the climate control before leaving home or work. It operates on the obsolete 2G cell system, that is currently being dismantled by At&t. because of this many of the advertised features of this car do NOT work. It also failes to sync with my phone properly. If you just looking for great gas mileage and do not care about the advertised technology available thru myford touch, then it's a good car. If you have any expectations that the info-entertainment system will do any thing other than play the radio, you will be highly frustrated and disappointed. This keeps me from loving the car, and makes me feel like Ford lied to me by saying these features worked. I'm going to drive it a couple of years, but this will be the last Ford or Microsoft product for me.