Used 2007 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Dakota
By don

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Good vehicle based on value overall

So many repairs I cant even remember them all
By Mark

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car with 150000 miles on it so that maybe why I had so many problems but anyway with in the first 2 months of owning this vehicle the CV joints went out on it. Then about 3 months later a ball bearing went out. About 6 months after that had to replace the rotors and brakes which I realize are regular maintenance cost but, about 3 months after that the power steering hose exploded spraying fluid on the alternator causing that to quit working and also wrecking the belts for the water pump wrecking that as well. Only a week after that $1700 repair the ball joint broke on it as well. Then finally about a month later the sway bar links broke on it. Also the transmission has started going out I have since traded it in and will never buy one again. There is also a guy at my work with one who has had many problems with his as well.

If you work the bugs out...
By Randall

2007 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

What should shoppers know about Dodge Dakotas before buying one? Be prepared to have to work out the bugs to turn the truck from a dumper to a keeper. The Dakota is great on paper and during walk-around eyeballing. However, build and material quality is not up to Toyota level. Be sure to have a service warranty contract (and you have to shop and vet extensively to find a good one) before you commit to buying the truck. Be advised that Dakotas (and perhaps Rams also) in certain years had two factory defects the symptoms of which mimic each other: 1) PCM misprogramming of engine & automatic transmission operation and 2) bent driveshaft, causing one of the U -joints to bind. Repair folks (not dealer) said the driveshaft issue was not from damage by the previous owner but was a factory defect. The common symptom between the two defects is drivetrain shudder (feels & sounds like driving on a rumble strip) during a road speed range of about 30 to 50 or so mph. It was over $700 to solve these problems. Thank goodness I didn't need a new PCM, only reprogramming as per a TSB (there are several TSBs on these). The 3.7 liter V6 water pump won't make it to 80K miles; we also have a Toyota Highlander with over 90K miles with the original water pump doing fine. The quality of interior plastic is very poor and MoPar discontinues selling plastic interior parts @ about nine years (parts distribution unavailability earns poor dealership support). We once had a 16-year-old Toyota Camry and any part I needed, including interior, was available from the Toyota dealer & aftermarket. The Dakota console cracks at a couple of stress points. I addressed this successfully with Q Bond. At least the Dodge dealer fixed the recalled airbags with no problems. Now that the defects and repairs are finished I have a decent truck. Just don't pay a Toyota price for a Dodge; I was able to buy this clean 71K-mile '07 Dakota for way under book and it was for a reason. Now with the nagging issues behind me I can enjoy the truck's virtues, such as good handling (for a pickup), the right-size club cab, and the optional heated seat in cold weather.

Family man's Sport Truck
By Norm

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My third Dakota, gave the first one away with 320,000 miles on it, #2 t- boned a Chevy Blazer doing 60 mph (he pulled out, did not see me) front bumper was sitting on the front tires, both front doors still opened and I walked away. It had 265,000 at that time. #3 Had to go to Michigan to find it, Quad Cab, V8, Manual Trans. FUN TO DRIVE. I maintain them well and drive them hard, no major problems from any of them.

Manual trans, all 3 of them V8, what fun Quad cab

Put it back in production, as I understand it, Dakota was the last mid sized Quad where you could get a V8 and a manual trans. but pkg not avail after 08

Good work truck, good value
By crafty

2007 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've borrowed this truck from my uncle, sometimes driving it for a long distance. It has the 3.7 V6. I like how it looks and handles. It preforms good enough for me. Pretty good seat support and I kind of like how it drives. Fuel economy could easily be better. Overall, I think this is overall a good truck for a person who wants a mid sized pickup for daily driving and as a light/medium work truck. But yet again, it does have its flaws, like any other car. To sum up, I am pleased with the Dakota

Engine, looks, seats, steering wheel, good sized bed, nice gauges and controls, pretty good features, bed size, rear swing out doors, and perfect size

Gas mileage, stock sound system, no center counsel