Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

200,000+ still going strong!
By chevyman

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Passed CA smog at 183,000 with flying colors. No squeaks or rattles at all. Same mileage as new(crappy) I still love this truck. At 300,000 I will call Dodge and at 400,000. No leaks. As a precaution only, I changed the tranny at 189,000 to prevent any problems driving in the desert. People still tell me they like the way it drives. I own a 2001 Corvette so I know power, but this little truck gets up and goes.

Torque.

None.

Very good truck
By M. Woehrle

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This truck has given me 85,000 miles of worry free driving so far. I have had no major problems. The only repair other than normal maintenance has been a power window motor. Interior is comfortable, even on long drives. Styling is excellent. Ride and fuel mileage are pretty reasonable for a 4wd truck with a V8. I average 13-15 around town, and about 19 on the highway.

Compact design, with great interior room. V8 engine in compact truck. The 4.7 liter engine has performed flawlessly, uses no oil, and give good performance.

The bed on the Quad cab is nearly worthless. Very, very small. And the front brakes seem to have a very short life. Not uncommon on nearly every Dodge I have seen.

2001 Dakota quad cab 4x4 4.7 v-8
By mattew heddings

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Truck has awesome power from the 4.7L v- 8, but you sacrifice gas mileage, I originally got 11.6mpg in town was able to increase it to 12.5-13mpg by adding an AFE cold air intake and a spacer ring on the throttle body to atomize the gas better. 3 of the 4 power windows quit working and truck only has 71000 miles on it, Dealer wants $250- 270 dollars a door to fix. seems it should be recalled.

4 doors, Infinity stereo it great, handles well. throaty sounding exhaust

Gas mileage, better power window motors should not have to replace on truck that only has 71000 miles

2001 Quad Cab
By mtrialsm

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Dodge. I wanted a mid-size truck with 4 doors. The Quad was the only truck that fit the bill. I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Only problems have been taken care under factory warrenty. The ball joints were replaced at 33,000 miles and will be replaced again soon.

4-doors, size of truck.

Seats could be improved for comfort. Sun visors are too low. Better fuel mileage (duh!)

Great Truck
By CA Snyder

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck in 2002 and it had 11,200 miles on it. I've owned a lot of trucks both foriegn and domestic, and this is a great truck. Other than normal wear and tear there have been no problems. I replaced rotors, brake pads and changed transmission fluid and filter at 58,000 miles.

The engine is great, ride is great, and it's comfortable to drive

Have a four speed automatic as standard.