Used 2001 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

good truck ( except for mpg )
By norsmn

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very satisfied with this vehicle, up until now when the fuel prices have gone sky high. Mileage not bad in summer highway driving, but in cold winter temps it is poor. One power window motor quit working at about 40k miles. Had 2 factory recalls for the ball joints and a shift lever block problem. They were easily taken care of by dealership.

4 door with ample room in the back seat. Good stereo system with cassette & cd player.

Definitely needs better fuel economy.

careful of 4.7 engine
By disappointed

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I liked the 4.7 until I found out that by the time the check gauges light comes on, it is too late. My Dakota is sitting in the driveway with a blown motor. This all-aluminum engine is VERY prone to overheating, which will quickly ruin it. Turns out the water pump is very fragile too. Not sure whether the water pump or the head gasket went first. This is with only 76,000 miles on it. Suggest carefully looking at the 5.9 engine, even though it has a little less power and less mileage.

Great Truck
By Dan

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Club Cab 4WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great truck with great reliability and power. Very fun to drive with great handling, only downfall is fuel economy. I get around 12 to 13 mpg, but other than that this is a great truck. I drove a standard cab Dakota 2wd 3.9 L V6 than upgraded to this 4wd 2 dr ext cab with a 4.7 L V8 and love it. Does very well in the snow too.

Power and acceleration

Improve fuel economy

my truck
By wayne

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great riding truck, with the v8 magnum 318, has lots of power. We put an energy cell on the fuel pump and we get 20 miles to a gallon average. We are not getting rid of this truck, has lots of miles left on it

power on the v8 318

200,000+ still going strong!
By chevyman

2001 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab 2WD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Passed CA smog at 183,000 with flying colors. No squeaks or rattles at all. Same mileage as new(crappy) I still love this truck. At 300,000 I will call Dodge and at 400,000. No leaks. As a precaution only, I changed the tranny at 189,000 to prevent any problems driving in the desert. People still tell me they like the way it drives. I own a 2001 Corvette so I know power, but this little truck gets up and goes.

Torque.