Used 1999 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Been a great truck
By Haywoood Jablomi

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

Really loved this truck, hated to sell it. I still miss it.

intermitten transmission
By mike aggas

1999 Dodge Dakota 2dr Regular Cab SB

shifts fine one day doesen't shift out of first the next but i wont trade it for any other make

My Review
By R Reed

I like my truck.

A great truck
By scott251

1999 Dodge Dakota R/T Sport 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a solar yellow r/t and it was a great truck. That thing had tons of power and was pretty fast. I never had any issues with it. I drove great, was comfortable, parts were cheap, looked great, an all around good truck. It had 142,000 miles on it when I sold it. I sold it due to the gas mileage and gas prices but I miss that truck everyday and plan on getting another soon.

The looks of it. Power

Made it with a manual transmission.

Great mid-size pickup, virtually unique
By lphilpot

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

At 117+K miles, it's still completely trustworthy (17 city, 20+ highway with a 3.9L V6). I've done the usual scheduled maintenance and replaced a few things along the way (water pump, power steering hose, idle motor, battery, filters, serp belt, shocks, etc.), but nothing extreme. The biggest one was to replace a couple of creaking factory front suspension links with zerk-equipped aftermarket units. The 'shift profile' of the auto tranny IMO upshifts too quickly for the V6, impacting acceleration if you're not familiar with its behavior. It's fine in the flatland, but in hills (particularly on cruise), it downshifts a lot, sometimes drastically. All in all though, I still like it a lot.

I'm almost 6'2" and really have enjoyed the legroom in the Dakota. With my driver's seat pushed all the way back, I can lock my knees and my foot (under the brake pedal) is still off the floor. The overall size of the Dakota is great for me - Plenty of room without the usual pickup 'hugeness'.

Make the back "seat" (i.e., slab of upholstered foam on the floorboard) more substantial.