Used 2015 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Sonic Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

Deceptive car
By CRYSTAL

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Cannot lower the front of the driver seat nor tilt the headrest after 3 years I've replaced half of everything that makes the car run water pumps $200 fan assemblies hoses belts air intakes metal lines after 3 years a car should not have to have this much work done where I live the speed limit does not get over 55 miles per hour my car still looks brand spanking new but is falling apart

Engine failure, car broke down 4 times in month
By Ktornese

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought a 2015 Sonic LTZ, certified pre-owned with 14,000 miles, under manufacture warranty. I traded in a 2006 Jeep liberty, purchased for my 19 year daughter in college. The car ran fine action you can take.er.Then all the lights were on the dashboard so she brought it back a week later to the dealer. The engine had many problems,they replaced everything on the engine they could, was in the dealer for 2 weeks.One week later back in again with engine problems. Now back in again with over heating problems light on the dashboard. This car is under warranty so they have to fix it at no cost to us but, GM told me they can only help by fixing it won't have anything to do with trading it in or providing a swap out. I told them this car was built wrong why does a consumer have to suffer this,wanted to get rid of it. They will not help you if you have a lemon of a pre-owned. Some states do support certified pre-owned law suits,so research out further action to take. The dealer I bought it from washed their hands of the sale of this car as i shipped it from PA to Arizona. Don't bother to buy this car its a real piece of junk.

Great For College Student, Many Standard Features
By ASA203

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I own 2 Sonic LT's one a 2012 and the second a 2015. I bought both new and they are currently used by the students away at College. It's hard to find a car with these features for the price. Standard on the LT is PW, PL, Cruise, Alloy Wheels and Remote start. The 2015 has the option package that includes 16" wheels, fog lights, backup camera and touch screen infotainment display. The Sonic comfort and ride is better than the Corolla and Ford Fiesta. Plenty of room for 4 with luggage space in the Sedan. The other great feature is On-Star's free basic system for 5 years which allows for Remote Start and Locking/Unlocking the vehicle from your Smart Phone. My only complaint is the factory tires are really bad in the snow. I replaced the OEM tires with good all-season tires and traction is much better.

A Big Car in a Small Car Body
By Ryan

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After dumping a 2015 Honda Fit that proved to be unreliable and felt flimsy, the Sonic has been a breath of fresh air.

We were able to get our 2015 in early 2016; a left over LT with the manual transmission for $12,500. It was a steal! Compared to the Honda, the Sonic feels like a big car wrapped in a small car body. The interior is extremely quiet at all speeds and there's minimal wind, road, or engine noise that comes into the cabin.

The 1.8 liter isn't the fastest, but does fine getting up to speed, and hasn't ever felt slow. The 5-speed's well-spaced gears certainly help and the shifter slips into gears easily. The clutch is light and forgiving. The ride is on the firm side, but pays off with pretty good handling and steering feel. It doesn't match the Fiesta or Fit in that regard, but can still be a lot fun on a windy road

I love the design, and prefer it over the newer, more generic 2017 Sonic. The exposed headlights, and circular theme within the tailights stand out from the crowd. The same goes inside. Many either love or hate the digital, motorcycle-inspired gauge cluster. I personally love it; it's unique, quirky, easy to read, and being digital, makes staying at a certain speed a simple task. The rest of the interior is also user friendly and straightforward.

Interior space upfront is generous and the footwell area has enough leg room for tall folks. The rear seat doesn't match the Fit, but is still better than most small cars. The trunk is pretty shallow with the seats up, but the hidden shelf below the load floor is clever, and there is loads of space if the seats are folded. The seats are very comfortable and make long trips tolerable.

Reliability has been good, and in one year and 3,000 miles, the only issue has been the carpet in the driver's footwheel started to bunch up. It was replaced under warranty with no questions asked.

Is it perfect? No. The rear pillars are thick and there is a significant blind spot. Some of the plastics inside are a little low-grade.

But overall, it's a fantastic car. It's a great value, built in America, has interesting style, and is a small car with few of the small car compromises. It's just an easy car to live with.

Low cost fun!
By Ted T from Hollywood, MD

2015 Chevrolet Sonic LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car out of necessity in October 2015 to replace my 2005 Ford Escape, which was in need of major repairs. My criteria was to find the least expensive Chevrolet I could by that was actually built in the United States. I have the base LS Sedan 5 speed, and my only factory option is a cargo net. Let me begin by saying I had no idea how much I would enjoy driving this car! It is by far my favorite of our family drivers, which include a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, and my daughter's 2011 Chevy Cruise. My Sonic Sedan sits family high, it has great sight lines, it is very easy to get into and out of, even for occasional front seat passengers well over 6' tall. The trunk is cavernous, and with both back seats folded down, you can carry a ridiculous amount of stuff in this car. The Sears are comfortable, and with four average size passengers, there is more than adequate room in the car. The real pleasure of this little car is in how nicely it drives. I have the base 1.8 liter engine, with a 5 speed. The transmission is very good, and goes easily and almost crisply into gear. The gear spacing (ratios) are perfect, with just the right amount of performance overlap from one gear to the next, and this car will go 75-80 mph all day, without you the driver feeling like you have been beat up in a small car. The suspension is interesting. The car has a nice compliant ride over any road surface, and the ride quality is surprisingly good. You'd be tempted think it was sprung too softly, and then you hit a curve, and you take that curve in complete control. Amazing for a car with a beam rear axle; but then again, I read that Chevrolet had the suspension team for the Corvette set the spring rates and shock damping for the rear suspension. My combined mpg is 34.5 mpg. All day long. If I reset the mpg display before a hwy trip I can get 40 mpg. That's the truth, and may be due to manual transmission. So, that's all the stuff I like. - - What I don't like is the quirky LED instrument panel. The only analog gage is the tach; everything else is digital. My biggest complaint with it is that there is no temperature display, which is a pain in the winter time. I'm not a fan of the instrument panel, and I think that Chevy has fixed that, and gone more analog in 2017. Also, the base "infotainment" system is pretty lame; front door and A pillar speakers only, nothing in back, and am-fm only. I have to use an aux cord with my iPhone. There is no USB port in the base car (LS). I use a 12 Vdc adapter to charge my phone in the car. The Bluetooth, however, does work great, and I use that feature all the time. The car is also a WiFi hot spot, which is pretty cool. I should also say that I have had absolutely ZERO problems with this car, from a maintenance or build quality perspective. I is very tight, and very quiet. -Surprisingly so. In summary, I like this car A LOT! I bought it as "BT" - basic transportation, but it has turned out to be way more than that. Finally, on a recent business trip, I had the chance to rent a 2014 Sonic LT sedan with 42,000 miles. That car had all the stuff I like about my car, but with power windows, an automatic transmission, and a decent factory sound system, and with 42K on the click it was still tight and quiet. These are great little cars, that live a lot bigger than they actually are.