Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS & MORE PROBLEMS
By Anonymous

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Worst car ever. Timing chain problems. The terrain is also very similar as it has the same motor. Timing chain in terrain is warranties up to 120k miles so why wouldn't the equinox have the same warranty if it's the exact same motor?? That's stupid. The timing chain will literally ruin the motor. I am currently in the process of spending thousands of dollars trying to get this fixed and mine is a 2012. My aunt bought brand new and same exact thing happened to her. I am a single mom and bought my car less than 100k miles and its failing. Transmission problems, timing chain is bad and now I get to see if I need to replace the motor. This is the second car I've bought from GM and I will never buy again. Most of their cars are built with unreliable motors. They are so focused on making it look pretty and techy that they forget reliability is of most importance.

NEVER AGAIN
By Shanti Buttram

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2013 and it was brand new. The car only had one issue before it rolled over 100,000 miles and it was something to do with the transmission. AS SOON as I reached the 100,000 mile mark and my warranty was no longer in effect it has been one problem after another. I had to have the rear main seal replaced TWICE, the gas pedal sensor replaced and now I need a service on Stabilitrak. I am about ready to drive this damn car off a cliff. I will never buy Chevy again.

Un Equalnox
By William Rowles

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle has been very reliable, and durable. Got into a serious accident two years ago, not only was I not injured I drove it home. Now have 75,00 miles on it and have to replace the brakes soon, it still passed inspection, replaced the tires at 50,000 miles. Gas mileage for an SUV is very good, and although it's a little under powered it gets me where I have to go.

Reasonable SUV
By RGB

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Decent mileage, very few repairs. We were able to go 70000 before doing the first brake job and 60000 miles before replacing the original tires.

OIl Burner
By beverly greene

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Equinox 2 years ago and I have had nothing but problems with the motor. I received a letter from Gm saying they put the wrong Piston Rings in the motor causing it to burn a lot of oil. I had to go thru 8 Months of oil Consumption testing to prove to them that it was loosing a lot of oil. Every thousand miles I had to take it in and have them check the oil level and have them document it on a piece of paper I had to keep in my glove box. After month 8 I went in and raised heck and demanded they fix it, I had enough. They got permission from Gm to take the motor apart they replaced all of the pistons, timing chain, oil pump, barring's and other nuts and bolts plus a full oil change. You would figure this would solve it but it hasn't now I have creamy residue on the dipstick every time I check the oil, they said its just moisture. No its called blow by and it means something is still not right. They will not check it and told me if I'm still loosing oil that it is ok to loose 1 quart every 2,000 miles. So I have had enough and I am getting rid of it as soon as I can.