Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

NEVER AGAIN
By Shanti Buttram

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2013 and it was brand new. The car only had one issue before it rolled over 100,000 miles and it was something to do with the transmission. AS SOON as I reached the 100,000 mile mark and my warranty was no longer in effect it has been one problem after another. I had to have the rear main seal replaced TWICE, the gas pedal sensor replaced and now I need a service on Stabilitrak. I am about ready to drive this damn car off a cliff. I will never buy Chevy again.

Un Equalnox
By William Rowles

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The vehicle has been very reliable, and durable. Got into a serious accident two years ago, not only was I not injured I drove it home. Now have 75,00 miles on it and have to replace the brakes soon, it still passed inspection, replaced the tires at 50,000 miles. Gas mileage for an SUV is very good, and although it's a little under powered it gets me where I have to go.

Reasonable SUV
By RGB

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Decent mileage, very few repairs. We were able to go 70000 before doing the first brake job and 60000 miles before replacing the original tires.

OIl Burner
By beverly greene

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Equinox 2 years ago and I have had nothing but problems with the motor. I received a letter from Gm saying they put the wrong Piston Rings in the motor causing it to burn a lot of oil. I had to go thru 8 Months of oil Consumption testing to prove to them that it was loosing a lot of oil. Every thousand miles I had to take it in and have them check the oil level and have them document it on a piece of paper I had to keep in my glove box. After month 8 I went in and raised heck and demanded they fix it, I had enough. They got permission from Gm to take the motor apart they replaced all of the pistons, timing chain, oil pump, barring's and other nuts and bolts plus a full oil change. You would figure this would solve it but it hasn't now I have creamy residue on the dipstick every time I check the oil, they said its just moisture. No its called blow by and it means something is still not right. They will not check it and told me if I'm still loosing oil that it is ok to loose 1 quart every 2,000 miles. So I have had enough and I am getting rid of it as soon as I can.

Watch the rings
By Bakiton2005

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this vehicle new because of high reviews. At first everything was as suggested. Everything about the all wheel drive and braking system was correct. Loved it. It handles and drives very well in all weather conditions. I live in West Virginia so we have everything from all seasons of the year to mountains and curves. Fuel economy was I thought very good at about 25mpg. We took it on many trips and it was as comfortable as you would expect. Now the bad. Going from a stop to go the throttle response is very poor and hesitant. The transmission is sloppy and on many occasions is doesn't seem like it's ever going to shift down when you hit a hill and sometimes shifts ruff when dropping or shifting up a gear on flat land. The engine is the main problem with the vehicle. I did not know that it was burning oil the whole time I had it. I was never notified that they have a major problem with the rings which caused the motor to burn oil and because it burnt off through the exhaust you will not know unless you check it every 1000 miles. I found this out at 65,000 miles and Chevy did repair it. Thank God for the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Also found out the hard way that pcv valve can build up water and if it gets to cold will freeze and blow out your rear main seal which in turn blows up the motor. So at 138,000 miles I had to replace it. Oh and by the way make sure you always turn off your windshield wipers because if you had them on when you get out and that night it snows or freezes when your wipers come on the transmission has these cheap plastic pieces that hold it together and they break easy. That's about a $150 if you install. Basically chassis good power train not so good.