Used 2010 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 308 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Good SUV, in search of an engine
By Kirk

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LT1 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

4 cylinder is just Ok on power, and is known for timing chain, balance chain & guide issues

Not at all happy
By K.Kips

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my equinox Ltz 7 years and only has 28 thousand miles on it .Just had to replace a coil 700 dollars later and still has to go back in the spring for 700 in a c repair.I would think buying a brand new vehicle you should be repair free longer than 28 thousand miles.I've referred 3 friends to buy an equinox in the last 7 years but you better believe I will never suggest anybody else buy one!!Needless to say I'm livid with this suv now.so I wouldn't recommend the equinox Ltz

The GM Certified Preowned car that was not!
By Stewart Solomon

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i purchased a 2010 Equinox LS for my son on his 16th birthday. My agreement with my son was that I would buy him a car and he would have to pay for maintenance and gas. I purchased a GM certified Preowned car with the hopes repairs and maintenance would be reasonable fro him. The GM CPO booklet states "Buy with Confidence" and "No worries" . My review starts with the quality of the Equinox that GM built. I purchased the car with 54,000 miles. The car only has 68,000 now. The repair history on the car has the vehicle in the shop three times for major AC complaints and two times for Stabiltrak Braking issues. The dealer certified the car with aftermarket air conditioner parts ( a clear violation of the GM 172 point inspection). The car also recently required both front and rear brakes because the dealer did not replace these in the certification process with 54,000 miles on car. The repairs exceed $4,000 in the first 14,000 miles of ownership. I could live with all of the aforementioned issues if GM backed it's CPO program with outstanding Customer Support and placed a high bar on quality that all dealers must meet. I know the best car manufacturers build cars with defects and all manufacturers have dealers that rate from excellent to poor. In the end, it all comes down to GM Executive Leadership demanding performance from all it's employees, partners, and dealers. GM Executive Leadership is the top of the food chain and they set the tone on quality at the factory and what a dealer gets away with. I suggest the bar to meet on quality is set very low. Recently, my son enrolled as a freshman in college and took the car into the local dealer near school for a Stabiltrak warning light issue. He called home saying the repair estimate was over $1,300. The car needed new front and rear brakes and Stabiltrak repaired. I called the dealership only to learn the car had the original brake pads (hey had not been changed at 54,000 miles). Knowing this was a CPO and that the 172 point inspection required about 50% of the brake pad remaining and knowing the car also had aftermarket parts in it's CPO history, I filed a complaint with GM Customer Support questioning the overall certification experience. They asked me to send in a formal complaint with all the supporting documents.
As my son needed the car, I paid for the $1,300 repair while the Customer Support complaint was still pending. A couple weeks later the Stabiltrak light came back on again. I was really upset as I had just paid the dealer $1,300 and the Stabiltrak was still not fixed. I called GM Customer Support to find out the status of my complaint only to hear the complaint had been escalated to a Senior Advisor and he closed the case by referring me back to the dealer. The case was closed without anyone at GM explaining their position to me and without anyone even asking how my car was doing after the repairs . Had they asked, They would have known I paid $1,300 to the local dealer and still had the same Stabiltrak warning light on. I then filed a complaint ( sent certified mail to confirm receipt) to Mary Barra's (CEO of GM) office and never heard anything. My son took the car back to the dealer that charged us $1,300 and today they claim the Stabiltrak error code is different and requires another $450 to fix. In the end, I would have likely saved money, received a better quality vehicle, and received better Customer Service from a local corner used car lots than I received from purchasing a GM certified car.

Nice car, poor reliability
By Brant

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car when looking for a replacement car for my daughter. It was a one owner in immaculate condition with all service records and regular oil changes. Had driven one as a rental car on vacation and was impressed with the car and especially the fuel economy. Granted it was an FWD model but we averaged well over 30 MPG. My AWD car has never broken 23 MPG, although I have yet to take it on a highway trip. The A/C compressor and fuel pump had already been replaced when the car hit 90k miles. After owning it for a few weeks, I noticed the engine was making racket when sitting in a drive though line next to a wall. Brought it back to the dealer and after 2 days of diagnosing determined it had a faulty timing chain and a cracked exhaust manifold. After searching online I found that these are common issues in the Ecotech line of GM 4 cyl engines. Luckily it was all repaired under warranty. I have had Hondas and Toyotas since 1984 and have never had anything like these issues happen. My Equinox is now essentially a rebuilt car. As much as I enjoy the car I would advise folks never to buy one of these used until the above issues have been corrected. The above repairs, along with the A/C compressor and fuel pump would total well over $5,000, I would imagine. Inexcusable in today's world. Read reliability surveys and consumer reviews on websites such as Edmunds. Should you do so and still purchase a car like this you have no one to blame but yourself.

Depend on this car to be undependable
By Debbie Romero

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

These vehicles have a history of having numerous issues. I regularly receive notifications from attorneys regarding the many engine, ac, fuel components, electrical, and other areas owners are having issues with. Although Chevy has covered 4 recalls on my car, I have still had to invest thousands of dollars of my own, on AC, and electrical issues. My car currently has only 48,000 mi on it!