Used 2017 Chevrolet Cruze Consumer Reviews

Used Cruze for Sale
Select your model:
12345...17

Pros
Cons

The hidden gem of the automotive industry

Richard T, 01/27/2018
LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I rented this car for two days and it was amazing! At 50mpg the cruise control indicated 60mpg and at 70mph it was 42mpg. The claimed 47mpg highway entirely believable if a bit conservative. The range with a full tank (13 gallons) was an indicated 538 miles. These are incredible numbers for a vehicle that is not a diesel and is of this size. The seats were very comfortable. I drove non-stop from Fort Lauderdale to Jacksonville without a single ache or pain. The cabin was very quiet. I carried on several conversations while on the move and not once did exterior noise interfere. Which gets me to the Bluetooth connectivity. The pairing to my LG Aristo was effortless and connections to it once I started the car were instant. The backup camera was clear with the display being large enough to be effective. The steering assist lines on the display curve as you turn the steering wheel and while I never really got accustomed to them enough to trust what they were telling me, they seemed to be accurate enough. The stereo had easy-to-use controls and had very good sound. The 1.4L turbocharged engine was smooth, quiet and eager to please. Flooring the pedal brought decent acceleration that surprised me every time I did it. The 6 speed automatic shifted crisply and smoothly and never hunted for gears. The brakes were firm, linear, and positive. I love them if only because they are discs front and rear, a feature thankfully becoming the norm, even on small, economy cars. What didn't I like? To be fair, the following will be mere quibbles and nothing in the list would prevent me from buying one or renting one again. My biggest problem with this car was the parking brake. Located as a pedal on the floor, that was at first a nice touch. I like pedal-operated parking brakes because they keep my hands free to grab my belongings in a hurry. But this one was a bit unpleasant. It was mounted fairly high, had very little travel and was stiff. My wife has a 2011 Camry and by comparison that pedal,-operated parking brake is effortless. It was also difficult to tell if it was disengaged fully, forcing me to check the dashboard to see if the indicator light was extinguished. I suspect most owners will opt to not use it and just use the transmission to keep the car from rolling away (a practice I do not subscribe to). The next item on my list is the stop-start feature. This was a welcome feature in and of itself. The engine shut down and restarted so quickly and smoothly that it took several miles before I realized that it was happening! The tachometer does display when it is active by dipping below zero to an area labelled as "AUTO STOP". The moment the car comes to a stop the engine shuts down. Release the foot brake and the engine comes to life before your foot gets back on the gas and off you go. Nice. But my problem is that if you take your foot off the brake to creep forward a bit, the feature is disabled entirely and the engine restarts and remains on. Putting the car in Park also causes the engine to restart. If the air con was of and it is turned on, the engine restarts. The engine doesn't remain off for long and restarts (even with your foot still on the brake) after a few minutes. This is understandable because the battery is being depleted with the accessories still running. The windows are all one-shot on the downward travel, but must be held in the up direction. My wife's Camry has one-shot on all windows in both directions. I am yet to understand why other manufacturers don't see this as viable. Who wants to sit there holding window buttons when there are things in the world to be done?!? That manumatic shift feature. I had to Google it to figure out how it worked. And as far as I am concerned it should be deleted entirely. A total waste of engineering, if you ask me. You have to move the shifter down into L range and then press the "+" or "-" button on top of the selector to get higher or lower gears, respectively. It would be better to have a gate to the left or right of the selector and allow the shifter itself to be toggled...preferably like Mazda correctly has it: pull back for upshifts, push forward for downshifts. The steering was nicely weighted and felt direct, but was a little too sensitive at centre. That made keeping straight in a lane, particularly with crosswinds, a bit tricky. The stereo. Why are the volume up and down controls hidden on the underside of the right hand spoke of the steering wheel?!? And there are two other buttons under the left spoke that I am yet to figure out. What I hate: The reverse lights come on when you exit the car...a stupid and dangerous feature that all GM cars unfortunately currently feature. It gives the impression that the car is backing up and cause a panic situation which may lead to an accident. STOP THIS FOOLISHNESS, GM! Otherwise, this is an amazing little car that deserves consideration.

engine failure!!!

r wagoner, 12/20/2017
Premier 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love this car but after 12000 miles developed no power engine light came on and went off took it to the dealer found no problem drove another 200 hundred miles developed severe engine miss dealer replaced pistons drove home developed an oil leak next day returned to the shop oil leak repaired never made it home stopped at a shopping center then it would not start, finally started took back to the dealer now driving rental car NOT SURE IF I WANT ANOTHER ONE

Worse Idea Ever

Ella, 04/10/2017
LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The "auto stop" feature on my new 2017 Cruze is the most annoying thing I have ever seen in a car. When trying to get out of the parking lot at work every afternoon, my car engine turns itself off and then back on 4 or 5 times every day depending on how many cars are ahead of me. Same thing happens in a turn lane or when driving behind a school bus in the morning. I've contacted Chevy and was told that there is no wat to by-pass or disable the auto stop so I am stuck with it. My last 5 cars have all been Chevys and I've been happy with them until now but this auto stop is so inconvenient that I will probably never buy another Chevy.

-90 Day Repair

Lifelyke, 03/11/2017
L 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Within 90 days my new 2017 Chevy Cruze stopped on me in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately two good Samaritans pushed the car from danger. The check engine light came on. Took the car in and they said nothing is wrong with the car. On-Star notification said critical engine and transmission repair. Chevy dealership says, "Well, just bring it back if it breaks down again. We cannot find anything wrong with it." Seriously!!!

Cruze be nimble, Cruz be Quick, Cruze has no stick

Mark Shirley, 08/24/2017
LT 4dr Hatchback (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car was made for today. It shines in the city, country, and the highway. The "Auto Stop" (car shuts off at stops to conserve gas), was a little disconcerting at first; however, when you see your city gas mileage, you don't mind. On those long lonesome country 60 MPH roads, you can get nearly 40 mile MPG. And, even with all this fuel economy, this car is quick and nibble at freeway speeds. After coming from the city, and taking it easy on a 50 mile trip to visit in-laws in the country, I got 38 miles to the the gallon (without AC on), on my way to their home. Coming home, we were running a little late, and in freeway city traffic, my Cruze was so nibble and quick darting around the clustered traffic at freeway speeds, it was almost incredible. My car has remote & push-button start, and I can unlock the doors by touching the handles. After getting to work and waiting in my Cruze to punch-in for my shift, I switch the car off and the radio and electric windows still operate, until I exit the vehicle, which is a great feature. I read one review where the person was bemoaning the "Auto Stop", while trying to pull into traffic quickly. I found if you anticipate a quick move coming, you merely have to be proactive and step on the accelerator a couple of seconds before going to take it out of the "Auto Stop" mode. This hasn't been an issue and I live in the City. With the RS package and the addition of my fog lights to the front grill, this car is a looker. Even though the Cruze Hatchback isn't rated quite as high as some of the other Hatchbacks, I beg to differ. This car is all things to most people and a great value. Did I say it corners like butter. This car is a sleeper. After 6 months, still really enjoying my Chevy Cruze Hatchback. I'll put my Cruze against any of the other Hatchbacks in appearance and luxuries. With my factory push button start, keyless entry, and remote start, really enjoying my car this winter. 10 mins. before punching out at my Michigan job, I use my remote start to deice my windows, warm the engine, and heat the seats. A little slice of heaven in a very unkind world. I also like the feature of being able to control the electrics on my car like the windows, wiper, and etc. for 10 minutes after stopping the engine. Even after 10 mins I can still listen to the radio until I go in to punch in. Because of the winters and remote start, gas mileage has really suffered, but a price I'm willing to pay to make my life so much easier during the harsh MI winter. The car is also quick with its little turbo charged engine. Deserves a look, if shopping for a car. And, one more thing, leg room in the back seat is great for a car of this size, particularly in comparison with almost every other hatchback. My Cruz has been a great addition to our family

12345...17