2017 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Colorado model:

Trans Shudder
By Rob

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

At least I got to 30k before mine started shuddering. Wish it would have been sooner so I’d actually get a decent value for a trade....first new Chevy experience not good

2017 Colorado z71
By Bill

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Third time my truck is in the shop for transmission shudder. This time to replace the torque converter. Just turned 5,600 miles. Dealership told me this most likely will not solve the problem as they have seen them returned. Yeah that makes you feel proud to own a Chevy Colorado, only thing going through my mind is to unload this truck the day it comes out of the shop. New truck that I actually loved and babied that to me now is GM trash. Dealership mentioned that maybe after the first of the year they may have a fix. Yeah ok in the mean time I guess it’s the customers choice to keep driving and shaking till more serious issues arise when the warranty expires it appears.

6sp automatics have been around too long for this
By Adam Beede- San Antonio TX

2017 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I drive a 2017 4cylinder 6 sp automatic. I test drove the Tacoma, should have waited for the Ford Ranger. Overall the size and performance of the truck is as expected, nothing stellar, but gets the job done. I've kept up my end of the maintenance deal, changing oil, rotating tires, doing the 10k, 15k and 20k schedule etc. 25k miles down the road the transmission started to shift harshly, while accelerating from 35mph to keep up with traffic. I noticed that if I eased the accelerator that it would accelerate more normally, check engine light never went on, no reports of issues; but, at 26k miles the check engine light came on and the truck wouldn't shift into 5th or 6th gear. I was going down a fairly steep hill in the Texas Hill country, I wasn't using the accelerator at all; but the truck would not shift into 5th or 6th, and the tack read 4,500 rpm. I threw the hazards on and limped to the dealership 2 miles away. They are now telling me that the transmission needs to be torn down and the input shaft needs to be replaced-- they hope. I've driven Hyundai Sonatas (2 of them) from 2009-2017, and I lost a total of 3 days down time due to maintenance issues. 8 years and 300k miles, 3 days. 15 months, 26k miles, and at least a week. The tech at the dealership in Kerrville TX (pop. 27k) that he hadn't seen this issue, but another tech at the shop had. There is no chatter online about it, from what I've read, but there are a lot of posts about problems with the 6cyl, 8sp configuration. I will never buy a Chevy again, if they can't get the workhorse small truck segment right, then what are they in business for?

Shaking
By Jerome

2017 Chevrolet Colorado Work Truck 4dr Crew Cab LB (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

We have 7 of these trucks in our fleet and 5 of them have been at the dealership for shaking st highway speeds. They even changed the drive shaft on one and rebuilt the rear end on another. The engine performance is very nice but the transmission will send you to the chiropractor. My neighbor has a 2016 Z71 and he cannot drive it on the highway because of the shaking. Chevy really needs to look at this problem, we will be looking at the new Ranger when released.

Not the best, disappointment in this truck.
By Jamie

2017 Chevrolet Colorado LT 4dr Extended Cab SB (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my Chevy Colorado brand new on April of 2017. It’s only been just over my first year and had it in the shop twice. First time a hose busted on passenger side front floor board was flooded from the damage. At that time had it for about 5 months and now for the past two months I have been having issues with the shifting of gears which I have an automatic. Also there is a fuddling in the gas peddle like it’s struggling to get the fuel or the timing on shifting is off. Have to set another appointment for truck to be looked at again. Not to thrilled to know that this vehicle was brand new and the price on these trucks are not cheep vehicles but to know that I have had this many issues in first year I am not that impressed with the overall performance. If I knew what I know now I would of never bought the Chevy Colorado. I also would have done more research.