Used 2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Captiva Sport model:

Beware of this car
By Karen Revis

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport 1LS Fleet 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought Chevrolet Captiva Sport 2012 in December. Needs piston job, parking brake issues, key stuck in ignition. GM has known about this problem, but will not make it right. My daughter put her life savings into down payment, now she has a car that she is unable to drive because it is dangerous. Will cut off with no warning, steering wheel locks. Save yourself some financial and emotional distress and pass on this garbage

Great
By Ron

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport LTZ Fleet 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Own car 6 years. No problem just regular service. Now have 71000 miles

Poor performing V-6
By Matt McGhee

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport LTZ Fleet 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

If you like the looks of this vehicle, look for a lower mileage Saturn Vue with the 3.6 engine. the 3.0 in this vehicle is an under performing, gas sucking DOG!!!! The transmission shifts way too much and it never seems to be in the correct gear. I like the comfort and small stature, but the performance is not worth it.

Stay Away From GM Vehicles!
By Cheryl Glazier

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport 1LS Fleet 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this used with about 42,000 miles. I traded my Jeep Liberty (LOVED that vehicle but it was time to go) and was so happy to find an SUV I could afford. The acceleration was always bothersome but my mechanic said everything was good...running it on ECO Boost helped a lot. The 22MPG average was not the best but whatever. I had my oil changed regularly...regular maintenance done always at the same place. He's been my mechanic for many years and I trust him. At 98,900 miles I went in for an oil change because I was going out of town the next weekend. I asked them to listen to it because I was hearing a ticking from the engine. When I picked it up my mechanic told me the heads had to be done! After barley 3000 miles...it had lost most of the oil! I asked if I could drive it awhile...he said yes but watch the oil...and don't go too far. 150 miles later it crapped out on me...in the car wash!!! I managed to limp it back to my mechanic and the timing chain had jumped and the whole engine needed to be replaced. Now that is bad enough...99,000 miles..really GM????? To add insult to injury...there are no 2.4L engines available for this car...in the United States! The replaced the crate engine (new...3 year 100,000 miles) for $2800 with a remanufactured engine that will cost me $5000...for just the engine!!!!! I am livid...the car's retail value is only about $8500. You fail GM...you fail BIG TIME!!! I am done with you and your crappy cars forever.

Beware of Transmission
By Fisty

2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport 1LT Fleet 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I loved my Chevrolet Captiva when I purchased it. It had everything I was looking for except the gas mileage, but because it was everything I had been looking for, I overlooked its gas mileage. Then at around 50,000 miles the alternator when out and I was over 100 miles away from home, with an elderly person as a passenger. Then on December 22, 2017, the transmission went out with less than 75000 miles on it. The warranty had only been out for about 7 weeks. Chevrolet is going to take care of $1712.00 leaving me with $3236.37 out of pocket. Unfortunately, this will be my last Chevrolet. I love them when they run, but if they breakdown it is almost like buying it again with loans for repairs, because the transmission cost around $4948.37.