Used 2012 Chevrolet Captiva Sport Consumer Reviews

$6,582

Used Captiva Sport for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

I Love my Captiva Sport

samiaminiowa, 12/27/2013
2LS Fleet 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I wasn't even looking for this car, but it fulfills all my needs, without too much technology. I can use E-85 gas in Iowa. It has Bluetooth and I am totally Captivated by it :-) Ask me again in a year.

Front Wheels want to Fly Off

Sally Chapman, 03/22/2016
1LS Fleet 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Front Wheel Bearings go out quickly !!! Left front bearing went out at 38,000 miles, again at 47,000 miles and we are now at 62,000 miles and waiting for it to go again. When talking to the dealer mechanic, he says this is a problem with this model. I have had cars with 300,000 miles and never replaced a wheel bearing. The transmission slips once in while, sometimes shifts up to high causing the engine to lug down and vibrate, or takes an excessive amount of time to shift causing engine to race. Engine idle is rough at times up and down from 200 to 500 RPMs. The rear window washer does not stop running when rear window defroster is used. Unless you shut everything off, it will empty the windshield washer tank of the solvent. Took it to the dealer and had some improvement but never resolved. My foot is so big that sometimes when I step on the brake pedal I depress the gas pedal at the same time, never had that problem with the many vehicles that I have had in the past. I can see this causing an accident for the elderly or even myself, if not careful about it. The comfort of this vehicle is poor when traveling more than an hour. I would never buy this model again !!!

Stay Away From GM Vehicles!

Cheryl Glazier, 04/16/2018
1LS Fleet 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this used with about 42,000 miles. I traded my Jeep Liberty (LOVED that vehicle but it was time to go) and was so happy to find an SUV I could afford. The acceleration was always bothersome but my mechanic said everything was good...running it on ECO Boost helped a lot. The 22MPG average was not the best but whatever. I had my oil changed regularly...regular maintenance done always at the same place. He's been my mechanic for many years and I trust him. At 98,900 miles I went in for an oil change because I was going out of town the next weekend. I asked them to listen to it because I was hearing a ticking from the engine. When I picked it up my mechanic told me the heads had to be done! After barley 3000 miles...it had lost most of the oil! I asked if I could drive it awhile...he said yes but watch the oil...and don't go too far. 150 miles later it crapped out on me...in the car wash!!! I managed to limp it back to my mechanic and the timing chain had jumped and the whole engine needed to be replaced. Now that is bad enough...99,000 miles..really GM????? To add insult to injury...there are no 2.4L engines available for this car...in the United States! The replaced the crate engine (new...3 year 100,000 miles) for $2800 with a remanufactured engine that will cost me $5000...for just the engine!!!!! I am livid...the car's retail value is only about $8500. You fail GM...you fail BIG TIME!!! I am done with you and your crappy cars forever.

Excellent used car value

Rob Shelton, 02/16/2016
LTZ Fleet 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We needed a 4wd or awd because we live in a Colorado mountain town. We wanted a Rav4, CRV or similar which everyone here wants. We had never heard of the Captiva but we preferred it after test driving Rav4s, CRVs and other similar small SUVs. Plus it sells for a lot less than similar suvs because, apparently, it was originally sold only as a fleet car. It is comfortable and drives and handles the best of everything we tested. It is a very solid feeling car and is heavier than similar suvs. This fact, and the V6 engine are probably why it does not get the highest mileage in its class, the only negative I can say about it. We saved so much on the purchase compared to similar suvs that we are ok spending somewhat more on gas. Overall great car to own.

Do Not Buy This Car!

Pat Neal, 11/15/2015
LTZ Fleet 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We had this car for two years. First year, the alternator went out. Then the USB port shorted out and we had the dealer unhook it rather than replace it. Then, when you turned on the turn signal, the radio stopped for a few second sand the cruise control quit. Then it progressed to the radio cutting out when yoy put on the breaks. Of course, it did not do it when the dealer looked at it. Finally, the mechanic replaced the BCM, at a charge of $500,00,and said he didn't know if that would fix the problem. We left on vacation the next week. It started doing the same thing. In New Hampshire, we took it again to a Chevy dealer, who put it on the computer and said rhat the BCM was fried. He said that he suspected the wiring harness was bad and he could replace or start running codes and it might take a week to find the problem. Either one would cost several thousand dollars. We thought we would just drive it home but the engine started cutting out when driving. c At that point, we said to heck with it and traded it in, taking a loss since it was no where near paid for. But we wanted no part of that lemon any more. I have read many reviews since then and many people have had the same problem.