2019 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2019 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Drives like a sports car, but benefits of SUV
By Louis

2019 BMW X3 M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Traded my 2018 Audi S4 in for this a few weeks ago. I needed more space, higher clearance (I live in DC and roads are awful), and a relatively smaller SUV for city. At the same time, I did not want to sacrifice performance. And the M40i certainly delivers all of that! It is an incredible mix of fun and practicality.

You get what you pay for - thankfully!
By Pete from North East Kansas

2019 BMW X3 M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

This is a very expensive vehicle, but it appears to be alone in its class. Quality of finish, materials, thoughtfulness of design, sheer performance, and great handling all complement the stylish exterior. While test driving a bunch of SUVs and wagons, decided to try BMW in the hopes of being treated better than we were a decade ago. Drove to Topeka Kansas dealership, after a brief email exchange, they had pre-staged three cars, an X3 M40i, an X3 xdrive 4 cylinder and a VW Golf R. We started in the 40i, and only test drove the others out of a sense of duty! Manager suggested we take a break for lunch, take any one of the cars with us, and come back when we were ready. WOW -- they obviously believe their car sells itself, and they are right. We bought the car we test drove - equipped almost like we had special ordered it. Unbelievable acceleration, very good handling for a 2 ton SUV, wonderful interior appointment and finish, more knobs and buttons than we know what to do with. In fact, BMW offers an Encore - bring your new BMW back to the dealership and they assign a BMW associate to go over all of the features of the car, at a time of your convenience. Our encore took nearly 3 hours, and included a tour of the service area, the parts desk, and answering all of our questions about the x3. Stumped our encore associate, and BMWUSA who she rang up on her tablet, only when we asked how to repeat play a music track - they could not figure that one out! Fabulous, but expensive, vehicle, great customer service - highly recommend this car, and Topeka BMW-VW.

BMW revives the Ultimate Driving Machine
By Brad J Shoptaw

2019 BMW X3 M40i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I've owned several recent BMWs -- '08 335xi, '11 M3, '12 328xi, '15 428xi convertible. I've seen first-hand the transition that BMW has made away from the core principles that brought them success -- steering feel, responsive engines, and quality materials -- in an attempt to modernize and gain more market share. I'm very happy to say that the '19 BMW X3 m40i returns to its roots with a truly thrilling automobile. The steering feel is heavier, and more responsive than any BMW in the last 10 years, and it doesn't feel over-boosted or fake. The engine is amazingly quick and versatile (0-60 in just 4.6 secs), changing on the fly with a flick of the driving experience switch from Eco Pro, to Comfort, to Sport, and then Sport Plus. The exhaust note (along with great crackles and pops) is awesome in Sport/Sport Plus modes, but can be dialed back to "civil" in Comfort or Eco Pro. But after 5 minutes of feeling like you're driving an M3/M4, you remember, "wait, this is an SUV -- and I can pick up the kids from a soccer match, or grab tons of supplies from Home Depot without a problem." The versatility is fantastic. The Vernasca leather interior with contrasting stitching is top-notch, and even the dashboard is stitched to make the interior look and feel much more expensive. The Driver-Assistance packages are a must-have in today's world of distracted drivers. The full "Dynamic Digital Instrument Cluster" included in the Executive Package is gorgeous, and BMW's implementation is much more refined than Audi's Virtual Cockpit, IMO. The gesture controls and simulated 360 degree camera views border on gimmicks, but they are fun to show others and do come in handy at times. All in all, BMW has exceeded expectations with the X3 m40i, and I now consider this the best BMW that I've ever owned -- it's pretty much all of the things that you'd want in a sports car wrapped into an SUV. What a win!

Wish it wasn’t just a loaner
By Susan Guthrie

2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I took my 2016 X3 in for service and was given the 2019 model for a loaner. I ended up driving it for a week. The exterior design is beautiful! The steering is less stiff than my 2016, which was nice. Accelerated smoothly virtually every time. The radio controls and climate controls have been swapped. This model did not have the heads up display, which I surprisingly missed. I didn’t realize how much I used it. The controls seemed a little jumbled on the display, but I’m sure I would get used to them in time. It also got better gas mileage than mine. All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this vehicle. It drove like a dream!

Finally got my defect 2019 X3
By KK

2019 BMW X3 sDrive30i 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After comparing with GLC and Q5, we decided to purchase the 2019 BMW X3 sdrive30i this Summer. Among all the local inventories near the CA bay area, we cannot find one we like. For example, none of them has the option of rear manual side window shades. Thus, we ordered a custom one with the executive package in 8/04. We plan to give up during the long waiting process as we know the Tesla model 3 only takes four weeks to deliver. I watched many review videos of X3, GLC, Q5, and XC60, we still think our custom ordered X3 is the best in terms of technology, interior, and handling.

[10/5] After 7 weeks, we finally got our new BMW X3 (only 3 miles) in 9/22. After I drive a few miles out of the dealership, the system shows TPM malfunction. I have to contact the dealer and scheduled the service last Friday (9/28). They notified me that my car is fixed and ready to pick up this Tuesday. Unfortunately, the TPM malfunction shows again this Wednesday. I have to return the car to the service center again. I thought the TPM malfunction should be easy to fix, but they still do not know how to fix the problem. What they did is just a simple reset. But, they even did not fully reset as the progress bar will always be stuck with no tire pressure results. They just simply thought the TPM malfunction message is gone! I messaged the service center, they told me that they already send the diagnostic message to BMW North America, but they have not got any reply and I have to wait until next week. I was trying to call BMW hotline and customer relations 10/5 around 4 PM PST. No one answers the call. From 8/4 to now, I still cannot drive my new X3 with my family at the weekend after 9 weeks. This is really a frustrating experience. It is also very hard for me to send and pick the car over 50 miles away to the dealer during work days. I really doubt how BMW conduct the quality check. I will ask my friends to stay away from BMW if they really need a premium experience.

[10/10 update] I finally got my X3 back from the service center. Hopefully, the TPM malfunction would not show again. What I really impressed is my sales. He helped me throughout the process and pushed their service department. He even arranges someone to drive this car back to me. In comparison, I called the BMW customer relations Monday morning and I do not think they really care about the experience of the customer. One guy simply called back Tuesday morning at 8 AM PST. I missed the call, but I did call back and leave a voice message. Unfortunately, I did not got any reply.

Although I have some frustrating experience with BMW, I do like the new BMW X3. I have the chance to drive the 2018 BMW X1 and 2018 BMW 330i as the loaner car. The high-quality feel of BMW X3 is way better than X1 and 330i. Even the key of the BMW X3 is much better than X1 (looks the same but the weight is different) and 330i. I think the handling, noise, road quality, interior quality, technology and features of X3 is much better than other vehicles in the similar price range.