Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Love it
By Elizabeth

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Love everything but the following issues: Clutch replaced three times, at under 1000 miles, then new clutch replaced no miles done then third at 40,000 miles. Not good and no support from anyone. Dealer tried to blame me when the new clutch they put in did not make it an inch out the door. The cup holder are crappy and the LED's on the dash burn out.Otherwise car is my dream car. It is a comfortable sedan and a fast great handling sporty car at once.

I have the best old car in the world..
By lillianbraudy@gmail.com

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 530 I with the sorts model BMW. I am now in my 80's and adore the turning radius; the beautiful inside; but hate there is no place to put water or coffee. I get awful mileage. All city driving unfortunately due to my age; but this car is the best in the world. Have had Fiats, Volvo, Made, Peugeot chevys of all kinds and other than my 1964 chef convertible this is the best; if you ca find one, buy it... it is a wonderful machine. Mileage is awful; but so what?? I love this car.

Classic manual E39. One of the last true cars.
By MB

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only buy this if you can get a manual. If you can't drive a manual you might as well just get a Hyundai anyways.
The inline six is one of the best engines ever made anywhere, ever. Strong torque, good progression, bulletproof. Nicely matched 5 speed and sports suspension. This is the car that set the tone for a whole generation of sport sedans--none ever came close to matching its performance, comfort, safety and reliability. Still one of the highest rated BMW's ever made. A classic. Highly recommend it if you can find one.

Like this car a lot, saloon model?
By Ted Komorowski

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has 187K + on it and I have had no problems thus far. Got it used and have been replacing all the maintenance parts, all filters, oil, water, brake fluid, power steering ATF, and the interior parts like the cup holders, wood trim, all windscreen trim, floor mats. I may even replace differential fluid. Getting the required diagnostic tools for the eventual problems. The car uses no oil, (use 5W-40 full syn) or has any oil leaks, or leaks period, and still gets 26 mpg in town and 31+ hwy (91 Oct). I will work on the door dings and one minor dent (dine size) and paint chips last. So far I love this car which is a world above what I was driving. For the vale, I spent the same on the U.S. car I was driving as the BMW, but now I have the BMW! At 5K this is the only way I could get into the lux car market and I turns out I got the best!!! I have had the car three months, (4000 mi) but what months. So I must be fair. But what start!!! Remember with concentrated coolant use distilled water!!

Reliable
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Power, Handling, build quality, RELIABLE

Im sure all the problems have been resolved in the newer models...