Used 2016 BMW 2 Series Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 BMW 2 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 2 Series model:

Like a Rocket!
By Patty

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Love my car as much today as the day I picked it up! Rocket handles beautifully and I always feel very safe in this car. BMW really provides good customer experience that doesn't end when you first leave the lot with your new car. I unfortunately don't drive alot but when I do, its always fun. I have garaged and protected this car, its still in new condition.

Very Good Car, But 135 is Better
By socalh2oskier

2016 BMW 2 Series M235i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I leased a 2013 135i convertible with M Sport for three years. It is a great car. It was zippy and fun to drive. It was comfortable. I should have kept it, but at the end of the lease, the residual was much higher than the current market price, so I turned it in and purchased an M235i convertible, figuring it would be an "upgrade" to the 135. BIG MISTAKE. Although the M235i is a nice car, it is not near as much fun as the 135. The main reason for this is the electric steering. The electric steering on the M235i is simply numb. Also, even though the M235i is only 3 inches longer and one inch wider than the 135, it drives like a much bigger car--more akin to a 3 series. It lacks that zippy feel that you get with the 135.

As a whole, the M235 is a nice car. It has a nicer interior, it feels more roomy inside, it has a much improved navigation system, and it has a backup camera. The seats are comfortable, but the seats in the 135 are better. The M235i comes standard with non-runflat tires, which is a huge improvement (first thing I did when I got my 135 was switch out the run-flats for non-run-flats). The M235 has adjustable dampers, which I almost never use, but some might see this as a benefit. Gas mileage is significantly better on the highway--30-31 vs about 25 with the 135, but gas mileage in town is pretty bad--I average around 12-14 in city driving.

The M235 is a decent car, but I miss the much better steering and feel from the 135. The 135 drives like a much smaller car than the M235i, and is more likely to plaster a permanent grin on your face. I also think the 135 convertible looks better with the top down--it has cleaner and simpler lines and the wheels look much better than the dark gray wheels on the M235i--but this is a matter of personal taste, and I understand that some might prefer the newer look.

Overall, the "improvements" to this model do not make up for the incredibly numb and lackluster steering. If you're considering the M235i, you might pause and look for a good used 135 instead. I wish I would have kept mine.

A CONVERTIBLE WITH A TOP THAT RIPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Ripped

2016 BMW 2 Series 228i SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

It "Is" a convertible with a top that rips for $40,000! Hey BMW can I have my money back? My fourth bavarian money waster----never, ever again! Edmunds you need to rethink your rating of this vehicle! I thought you were a reliable source of information until now. Some owners are on second or third headliners and tops because of tensioning strap problems!

Oh so much fun!!!
By John V.

2016 BMW 2 Series 228i xDrive SULEV 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This car is the funnest toy I have ever had! Incredibly fast, AWD holds the road in any weather, comfort and layout feel like a cockpit, and fuel economy is surprisingly high. It draws compliments from people who talk to me about its appearance. Back seats are serviceable and trunk adequate, but the car is best for two adults who have no kids and infrequent needs to carry passengers. Cannot wait to drive it each day. No complaints..."The Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline fits perfectly.

Great car
By Ben

2016 BMW 2 Series 228i SULEV 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Immensely fun to drive, relatively practical and (so far) reliable. Still... if you have children think twice before buying. Also, the price is a bit too high to qualify this vehicle as a "good value," per se. Here's hoping maintenance costs don't rise exponentially in the future...