2000 Volvo S80 Consumer Review: My Volvo's affair with my mech

2000 Volvo S80 - Consumer Review

2.9 Sedan (2.9L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic)

My Volvo's affair with my mechanic
By Vicki Laidlaw on

2000 Volvo S80 2.9 4dr Sedan

After putting more than 275000 miles on my '92 Pontiac Bonneville (with no need for engine work - just liked to have brakes and tires), I decided it was time to retire the old workhorse and buy a little luxury. I bought my Volvo S80 at a used car dealership, where I noticed that the warning light for the airbag was on. The dealer said the Volvo mechanics could reset that sensor - apparently not! Turns out that Volvo put the airbag SENSOR under the driver's seat carpet. The used car dealer STEAMED that carpet, thus ruining a $1000 sensor. My car's now in the shop for the second time in three months. Volvo engineers ought to be taken out and shot for what they've done to this car!

Driving comfort and excellent range - I usually get over 500 miles per fill up. I commute 90 miles each day, so I appreciate that.

Reliable electronics, affordable service. If Volvo is going to build expensive cars that break THIS often, they should give the owners a break. The Volvo mechanics cringe when a 2000 S80 shows up - it's a lemon!