Used 2010 Volvo S40 2.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

2nd Volvo S40
By R Johnson

2010 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

The 1.9% fin, maint covered for 5yrs/60K miles pursuaded me to buy 2nd S40 (prior being '06). Ownership experience has exceeded every reasonable expectation. With few exceptions (AC compressor), maint expense has been more than reasonable, considerably less than had I settled on another luxury make (considered BMW, Lexus). Seating is very comfortable, interior asthetically clean and simple, dash/instrumentation very intuitive. Subtle changes from my prior S40 is improved center console, USB/AUX/iPOD interface, Bluetooth, Satelite/HD radio, Auto- Climate control, BLIS. performance/handling is tight and responsive, though not as that as the '06 (which had sport-tuned suspension)

Favorite Features

Power moonroof, T-Tec seating/upholstery, waterfall console, feel/handling of the drive, Geartronic transmission

Suggested Improvements

While the Geartronic transmission is sweet, I do miss manual at times (as was my '06). Had the combination of the Turbo engine AND manual transmission been available (like it is for the C30), I may have considered it

My second Volvo
By Dave T

2010 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

My first Volvo was a very used, "beater" 1966 122S, reliable as an anvil, quirks and all. A few months back, after a lot of research, I purchased a 2010 S40 2.4i. After being severely injured in an auto accident I wanted a safe, practical, small car with good handling characteristics and decent performance. I drove a C30, then an S40 and decide that the S40 was for me. Besides daily driving I have logged 1200 miles on a road trip to Connecticut from Ohio and back putting in two 550 mile days in comfort.

Favorite Features

Feeling of a direct connection between the steering wheel and the front tires/road. Auto trans shifts unobtrusively. Standard stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Rough ride on bad roads

My Second Volvo S40 2010
By Larry

2010 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my second Volvo S40 and loving everything about it. The style, fit and finish of this car is very nice. It is a very solid well built car with every bit of safety in it. I just traded in my prius because I wanted more comfort and safety. I would rather pay more for gas and feel safe with my family in the car.

Favorite Features

My favorite things are the seats and the standard high performance audio. The only thing I hear in this car is the little bit of road noise witch isnít bad at all. There are so many standard features in this car that the price isnít bad and it has 5 years of service included.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would bring to the States their green car of the year witch is the turbo diesel four cylinder.

Well Built Car
By Larry

2010 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is the third S40 in the family, my second. This is the best money can buy at this time due to the 5 year warranty plan and discounts being taking off. After driving a prius for the last three years I really have missed my S40, such a solid well made car. Don't get me wrong, the only thing I'll miss about the prius will be the mileage. You can't put a price on your safety and comfort so I am willing to pay the extra for that. I now feel so much more relaxed when driving, I love my Volvo S40. The safety car crash star rating sold me back into my S40. My partner has had his now for five years and loves his as well, no major unexpected issues. For what I paid you get a lot.

Favorite Features

The seats, solid feel. Radio is top notch and sun roof is awesome. Don't let China's finance scare you, they will be putting a lot of money into the company and let Volvo do what they do best and that is built very good cars.For those in North America Volvo cars will still be made in Sweden.

Suggested Improvements

Four cylinder turbo 2.0T

My New Volvo
By Lynette

2010 Volvo S40 2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car is great! It handles the lumps and bumps of New Jersey's winter worn roads with ease. I love the great pick-up and the nimble way it handles! The clutch shifts smoothly and is extremely easy to. The instrument panel is simple to use as it is very logically designed. I am really enjoying this car and am so glad I made the choice to purchase it.