Rabbit high cost maintenance
By Jeff on
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
I bought this car after owning a Subaru Forester for 4 years. I decided that I no longer needed all wheel drive and wanted something a bit smaller and economical to own/drive. I take the car in for routine maintenance as required. I was a bit disappointed when at my last service of 19,400 miles I was told I needed new rear brakes. This is before fronts. VW tells me this is common to use rears that fast. Cost to replace $465 at dealer (did not have it done there, instead opted for local repair garage). If you had to do this every 19,000 miles it does not make this care economical to drive. I am told all VW's go through brakes that fast.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive, good power.
Suggested Improvements
Longer lasting brake pads. I usually go through 2 sets of front pads to one set of rear on every other car I have owned. This makes the car very expensive to own.
By jdjtampa
on 01/09/11 11:01 AM (PST)

I've owned two Scirroccos (80's) and three Jettas. None required a break job before 50k miles and I make driving reasonably fun. You should find a new VW dealership because this one is full of it.

By amdsupport
on 05/23/11 20:11 PM (PDT)

I know this is an old post I am responding to, but hey... for whatever reason, VW biased the brake effort to the rear on the 06-09 rabbits (do a quick search and you will see). I've already been through a set of rear brakes for my rabbit (2008 bought new in 2007). I only know of a couple other cars that are factory like this.