2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: I'm sold on the Beetle

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

I'm sold on the Beetle
By Ellen on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Beetle has been an unbeatable vehicle for me. As a college student, I needed something reliable and relatively inexpensive. The Beetle requires little maintenance and is fuel efficient. It even has enough space to move ALL my belongings between dorms/apartments, even running well hauling a UHaul across the country to move me to my first job after graduation. My Beetle now takes me around the city during the week and into the mountains with my bike on the weekends. I can't imagine driving any other vehicle.

Besides the flower vase? Well, I like that you can roll the windows down with the key! The front seats fall forward so that access to the back seats isn't too difficult, and the back seats fold down almost completely flat so you can haul even really big items. I love the cold weather package too!

Engine/road noise is a little annoying, but I know that the newer models have improved upon that. I would also like to have more small storage areas where items won't shift around.