Good car overall
By Driver Wanted? on
1998 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan
My Jetta has been very reliable and a good daily driver since I bought it. The car has decent power once revved up. Engine space is large and easy to work in (ie oil changes, filters, fluids, etc.). The gearbox on my 5spd is somwehat stiff, moreso than other VWs I've driven. Seats are comfortable around town, but less so on long drives. The passenger seat sits too high (I'm 6'2" and my head hits the ceiling unless I slump down). Ergonomics are excellent inside. The tiny cupholders and lack of a center armrest are a bummer (but have changed with the newer Jetta).
Favorite Features
Standard cruise control, AC, stero. Good braking and decent acceleration. Gas mileage could be better for a 115hp car (26city/31hwy). Cute looking car, I still get compliments on it.
Suggested Improvements
Parts are incredibly expensive. I had to replace an electronic airbag part that only the dealer could do which cost $550! Ouch! I'm not sure I'll buy another Jetta for this reason alone. 5spd transmission is too stiff (compared to a Honda this thing shifts like a full-size truck).