Used 1995 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

1995 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Keeps on trucking... yea ya!
By Eric

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This was my first truck I have purchased on my own, when I was 18. Great truck!! It now has 270,000 miles and keeps on going. Things I had to replace or repair: U joint in drive shaft (80,000 miles & 120,000 mi), Powersteering pump (100,000 mi), starter (120,000 mi) and that's all that comes to mind. Right now, I do have a an oil leak, need to replace spark plugs more frequently since there is an oil leak there too but the truck keeps running fine and it passed smog (CA is a big deal). The car, in my opinion is very reliable. Toyota trucks, compact size, are great cars!

Favorite Features

The speed when first purchased car.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better gas mileage.

Holy Smokes, Do I Love This Truck!
By BCdogs14

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab SB

Easily the greatest vehicle I've ever driven. I've never had to fix anything that wasn't a perishable commodity. Brake pads only once, spark plugs once. Not bad for a 13 year old truck. Even took her cross country CA to NC... she kicked that out like it was driving to the store. Gas mileage is awesome for a truck. A story: Wife was buying her Yaris, and the salesman asks me what I'm driving, like to sell me one too, I tell him "that 1995 Tacoma right there". His smile drooped and he he walked away. I am convinced this truck will outlive me. I get offers on it from strangers almost once a week... and no soap. I love this truck!!!

Favorite Features

Everything. I take her out on the back roads in eastern NC all the time to get to fishing holes. The rednecks here bag on me for not having 4wd, but then they see me go off road, and it shuts them up. Even the interior fabric cleans up easily!!

Suggested Improvements

Someone mentioned the cup holder, and I agree. Kind of a not so stable place to put it. Same for the paint chips on the hood. But for the ONLY complaint to be the cup holder and paint? Toyota did SOMETHING right!!!

Tacoma rules
By RG

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

After 13yrs on the road my toy still have the same mileage of 350 +/- on the road in city about 300. keep adding fuel cleaners 3 times a yr from stp, to more expense fuel cleaners at lease ones a yr, change oil every 3-4 mths. No Major problems. Once a yr a false reading of valve stuck comes on ( just reset battery ) warm the car before you drive, and no shifting errors by the driver that will trigger computer errors.

Favorite Features

The level of noise inside is very low.

Suggested Improvements

Need more fancy, electronics, remove the old knobs, they are old, classic. Don't like too much classic.

1995 Tacoma 4WD Xtra Cab V6
By Bobs95

1995 Toyota Tacoma V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have 135K on this truck and its still going very strong. I have cheated - I have always used Amsoil pure synthetic lubes, oil and air filters, so low wear is to be expected. But the fact that I've had very few other components fail is testimony to a quality design and the famous Toyota reliability. I've been 4-wheeling and camping and it goes everywhere I need it to. Recently I bought a 4000 pound travel trailer and will likely step up to the V8 Tundra since this trailer is close to the limit of this Tacoma's towing capacity (5000 lbs). But it does tow economically - we just got back from a camping trip up into the high Sierras (6500 feet) and got 15 MPG on the trip towing the trailer.

Favorite Features

Very reliable - I HATE poorly designed vehicles that always have to be babied! This one always runs, always gets you home. Even if you never go 4-wheeling, that's a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is too high and spills drinks on the dash when traversing rough country or roads.

Family Heirloom
By Bobby Joe

1995 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my truck! I bought it new when my son was 3 years old, he will get his drivers license in 2 months and will become the new proud owner. Everything is still in good condition with this truck, it's a little scratched but no engine work whatsoever. I had some brake problems years ago, that is the extent of it's repair history. Very reliable, highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Comfortable bucket seats in front, good acceleration, decent gas mileage