2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:
Great, but has had its share of problems
By aposak on 05/28/13 08:08 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife has had this car since we met. It's her daily driver, as well as our trip vehicle. Overall, it handles very well. The engine is powerful, much more so than my 2003 Nissan Altima (with the same size V6). It handles confidently, and the brakes are string. The few times we've used 4wd in the snow and offorad trails, it worked well. The interior quality is okay, with a few minor issues. The powertrain reliability, however, simply hasn't been there. Since I've been around the car, it rattles loudly on startup. The 4x4 lights randomly light up, indicating a problem, but non found. Recently, the VVT module exploded, causing extensive engine damage. Caveat emptor.

Safest Car I've Ever Seen
By whisper292 on 04/14/13 08:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Overall performance was great, but the car really pulled its weight during a recent accident. My 17-year-old flipped the car three times going about 70 mph and landed on the driver's side in a ditch. The car was totaled, but thanks to seatbelts and side airbags, she walked away with barely a scratch. I would recommend this car to anyone.

impressed
By chandwerk on 04/11/13 21:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have loved driving my 2006 Rav 4 from the day I drove it off the lot! I t has amazing pick up and power..reliability has exceeded my expectations. The dealership played the most important part--outstanding experience in customer service and repair! Thank you Mountain States Toyota In Denver Colorado!

Problematic 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited
By squarebomb on 10/24/12 12:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We were so excited to hear that Toyota was building a V6 RAV4. After owning a 1999 RAV4 L for many years, we were ready for a bigger and more powerful RAV4. But because we couldn't get a good trade-in value for our 1999 RAV4, we decided to keep it. That was probably the best thing we ever did. While this RAV4 with the V6 engine si fun to drive, owning it is not fun at all. From whining sound coming from the fuel pump, to grumbling sound caused by the AWD's ECU, to prematurely failed wheel bearings, to knocking steering wheel column, to rusted through "Stainless steel" muffler, to failing ignition coils, and leaking oil lines that almost bursted. Now we have to replace the water pump. Sigh

120K miles and still purring like a kitten
By cinderella123 on 10/16/12 06:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I'm the 3rd owner of my '06 4cyl 4WD, base model RAV, which had a 110K miles on her when purchased from a private seller. She was well cared for by her previous owners, with the replacement of the rear window wiper motor as the biggest issue. Since owning her, I've maintained her well and she purrs like a kitten & runs like a race horse. I've read a lot of negatives reviews here, but neither I nor the previous owners (judging from car reports and Toyota service records) have encountered any of it. I couldn't be happier with the continued solid & reliable performance of my Made in Japan RAV4, and look forward to years with her. It's all in the personal care and maintenance you give them.

Toyota RAV4 from hell
By pabach on 08/20/12 11:22 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The car has ample power and plenty of space inside. That's the short list of pluses. On the negative side, the car has been a godsend to the Toyota Manassas shop where we purchased the it. Over 76,000 miles we've had to replace all six cylinder ignition coils, the water pump and, just last week, the transmission, a $4,200 repair (luckily covered by our Geico insurance). Then, as we were driving the car away from the shop, we hear a grinding noise on mild turns, a $600 repair to change one of the wheel bearings. Toyota's were supposed to be reliable. Ours was not. Only a Russian Jeep Niva I used to own in the 90s was worse (don't ask). But at least that car was cheap to fix.

T-SB-0094-11 Engine Oil Consumption Engine Problems Engine Noise
By curramba on 04/29/12 05:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Our Vehicle: RAV4 4-Cyl Limited (As in Limited Quality) Our Dealership: Colonial Toyota of Lincoln RI. This is my wife's daily driver. After 50k miles, the vehicle has the following problem: Technical Service Bulletin (TSP) T-SB-0094-11. About a month ago the engine light came on, after running an oil consumption test on our vehicle, the service manager said that it “only” burned 1 quart of engine oil in 1000 miles, which they said was within specifications. This I do not buy given my 2003 Honda Accord LX with 165,000 miles, had never had engine oil consumption issues. The engine output power seems to be in declined. The engine noise within the cabin is worst than my Accord!

VERY GOOD VALUE
By kenbowls on 02/21/12 12:04 PM (PST)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have 2.4 l 4 cylinder and very little problems, Radio replaced in 1st year, tires at 30,000 miles, but otherwise, have 42,000 miles on it and love it, Hauls a lot with back seats folded down, 8 chairs, furniture business and a handy hauler for small loads.

Never again will I buy a RAV4
By mommao on 08/15/11 12:59 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Toyota because of the reputation of reliability. This was my first brand new car, I took care of it especially because I wanted to hand it down to my daughter (just like the commercial right?). Unfotunately, I'm not even done paying it off and it needs a new engine. Soon after I bought it I realized I had made a mistake, but it was little things that bothered me, I felt I didn't get much for the price I paid, and it wasn't all that great on gas. Now with the engine going, I am extremely unhappy with my purchase and most likely will never buy another Toyota.

It will get you to where you need to go but not much else
By cato1998 on 03/21/11 22:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota RAV4 SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my RAV 4 for 5 years now and it's the 3rd Toyota I've owned ('91 celica and '00 celica being the others). All my toyotas have been really great on quality. I bought this RAV 4 because of it being more practical than my 2000 toyota celica I traded it in for. The RAV 4 can get me through the midwestern snow storms without much problems (big problem with my celica). It gets great gas milage for a SUV but the RAV 4 is pretty vanilla. Not really exciting to drive. It will get me to where I need to go but that's about it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.