2011 Toyota Prius Three Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Prius - Consumer Reviews

2011 Prius Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:

Sort Reviews by

Seriously poor interior - rattling gets much worse in winter - Overall "OK"
By vvasireddy9

2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Title explains mostly..

Favorite Features

MPG Efficient Braking Roomy Exterior Style

Suggested Improvements

Rattling sounds from interior plastics Smoother ride speed sensing volume

Awful road noise makes otherwise good car unbearable
By gregarious988

Yes, claims of 50+ mpg are true. In summer in Wisconsin I find myself getting 49 to 54mpg with each fill up without trying. The car is also functionally practical and the rear hatch is nice. All of this is countered by the fact that this car does seemingly nothing to insulate/dampen road noise. Quite literally, you will hear your tires going over ever pebble composing the blacktop pavement underneath you. In the 1998 Civic I used to drive, road noise was very noticeable above 55 mph. In the Prius, it is noticeable quite literally at 15mph and above. Trips of 1 hour or more at 55mph+ on anything but a freshly paved blacktop road will leave you feeling partially deaf.

Favorite Features

Hatchback design, fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Additional sound insulation. I am now left deciding whether to shoulder the expense to have this done myself or whether to trade for a quieter car. This vehicle quite literally demands earplugs when driving at highway speeds in its present condition. This is with relatively new tires. The high design of the front center console also seems to waste a ton of space and cut down on legroom.

worth every penny
By chetmet

We purchased a Prius C back in 2013 and was VERY surprised. It tells you how many MPG you are getting and how much you spent... when you fill up it will ask you how much you paid per gallon and all you do is punch it in. I tested the accuracy after the end of the day and much to my surprise it was dead on or less. We get 55 to 67 MPG unless it is raining, windy or you drive too fast then it 45-47 MPG but I don't need to drive 70 MPH Because of how happy I was with the Prius C I went out and purchased a Prius III and it is sweet! Much bigger lots of room, leather, fully loaded, 8 speaker sound system, etc. but I only get 50-55 MPG. It is very quiet in the city and highway. No regrets

Favorite Features

I love the keyless feature, the heated seats, sound system, leather, multiple plug ins for phone and tablet-laptop.

Suggested Improvements

More battery time for short distances

Not Without Compromises
By wcascrs

I like the car because it's very easy to use with its Smart Key entry and Push Button Start. I also like the way the hybrid system works and sure don't mind the 50 MPG combined. But power and handling are lacking and it lets road noise right on in. Climbing steep hills around here gets the gas engine pretty worked up, and it lets you know it too, right into the cabin with the road nose. It has a torsion beam rear suspension and goes around corners ok, but it has a fair amount of body roll doing so and gets a little unsettled over bumps. it seat four really well, five adults not so much.

Favorite Features

Push button start Smart Key system Hybrid Synergy Drive Has compact spare tire hatchback very useful when needed Seats 4 well Good cargo room Of course the 50 MPG

Suggested Improvements

Quell the road noise! More power, especially when needed for hills! Independent rear suspension please Make less body roll in turns Interior sort of bland with hard plastics Move the speedo and info in front of the driver, not 7 inches to the right!! Improve the driving position and provide greater range of steering wheel adjustability Make door armrests higher and pad the armrests! Can we get a sleeker look outside? Definitely lose the floating bridge console so I don't have to strain to reach underneath it

Awesome car, if you like rattles
By waterweb1

I love my Prius for many reasons, The back seat has a ton of room, I get between 40 -46 MPG depdning on weather and it is a really fun car to drive in. I call it my "space ship car". The downside is the rattles! I know it is not a luxury car but i think that Toyota can do a much better job preventing these rattles. I am not sure I would have bought this car if I had known about this issue. It does NOT get 48 mpg either. It gets about 40 in wet and up to 46 in dry weather. That is city/mixed driving in rush hour traffic. I think the dash board lay out can use some improvement as well. After driving for a couple of years, I still find myself searching for buttons

Favorite Features

The interior space, comfortable seats for the most part, and great handling and gas milage.

Suggested Improvements

The rattles! And the breaks are not consistant when you try to break. You get used to it but it's really unnerving when you try to stop and the breaks are either lighter or rougher than expected. Still happening after 2 years of ownership so I am use to it now.

From Zoom Zoom to Sip Sip...
By moondog12

I traded in a 2009 Mazda 6, that I loved, for a 2011 Prius III. It darn near broke my heart to do so, but I did it because of my 70 mile + daily commute into the DC Area. I had a friend with a 2010 Prius and she couldn't recommend it enough, so I finally gave in and started calling dealerships once gas prices hit $3.50 a gallon. I got my Prius as an end of year special and I must say, I'm impressed. While it certainly doens't Zoom Zoom like my last car, it has umph in Power Mode! Don't let the ho-hum of the hybrid nature fool you. These cars *can* be zippy. If you're on the fence, go to a dealership and test drive. After 10,000 miles I went from 45 mpg on average to 53! Fantastic!!

Favorite Features

The included Bluetooth, 8 speaker JBL system, and Keyless Entry/Ignition. These are what made me feel like I was really getting a good value out of the Prius III (besides the obvious excellent MPG). Most of all, the 53 mpg. My last tank of gas cost $25 at $3.17/gallon. I was on my last bar, so getting low. Mind you, the Prius will tell you when it's time to refuel with a pleasant ding and a blinking screen. That's usually when you're down to about 15 miles left in your tank. Another feature I like. Until then, don't worry! Even on that last bar you have a ways to go.

Suggested Improvements

That darn Reverse-ding. It should be easily turned on/off but I've found nothing in the manual telling me how to do so. I feel like I'm driving a dump truck when I go into reverse. Not fun! If Toyota could make the Prius a smidge more fun to drive, I would be a little less bitter about my switch from a sportier alternative (and I'm not counting the sport package Toyota offers for the Prius). Better lumbar support in the lower models, or at least the option to add it on.

Beyond my expectations
By luvtoyota10

I rented a prius because I wondered how it was, my mom's friend has one and likes it so I tried it out. This car is amazing! The gas mileage is fantastic. I can fit inside of the car with 3 other people! This car handles well, better than my Venza. The steering has a decent weight to it. The car is like a computer, I loved the display and with the back up camera with the nav, parking is a piece of cake. On the highway this car was quieter than my Venza, It also had great pick up in power mode on the highway. I knew the car had a CVT so I was not suprised by the sound of the engine not shifting. The seats were comfy too. The shifter was cool too. IT felt like a real car.

Favorite Features

The Touch Tracer display, Nav, technology, the seats, the display and settings, fuel economy, Handling, The room and design.

Suggested Improvements

The JBL sound system didnt have a subwoofer. The hatch rattled a little bit when only the driver's window was down. It could of had a tiny bit more rear seat leg room but it was fine besides that.

Beating MPG Estimates
By zkeith2

I'm averaging 51-52mpg on every tank, and this is on a relatively new Prius. I've heard that it increases after the hybrid system has several thousand miles to break in. I'd highly recommend a 10 minute YouTube video on how to maximize Prius mileage, instead of reading hours worth of blogs. It's called Prius 2010 MAX MPG Secrets by Yavor54. For highway drivers, there is a huge drop in MPG as your average speed goes from 55mpg to 70mph. If not in a huge rush, you'll get much better MPG slowing down a bit. Check EZ-Pass regulations, or state benefits of having a "Green" car. You may get access to HOV lanes even when driving alone, or get discounted bridge tolls during off-peak times.

Favorite Features

Nice ride, Love the Bluetooth that's hooked up to the car's stereo system, and upgraded sound system in Prius 3. Upscale interior feel/quality. Large windows/windshield give the car an open feel. Of course the top feature is the 500+ mile range on a tank, and averaging 51-52mpg. Love this not only for cash savings, but you do feel like you're contributing less to depleting resources, considering you're going 3-4 times as far per gallon as a full-size SUV. I love going in all-electric mode for that last mile of driving when close to home and driving more slowly on side roads.

Suggested Improvements

As others have noted, the MPG gauge always overstates the actual MPG by 3.5-4mpg. I track each fillup with the actual gallons used so 51-52 mpg is my actual MPG, while my car's display shows each tank at approx 55mpg. There is no front bumper visibility, so it's kind of a guessing game when parking until you learn your car's dimiensions better. I'd think with 10+ years of hybrid technology, the car's premium price compared to non-hybrids wouldn't be as hefty. The premium is at least $3,000 and that takes 3-5 years to make up in gas savings.

The ONE
By beaverfood

I've owned a 2011 for only 8 months, and it has 15,000 miles on it. The mpg = 54! This is my 2nd Prius. The 1st was a generation 2. The 2011 handles well, is fun to drive, and simply easy on the pocketbook.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Less road noise.

Great fuel efficient Car!
By esther78

My dad traded in his Sienna for the prius cuz he was spending $400 ~ $450 per month on gas, which is equivalent of making monthly payment on a new car, so he decided to get the best fuel efficient car - the Prius! After the purchase, we went to Penn, 189mile one way, on a full tank, and on our way back, we filled it up again, so all in all, we spent $37 for a 378 mile trip! Amazing! It's only been less than a week we had the car, but it's def worth the purchase! I would recommend anyone looking to purchase a car to buy Prius!

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable sitting.