2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius model:
Awful road noise makes otherwise good car unbearable
By gregarious988 on 07/10/14 15:49 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yes, claims of 50+ mpg are true. In summer in Wisconsin I find myself getting 49 to 54mpg with each fill up without trying. The car is also functionally practical and the rear hatch is nice. All of this is countered by the fact that this car does seemingly nothing to insulate/dampen road noise. Quite literally, you will hear your tires going over ever pebble composing the blacktop pavement underneath you. In the 1998 Civic I used to drive, road noise was very noticeable above 55 mph. In the Prius, it is noticeable quite literally at 15mph and above. Trips of 1 hour or more at 55mph+ on anything but a freshly paved blacktop road will leave you feeling partially deaf.

worth every penny
By chetmet on 04/13/14 10:45 AM (PDT)

We purchased a Prius C back in 2013 and was VERY surprised. It tells you how many MPG you are getting and how much you spent... when you fill up it will ask you how much you paid per gallon and all you do is punch it in. I tested the accuracy after the end of the day and much to my surprise it was dead on or less. We get 55 to 67 MPG unless it is raining, windy or you drive too fast then it 45-47 MPG but I don't need to drive 70 MPH Because of how happy I was with the Prius C I went out and purchased a Prius III and it is sweet! Much bigger lots of room, leather, fully loaded, 8 speaker sound system, etc. but I only get 50-55 MPG. It is very quiet in the city and highway. No regrets

Not Without Compromises
By wcascrs on 03/19/13 18:58 PM (PDT)

I like the car because it's very easy to use with its Smart Key entry and Push Button Start. I also like the way the hybrid system works and sure don't mind the 50 MPG combined. But power and handling are lacking and it lets road noise right on in. Climbing steep hills around here gets the gas engine pretty worked up, and it lets you know it too, right into the cabin with the road nose. It has a torsion beam rear suspension and goes around corners ok, but it has a fair amount of body roll doing so and gets a little unsettled over bumps. it seat four really well, five adults not so much.

Awesome car, if you like rattles
By waterweb1 on 03/10/13 12:54 PM (PDT)

I love my Prius for many reasons, The back seat has a ton of room, I get between 40 -46 MPG depdning on weather and it is a really fun car to drive in. I call it my "space ship car". The downside is the rattles! I know it is not a luxury car but i think that Toyota can do a much better job preventing these rattles. I am not sure I would have bought this car if I had known about this issue. It does NOT get 48 mpg either. It gets about 40 in wet and up to 46 in dry weather. That is city/mixed driving in rush hour traffic. I think the dash board lay out can use some improvement as well. After driving for a couple of years, I still find myself searching for buttons

From Zoom Zoom to Sip Sip...
By moondog12 on 06/30/12 11:16 AM (PDT)

I traded in a 2009 Mazda 6, that I loved, for a 2011 Prius III. It darn near broke my heart to do so, but I did it because of my 70 mile + daily commute into the DC Area. I had a friend with a 2010 Prius and she couldn't recommend it enough, so I finally gave in and started calling dealerships once gas prices hit $3.50 a gallon. I got my Prius as an end of year special and I must say, I'm impressed. While it certainly doens't Zoom Zoom like my last car, it has umph in Power Mode! Don't let the ho-hum of the hybrid nature fool you. These cars *can* be zippy. If you're on the fence, go to a dealership and test drive. After 10,000 miles I went from 45 mpg on average to 53! Fantastic!!

Beyond my expectations
By luvtoyota10 on 06/11/12 13:31 PM (PDT)

I rented a prius because I wondered how it was, my mom's friend has one and likes it so I tried it out. This car is amazing! The gas mileage is fantastic. I can fit inside of the car with 3 other people! This car handles well, better than my Venza. The steering has a decent weight to it. The car is like a computer, I loved the display and with the back up camera with the nav, parking is a piece of cake. On the highway this car was quieter than my Venza, It also had great pick up in power mode on the highway. I knew the car had a CVT so I was not suprised by the sound of the engine not shifting. The seats were comfy too. The shifter was cool too. IT felt like a real car.

Beating MPG Estimates
By zkeith2 on 04/09/12 09:25 AM (PDT)

I'm averaging 51-52mpg on every tank, and this is on a relatively new Prius. I've heard that it increases after the hybrid system has several thousand miles to break in. I'd highly recommend a 10 minute YouTube video on how to maximize Prius mileage, instead of reading hours worth of blogs. It's called Prius 2010 MAX MPG Secrets by Yavor54. For highway drivers, there is a huge drop in MPG as your average speed goes from 55mpg to 70mph. If not in a huge rush, you'll get much better MPG slowing down a bit. Check EZ-Pass regulations, or state benefits of having a "Green" car. You may get access to HOV lanes even when driving alone, or get discounted bridge tolls during off-peak times.

The ONE
By beaverfood on 10/30/11 02:51 AM (PDT)

I've owned a 2011 for only 8 months, and it has 15,000 miles on it. The mpg = 54! This is my 2nd Prius. The 1st was a generation 2. The 2011 handles well, is fun to drive, and simply easy on the pocketbook.

Great fuel efficient Car!
By esther78 on 07/16/11 07:37 AM (PDT)

My dad traded in his Sienna for the prius cuz he was spending $400 ~ $450 per month on gas, which is equivalent of making monthly payment on a new car, so he decided to get the best fuel efficient car - the Prius! After the purchase, we went to Penn, 189mile one way, on a full tank, and on our way back, we filled it up again, so all in all, we spent $37 for a 378 mile trip! Amazing! It's only been less than a week we had the car, but it's def worth the purchase! I would recommend anyone looking to purchase a car to buy Prius!

New 2011 Prius owner
By wizard10 on 06/12/11 16:25 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2011 Prius 3 3 weeks ago and I love it. I wanted to post here for others that might be looking and save a step. I bought the Prius because of my 150 mile daily commute and had prevoiusly owned a FORESTER. As much as the Forester is a great car I was avg 24 miles and filling up 3 times a week. The Prius is great to drive, comfortable for a 6 ft person, great gas mileage.. the car is easier to get into than the Forester, seats are firmer than the forester.. Anyway, I looked at the new Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and it does not compare..main reason besides gas is the trunk- the battery takes up so much space that you only have 10 sq ft of space- you cant put anything in there.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota Prius Hatchback in VA is:

$112 per month*