2009 Toyota Prius Consumer Review: What about hidden maintenance

2009 Toyota Prius - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

What about hidden maintenance costs?
By Ken C on

2009 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've driven my Prius for 36k miles. My love is simply summarized Ė 48 MPG! But will fuel savings be lost to unexpected maintenance costs? My car isnít old enough to have real maintenance issues yet, but Iím wary. The engineers were great at building a complex car with great gas mileage, but lousy at creating a car that can be easily maintained. There's no room under the hood, so there's no way to do a simple DIY like replacing a headlight without extensive work. I tried DIY, but gave up. In the end, the dealer replaced it (in about two hours of labor) for $200+ (for a $10 bulb?!). Thatís crazy talk man! People need to know up front that there could be high unforeseen maintenance costs.

Fuel efficiency and environmental friendliness!! Sure there's no pep or sex appeal to it, but it does the job, and does it very efficiently. I'm also pleasantly impressed with the amount of room in what I expected to be a too small interior.

Improve the plain interior, and definitely make room under the hood. Owners should be able to perform routine DIY maintenance without having to take the entire car apart to get to a headlight bulb (or without paying someone else). That just shows insufficient concern for end users by the designers.