2007 Toyota Matrix 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Jack of all trades

2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan on

2007 Toyota Matrix XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Favorite Features

Handling, fuel economy, reliability, versatility, looks, low emissions, strong brakes, fun!

Suggested Improvements

As others have noted, needs more driver's seat adjustments and could also use a telescoping steering wheel. Stock stereo is barely adequate at best, and mine isn't even the base model, it is the optional stereo! The shifter is OK but could be better - it's kind of notchy.