Our first Toyota -- it's a mixed bag
By gregrasa on
2014 Toyota Highlander Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
We have a Volvo XC70, Honda Accord, Mustang. Added Highlander to get 7 seats. It's good, but suffers in comparison to the others. Nice inside, but nothing like the Volvo. Drives fine, but not *fun* like the Accord, Mustang. It's an SUV, so it's doomed to be a lummox. Front of car looks nice. Rear: odd! JBL stereo: Sound was muddy, bad. Dealership clueless. I finally discovered, in an Entune menu that was *not* Audio, a setting for "surround sound." Changed it to "stereo." Was like a veil was lifted. Still, the sound seems all up in the dashboard -- you must slide the fader nearly all the way back to get sound from all around. Overall: Competent, quiet, boring. That's Toyota!
Favorite Features
Interior is nice at first glance. Nicer than Toyotas have been in recent years -- I've been in friends' Toyotas that have seemed chintzy. Rented a Camry last week that seemed super cheapo. (Some materials are cheap, tho. See my next field. CR's new review also notes this.) Seats are comfortable, though not Volvo comfy. (That's a high bar. Volvo seats are the best in the car biz.) Great storage space, especially center console. Good highway mileage. (But city mileage is a disappointment, and I baby it.) Some of the info is good -- weather, traffic, stuff in the dashboard driver display ... Cooled seats might be nice come summer. The backup camera is a must with a rig like this.
Suggested Improvements
Add stop-start technology. Why doesn't it have this? (Because Toyota wants us to buy the hybrid, I'm sure.) Ditch proprietary roof rails. I shrugged when I bought the car, but now I'm mad: Can't use my Yakimas, must buy $300 crossbars. Entune could be better in many ways. As stated above, a key stereo setting was not under "Audio." Also, if using nav, I want the nav window full-screen. System pops back to home-screen panels after 20 seconds. Grr. Some cabin materials remain cheap: Fuzzy stuff on second-row seatbacks. Carpets. Plastic in cargo area. Stands out from what got spiffed up. Alarm went off at airport, ran battery down. 12 am jumpstart! Should cut off after 10 mins.