2004 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - You Get More Than You

2004 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Review

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

CE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

You Get More Than You Pay For
By db on

2004 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I had always looked past the Corollas when considering Toyota cars. The Camry was the one to get, period. After two weeks of driving this one-owner used 2004 model CE (29k miles), I've changed my mind. Yes, it's an economy car. But I'm surprised how solid and secure it feels on the road. Acceleration is peppy, handling is tight, and braking is perfect. It's also much quieter than I expected, even at highway speeds (a function of good insulation and the automatic transmission's overdrive that allows for surprisingly low RPMs at 60+ mph). The trunk is very large, considering the size of the car, and the interior leg/head room is respectable. It's a perfect commuter vehicle.

Favorite Features

Attractive interior/exterior design. LATCH system for securing child seats (with top-side anchors on the rear window shelf). Fold-down split rear seats; large trunk. Decent stereo/CD sound (with a little equalizer adjustment).

Suggested Improvements

Side-impact air bags should be standard equipment on ALL models - front and back seat. Also, a more standard bezel for the stereo/CD would allow for an easier upgrade/replacement with a non-Toyota model.